Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 07:16 PM   #1

Can A Toad Add Stability.

First time out on the road with a Toad. Is it possible that our Georgetown 2016 360 TS, has improved stability? It was pretty windy driving on I 40 towards Amarillo and I was pretty amazed how quickly I was going down the road, with a little effort with the steering wheel. So I wonder if the strength of the towbar provided greater stability to the back end.
Thank You
kentdavido is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Not that I have found.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You probably have a Ford F53 chassis without a rear track bar? If so, yes. I experienced similar on our previous coach before adding a rear track bar.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:32 PM   #4

Can A Toad Add Stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
You probably have a Ford F53 chassis without a rear track bar? If so, yes. I experienced similar on our previous coach before adding a rear track bar.

It's a 2016, i'll crawl back under this week and see what we have. But I was pretty amazed. I guess I don't understand what a tracking bar does.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #5

Ties the rear to the frame to stop side to side movement to the rear end and leaf springs. Also does what a panard bar does if you are into Performance cars.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 08:40 PM   #6

Chinook Destiny w/CRV Toad

Not too sure yet on the stability, Chevy G3500 cutaway chassis, but whereas I used to deal with understear, the toad seems to have flipped it all to overstear, especially under slower driving conditions.
MarkK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 03:24 AM   #7

We have a steering stabilizer, which helps compensate for the front issues. I'm not overally technical guy but it seems the strength of the hitch and we used Stowaways Hitch Immobilizer, with the Blue Ox Tow, connected to a longer wheelbase Jeep grounded the back end. Our connection to the Jeep is level. It seems to me the NOW longer frame line balanced out the rig. Before this coach was a all over the place in wind. Just an observation.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't see how pulling a toad could affect stability!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Absolutely!

Our last coach (gas) had less rocking from wind and passing trucks. It also had less bounce when going over big bumps.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Absolutely!

I had a 34 foot gasser and the toad definitely helped in the wind. It helped to the point that I would take the toad if I anticipated a windy drive even if my destination didn't require it. Also passing semi's and the bow-wave effect's improved.

On my 43 foot pusher it didn't help or hurt.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I don't see how pulling a toad could affect stability!
It's very simple, the toad helps reshape the air slip stream behind the coach. Instead of having an abrupt, large vacuum vortex immediately behind the coach the toad tends to taper this into a narrower air corridor behind both leading to a more stable air flow around both vehicles. This is why a coach towing a toad tends to be more stable feeling. It's all about aerodynamics and coefficients of drag.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:48 PM   #12

Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
It's very simple, the toad helps reshape the air slip stream behind the coach. Instead of having an abrupt, large vacuum vortex immediately behind the coach the toad tends to taper this into a narrower air corridor behind both leading to a more stable air flow around both vehicles. This is why a coach towing a toad tends to be more stable feeling. It's all about aerodynamics and coefficients of drag.
EXACTLY! My race car mentor used to say that it's not necessarily how you cut into the wind, it's how you put it back together behind you. Think of the shape of an egg..........fat at the front and narrow at the other end. One of the most aerodynamic shapes in nature.
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:44 PM   #13

We have a Ford f53 without a trackbar. The toad does help with the stab stability. Think of it as the tail on a kite, it makes a difference on our unit.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:21 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think I ever noticed the toad helping to improve stability..

I know when I did the CHF modification and replaced my worn out shocks, this greatly improved stability.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad