Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2016, 01:28 PM   #1

Camry Tow Car

Have Demco tow bar and am looking at a 97 Toyota Camry with baseplate and lights allready installed.toyota is a standard. Towbar is an excalibar/ demco. Toyota dealer says no need to unlock steering just put in neutral and go.have towed my corolla (auto) on tow dolly and would like to try a flat tow.thanks in advance for any advice
mjlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #2

I can't believe you should flat tow it with the steering wheel locked. Never heard of that before.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I assume the Camry is a manual transmission..

Yes, You really should unlock the steering column if you're going to be towing it 4 down..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:14 PM   #4

yeah I thought that was funny (?) too.so if I run with the steering unlocked should I disconnect battery or remove fuse and which one ? thanks again
mjlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Your manual , if you have one or can download one will give you instructions on how to tow it.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:05 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlloyd View Post
Have Demco tow bar and am looking at a 97 Toyota Camry with baseplate and lights allready installed.toyota is a standard. Towbar is an excalibar/ demco. Toyota dealer says no need to unlock steering just put in neutral and go.have towed my corolla (auto) on tow dolly and would like to try a flat tow.thanks in advance for any advice

Is it a standard transmission or an automatic transmission? If it's an automatic, it can not be towed 4 wheel without modification, such as a Remco transmission lube pump.

I did not know that any Honda Camry came with an option of standard transmission in '97, but I am probably just ignorant.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I use an acme dolly to tow my Camry., so I need to have the steering unlocked. I leave the key in the ignition and in the ACC position.

I make sure the radio is off. I've never had any problems running the battery down.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"I did not know that any Honda Camry came with an option of standard transmission in '97, but I am probably just ignorant."

The Camry is made by Toyota
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:11 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not only ignorant, but "Old Timer Disease" as well! And to think, I owned a TOYOTA Camry in the '90s!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

It may be that his '97 Camry doesn't have a locking steering column. It's not the only way to provide anti-theft. [My 2013 Buick Verano doesn't lock the steering either]

In any case, the front wheels MUST be free to turn to either side, so do whatever it takes to insure that can happen.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Just did a check on the Remco website. It confirms that your Camry is flat towable. ( which you probably already know ) It's good to get a second opinion. I used this site to check out my 2004 Toyota Tacoma.

Store : Remco

You might want to install an RVIbrake Towed battery charger to keep your battery charged.

Not sure if you have made a toad brake decision yet, but I am also happy with my RviBrake2.

Regards, Jerry

Tags
tow