Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Camry as toad ?

I was thinking about a Camry as a 4 down toad but according to Toyota they cannot be towed with automatic ? I see lots of them being towed 4 down so what's up ? Do all these have standard transmission?

Thanks
Bill
Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toyota says none of their vehicles are towable but a lot of people tow them.

Check REMCO to see what they say about yours.

Store : Remco

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine is a manual transmission. Great toad, not too heavy, and unbelievably reliable. The best part was when I saw it at my local dealership, the dealer almost gave it to me. Manual transmission family cars don't sell too well.
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #4

Recommended Vehicles : Remco

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

You can tow the automatic front wheel drives, both Hybrid and gas, on a Tow Dolly, but not 4 down. We have the Toyota Camry Hybrid and got verification from Toyota that it could be towed on a dolly.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have really been pleased with the two Camrys we have owned. Because of the quality, I wanted to buy a Toyota pickup as a toad. I was at a dealership about to make a deal, and commented about my intention to tow. The manager ( not the salesman ) told me " know way do you buy a Toyota too tow. If you bring it in for service or any other repair, and we see tow bars, or any towing equipment, we will void your warranty". Really?

I went down the road and bought a Nissan pickup.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
The manager ( not the salesman ) told me " know way do you buy a Toyota too tow. If you bring it in for service or any other repair, and we see tow bars, or any towing equipment, we will void your warranty". Really?

NO, not really. That manager nor any dealership person including the Dealer Principle has the authority to deny warranty coverage, because the dealership does not warranty the vehicle. The vehicle manufacturer is the only entity that can deny warranty coverage and even then it must reviewed by the appropriate manufacturer management before the dealer can refuse to do warranty repairs. I know how the system works legally having been that level of management for the worlds largest vehicle manufacturer.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
Community Moderator

don't think any toyota passenger vehicles with auto trans can be towed 4 down per user's manuals. if one insists on towing it that way, a dealer can easily void the warranty no matter they will consult with the manufacturer or not, as the evidence is obvious that he/she does not follow the application/maintenance instructions. the same logic applies to a vehicle with salvage title - the dealer will say no on the spot, regardless how low the mileage it has and how new it is. the best scenario is that ask them to cover all other parts of the vehicle while transmission is out.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:07 AM   #9

I have been towing my 2007 Camry SE automatic V6 for two years now without any problems. I did install the Remco lube pump and all is good. Yes in book it written not to flat tow but with the pump it is tow-able. As for the warranty well it's been a few years it is not anymore !!!
High Ball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad