Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:07 PM   #1

California Plates

We bought a toad in San Diego over a year ago. I used our south dakota mailing address on all the paperwork. The state of California renews the tags with the SD address? I haven't bothered to change it because it is only 100 bucks to renew. Just wondering if California does this or did they make a mistake??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 04:16 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, California will register your vehicle with any mailing address you want (and collect the fees and tax).

The rules are geared to prevent out of state registrations being used by CA residents...very often OR, because of lost revenue.

I submit that you will have no issues unless until CA wants the bi-annual SMOG inspection for renewal (required for any car older than 5yrs or newer than 1975 model year) or your state of residence starts doing enforcement to prevent lost revenues...CA even has a 800 number to report vehicle registration fraud

Just wondering...what car has registration of only $100?

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

Just wondering...what car has registration of only $100?
Gotta be an older, non-commercial vehicle. My 1959 Chevy Apache 1/2 ton is over that. LOL.
BigDBright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:44 PM   #4

I think it is actually 105.00 its a 07 Chev Malibu. This will be my second renewal and no smog test yet, if they do I will smog it if we are in the area or transfer the registration over to South Dakota our full time mailing address. Its actually cheaper in south dakota I just keep putting it off. How much is a smog test anyway? Thanks!
Old 03-29-2015, 11:49 PM   #5

Smog test can be anywhere from $50-$90 depending on the vehicle. It will be more if any adjustments are needed. I always go to a "test only" location, they are generally really quick and I've never had a car/truck fail there.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We would never go to a "Test Only" station unless directed to by the DMV at renewal.
They typically cost more and any glitch is an auto failure
Failure means they keep the charge, and you have to find a new shop for the next test (with any needed adjustment). And the next bi-annual will be a "Test Only" required.

The SMOG certificate itself is $8.25. The rest of the price charged is labor for the shop. Starts at about $20 and more.
See: Smog Check Program Questions and Answers

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
We would never go to a "Test Only" station unless directed to by the DMV at renewal.
They typically cost more and any glitch is an auto failure
Failure means they keep the charge, and you have to find a new shop for the next test (with any needed adjustment). And the next bi-annual will be a "Test Only" required.

The SMOG certificate itself is $8.25. The rest of the price charged is labor for the shop. Starts at about $20 and more.
See: Smog Check Program Questions and Answers

Best luck
Not necessarily true, we have been using this guy for over 20 years and never had a car/truck fail. If it doesn't pass, nothing goes to the DMV, he just tells you what it is and how to fix it. For example we had an issue where the check engine light came on, so we took it in and it was just the gas cap wasn't on good enough. The dealer reset it for free(would do it by itself after so many start ups) anyway we had to get the car smogged and took it in. Apparently there needs to be so many miles between having a sensor being reset and the vehicle being able to pass the smog test. This came up when he started the check o the computer. He told us to put 200 miles on it and come back. The next week we went in had it smogged and it passed without issue. We didn't have to find a new shop or re-pay for the test, and we weren't referred as a "test Only" shop vehicle.

I did have a time when a truck failed in a regular smog check station, and we were automatically referred as a "test only" vehicle. The fix was a bad plug wire, after the next smog test where it passed without issue it was taken off the "test only" status. So we haven't experienced what you are talking about, and the cost for us this year was $50, which is about the normal cost of a regular shop when you add in the certificate along with the labor, which is all done by computer now.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:40 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mike and Charlotte,

I am not making this stuff up, I have experienced it including a visit to BAR Referee.

If a Test-Only shop has a failure during an exam but the report is not sent to Sacramento, then they did not execute a test-only SMOG inspection. They can tell in advance if there may be a failure during set-up/machine calibration...possibly what you experienced.

I do not doubt the details of the stories above...just saying that when a Test-Only exam is done, the equipment electronically transmits the results real-time to the DMV system in Sacramento. That VIN is recorded and is referred as a required Test-Only for the next bi-annual.

You mention being a regular, so the tech was probably just being a good guy. Did they let you go without paying for the first failure exam with for gas cap?

The least expensive SMOG tests are typically on $19.95 coupons plus the $8.25 certificate = $28.20. We watch the Penny Saver for coupons

To the OP, the SMOG check would have been required for a 2007 model in 2013 (burden is on the seller). That takes the car to 2015 (2016 registration) for the next SMOG Check. You "should" see it next time.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-01-2015, 12:30 AM   #9

No this guy is on the up and up, we paid him and he started the test, every was going great until the computer flagged that the "Check Engine" light had been reset. He asked why and we told him about the gas cap issue. He told us to drive it for 200 miles, we did and came back, no charge and it passed without issue. Never came up as a "Test Only" vehicle, for future smog checks.

I do know what you are talking about when you fail a smog check, but you only get sent to "test Only" for future smog checks if you were determined to be a "gross Polluter", so all I'm saying is it depends why you failed and not where you failed. Just because you fail at the "test only" site does not mean you will have to do "test only" the next time. The only time I ever had to go to a test only facility was when I had a failure at a regular smog check place. That is how I found this guy, he passed the truck( after we replaced the plug wires), and the next smog didn't require a "test Only" facility. We haven't went anywhere else since, and have never had another failure.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:25 AM   #10
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does CA still do a tailpipe emissions test or did they do like AZ?

AZ converted over to OBD-II test. They only do tailpipe if you don't have OBD-II

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CA has always used a probe in the exhaust pipe...cars back to 1976 model year are still checked.

The newer cars with OBD get connected to the machine and the get the probe too.

Our gas powered RV has dual exhausts, so it get's 2 probes.

The funniest thing to me is that CA has NO safety inspection like so many other states...leaving the equipment checks to the street cops to enforce.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #12

Just had my 2006 Toyota 4Runner smogged about five months ago. I was surprised when they didn't use the probe. The mechanic told me this was the first year(2014) they don't have to use the probe on the newer cars with the OBD. I thought something was wrong when he stopped the test without doing the probe, turned out he was done and it passed.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
CA SMOG Check Program Areas

So, I learned something new...there's 3 levels of SMOG checks in CA...Change of Ownership only, Basic, and Enhanced.

Change of Ownership Only is self explanatory. Looks like Basic requires bi-annual checks for "specified model year vehicles". And, Enhanced is the most strict. Of course most of San Diego (and all of OC) is enhanced.
Don't know exactly what the difference there is - maybe bi-annual for all model years(?).
Smog Check Program Areas

I wonder when and where the OBD (only) became policy?...SMOG'd our RV in April 2014 which required OBD and a probe.

So, the OP might never need a SMOG check depending on where the original purchase was made.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 04-02-2015, 11:20 PM   #14

Quote:
I wonder when and where the OBD (only) became policy?...SMOG'd our RV in April 2014 which required OBD and a probe.

I'm not sure when they started not using the probe, but we did ours in late September. I was really surprised, as he hooked up to the OBD and then did his visual inspection, checked under the car/hood, and then shut the hood and unhooked everything. Like I said I thought something was wrong, and had failed for some reason, as he never put the probe in or drove it up on the rollers. When I asked him why he didn't do that he said it is no longer required, as the OBD gives them everything they need, and if there is anything that is in question then they do the probe. Our car that this happened with is a 2006 Toyota 4Runner, so I don't know if maybe the year made a difference, or maybe they do use the probes on all RV's.

Tags
california