Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2015, 03:40 PM   #1

Camera setting

I recently installed a new rear camera...Class A Fleetwood.. I plan on towing this year for the first time.... Is there any set distance on the rear camera?? Should I see the towbar?? or maybe just the vehicle and back??
Right now it's set at 5ft to the rear...Looks like it'll be good...Maybe it's just a preference thing...Any ideas??
sammax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I know the tow bar is O.K. when the toad behaves. I have my camera set to see the toad, left and right lanes beside it, and to the rear of the toad. That way I can see vehicles coming up to pass on either side. My camera, mounted at the roof line, doesn't show my rear bumper, but I know when something disappears from view in the camera I have about 3 feet to go before I hit it. The camera gives me a closer look at things behind me than either of my cars which are not equipped with rear cameras. (March 31, 2014 U.S. passed law that all cars must have rear cameras by 2018. Many already have them)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #3

I have 2 rear view cameras. 1 is set to see the hitch, and the front of the toad. My other camera is set to the horizon and it has a 170 degree horizontal viewing angle. Both are monitored the time while I am driving and both driver and passenger can see what is going on back there. Works for me.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I have 2 rear view cameras. 1 is set to see the hitch, and the front of the toad. My other camera is set to the horizon and it has a 170 degree horizontal viewing angle. Both are monitored the time while I am driving and both driver and passenger can see what is going on back there. Works for me.
This is interesting. Did you add the 2nd camera or was it already installed when you bought your MH? Does it display on the same monitor as the other rear camera (like a split screen) or do you have a 2nd monitor?

Jack
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #5

Jrwitt

One camera and monitor was provided by the coach OEM. That monitor is located in a split view in my Center Rear View Mirror.(I have a rear window in this coach). I installed a second camera and a 7 in monitor that has 4 video inputs that can display single, 2 or 4 split screens. This DIY system uses wireless communication but I could have run a cable. It was just easier to use wireless. I am going to put a 4 channel DVR in and use these and somehow incorporate a Dash Cam that provides GPS data into the equation and record from multiple sources all at the same time. I did put a temporary camera that covered the interior behind me. Good for keeping track of what is going on inside and enabling me to see the people who might be there. This is more or less worked like a conversation mirror. I noted some of the new mercedes cars have 360 degree exterior monitoring.

See this: http://techcenter.mercedes-benz.com/...ra/detail.html

Wonder when RV's will have this as an OEM option - would be cool with a large capacity DVR installed.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 07:04 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. That is good information. I will look into it.

Jack
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera