Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-14-2014, 05:43 AM   #1

Campground restrictions on towed trailer

Hi everyone....we just purchased a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS. It's our first experience with RV'ing and have not taken our first trip yet but are leaving tomorrow for California from Texas. Are there any restrictions on pulling 6x12 enclosed trailers into your camp site at most rv camps? I've read that some require you to park trailer in separate location but is that the norm? I would like to have it close by because I will be hauling my Harley and other camping gear. We love the MH but it is lacking in storage, especially with grand kids along.
Thanks for any help and look forward to meeting ya'll on the road....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2014, 05:51 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best advice would be to call ahead to any parks your interested in staying at. That way you won't be surprised. When on the road I'm sure you can get a pull thru site and stay hooked but if your intending on staying a while that may be a different story. Good luck and hope it all works out. As an example here in our park, additional trailers must be stored off the premises.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:54 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2. I agree with the advice you got from Steve and Sal.

Good luck and congrats.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

Boy, I didn't expect a reply so soon! Thanks for the info and I guess we'll just take it one campground at a time
Old 02-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I feel bad, I didn't even say "WELCOME ABOARD". Glad you're here and hope you enjoy the site.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #6

It is definitely not the norm to be asked to unhook. We have towed a series of car trailers since 1977, and unhooked four times. Once because of campground requirements, and the others because of site length limitations. Our rigs have been relatively short, current length is 52 ft. We always ask for a pull-through site, and state our length needs.

Good luck with your new MH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltEngr View Post
Hi everyone....we just purchased a 2014 Jayco Greyhawk 29KS. It's our first experience with RV'ing and have not taken our first trip yet but are leaving tomorrow for California from Texas. Are there any restrictions on pulling 6x12 enclosed trailers into your camp site at most rv camps? I've read that some require you to park trailer in separate location but is that the norm? I would like to have it close by because I will be hauling my Harley and other camping gear. We love the MH but it is lacking in storage, especially with grand kids along.
Thanks for any help and look forward to meeting ya'll on the road....
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:12 AM   #7

Generally there are problems with trailers if

1. It's an additional camping unit. Many will not allow a motorhome to also pull a camping trailer and have both on one site.

2. If you are going to unhook your trailer. Once unhooked, many parks won't let you keep it on your site.

3. You have your utility trailer, your motorhome, plus other car(s) on your site. If you have a car coming along too, then they will probably ask you to park the trailer somewhere other than your site.

So the advice to call ahead is good if any of this may apply to you. Good news is that most places will have a place to park your trailer.

If I were just passing thru for the night or a day or two, and were using a pull-through site, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some parks I have visited have strict rules about trailers.. Such as "You must park your trailer in the Trailer parking lot and pay a storage fee UNLESS it remains attached to your RV" Some with out the exception.

Some Well. there was a class A here with an enclosed trailer that stuck off site completely blocking the road.. And nobody in management made 'em move it.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We haul a 12' Harley trailer and sometimes a 28' race car trailer. Unless it's a state or federal campground we ALWAYS call ahead and tell them we have a trailer behind us. If they say we can't have it in our spot we find another place to stay. That's pretty rare.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 01:38 PM   #10

I cant imagine staying anywhere more than 2-3 days so hopefully it wont be a problem but will definitely call ahead. Thanks everyone and I appreciate the welcomes....Keep em rolling!

Tags
campground