Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #1

Can all manual FWD tranmission cars be flat towed?

Hi,

I am currently toad shopping.
I drove a stick for 15 years in Europe so ok with that.

As the toad will only be uses for rv trips looking for as cheap as possible one.

I spotted a 2006 ve passat manual fwd for sale for 2,000$.

Would I be right in saying all manual FWD cars can be flat towed?

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #2

I've been using this website as a reference. Just select the car data and it will tell you if its possible.

Store : Remco
Brad2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Short answer; no. Most manual trans FWD VW's are not towable. As previous post suggested, check Remco site for tow ability of the model your looking at.

Mike H
Bubba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #4

Thanks both,

I will use that site to check other options.
Old 05-26-2018, 06:25 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most manuals are, a few are not. Then its just the opposite for the auto, most are not, a few are..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #6

Thanks Waiter.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:26 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmh View Post

Would I be right in saying all manual FWD cars can be flat towed?
All depends on the meaning of the word "can". Pretty sure that it is possible to flat tow anything...but...some of them are gonna get torn up in the process.

The very best way to be certain is to check the owner's manual for the specific vehicle that you're considering. Many of those owner's manuals are available on the vehicle manufacturer's website.

Be very careful. Some cars are towable with a certain engine/transmission and an exact same make/model/year is NOT towable with a different engine/transmission.

As an example, another thing to be careful about: a Subaru Forrester with a manual transmission model year 2015 is towable. A Subaru Forrester with a manual transmission model year 2016 is NOT towable. To the best of my knowledge, there was no change to the engine/transmission, it's just that Subaru changed the wording in the owner's manual in the 2016 model year.

So, in the case of the Subaru Forrester, is it possible to tow a 2016 with a manual transmission? Maybe it is. However, IF you ever took it back to a dealer for service on the engine/transmission and the dealer was able to demonstrate that the repair was due to damage from towing, you'll have a challenge getting that repair done under warranty.

Finally, just because you see somebody else towing a particular vehicle, don't assume that you can, too.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #8

Thanks Stu,

The remco website has been very helpful. Great idea to download the specific user manuals.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #9

This website is also helpful if you are looking for a vehicle to tow. For that purpose it’s easier than Remco.

List Flat Tow Vehicles for Your Motorhome - RV Trippin
Old 05-26-2018, 11:00 AM   #10

B-in-L had a Pontiac G-5 ? with automatic, 2002 ? , that was flat towable without a lube pump , those vehicles would be cheap by now . Base plate availability, on an older vehicle, might be an issue though.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #11

Dinghy towing guides going back to 2000.

Downloadable Dinghy Guides | MotorHome Magazine
Old 05-26-2018, 12:53 PM   #12

It’s best to look at the owners manual for cars you’re interested in. If I recall correctly, the Remco site says that my ‘17 Honda Civic manual can be towed but the owner’s manual says otherwise. The guides are good starting points but not the authority.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #13

Thanks both,

I will ensure to check a manual before buying anything.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
All depends on the meaning of the word "can". Pretty sure that it is possible to flat tow anything...but...some of them are gonna get torn up in the process.

The very best way to be certain is to check the owner's manual for the specific vehicle that you're considering. Many of those owner's manuals are available on the vehicle manufacturer's website.

Be very careful. Some cars are towable with a certain engine/transmission and an exact same make/model/year is NOT towable with a different engine/transmission.

As an example, another thing to be careful about: a Subaru Forrester with a manual transmission model year 2015 is towable. A Subaru Forrester with a manual transmission model year 2016 is NOT towable. To the best of my knowledge, there was no change to the engine/transmission, it's just that Subaru changed the wording in the owner's manual in the 2016 model year.

So, in the case of the Subaru Forrester, is it possible to tow a 2016 with a manual transmission? Maybe it is. However, IF you ever took it back to a dealer for service on the engine/transmission and the dealer was able to demonstrate that the repair was due to damage from towing, you'll have a challenge getting that repair done under warranty.

Finally, just because you see somebody else towing a particular vehicle, don't assume that you can, too.

Take care,
Stu
I flat tow a 2015 Subaru Forester with absolutely no problem. The manual transmission is a 6F1R unit ~ fun to drive a real car again. The biggest problem was; 1. Reading the operator’s manual to my 20+ year sales guy. He then was able to source me one.

The future of RV toads may include wheels up?

Tags
manual, tow