Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-21-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Can-Am Spyder - Towing and Fulltiming

The Can-Am Spyder seems to be a fun way to travel the curvy roads of Colorado ...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Look at these to do the job Mighty Hauler - Premier manufacturer of rear hitch carriers

Old 06-23-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just curious, are you an experienced motorcycle rider?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
The Can-Am Spyder seems to be a fun way to travel the curvy roads of Colorado ...

You are having us one about wanting to hang a 30,000 Spyder on the back of your MH and then add a Jeep behind that. The Spyder Gods would SMITE you!!

Seriously you would end up spending hours detailing the Spyder after each journey. And you know all of the nooks and crannies that will get dirty.

A car hauler or stacker would be a prudent way to keep road grime off the Spyder and Jeep.

Our car and two Gold Wings will be safely in a stacker behind us.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #5

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
Just curious, are you an experienced motorcycle rider?
No, I'm not. But, it is one of those things that I wish I had done when I was younger. Now, as I get ready for retirement, I don't think I want to take up 2 wheel motorcycling. But, the Spyder seems to be a safer way for us old fogies to enjoy open air riding.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #6

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
... A car hauler or stacker would be a prudent way to keep road grime off the Spyder and Jeep.

Our car and two Gold Wings will be safely in a stacker behind us.
You may right. Towing just the Jeep may be okay, but adding the bike to the back of the RV as well may be too much. The only thing about going with a car hauler or stacker would be the issues of parking it at an RV park, etc.

Take a look at this beauty. The DW loves the color on this one ...

Old 06-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #7

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
No, I'm not. But, it is one of those things that I wish I had done when I was younger. Now, as I get ready for retirement, I don't think I want to take up 2 wheel motorcycling. But, the Spyder seems to be a safer way for us old fogies to enjoy open air riding.

Actually, you may be better off having NOT been a rider, a CanAm is an interesting machine, but with significantly different handling characteristics than a "true" motorcycle. I can't comfortably "unlearn" engrained habits of fifty plus years on bikes...LOL.

I did test ride a buddies for a couple of hours, not my cup of tea, but a fun ride nonetheless. They had a few quirks when first coming on the market, but I understand the wrinkles have been smoothed out. Wish I could say the same for my personal wrinkles...

Take care, and have fun!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.looktrailers.com/gallery/...hadow_GT_2.pdf

You may not need a stacker, but you probably do need to get the Jeep and Spyder out of the mud and muck and inside an enclosed car hauler. You need at least a 24' regular race trailer such as the Shadow GT linked to above. You need a model with "24" in the model number (indicates box length), and you probably need the 9,900 pounds GVWR to be certain you don't overload the trailer. The Spyder is almost 9' long, and the Jeep is almost 13' long. So your Jeep plus Spyder will be around 22' overall length. A 23' 7" interior length would be close to perfect for your need to haul the two vehicles nose to tail with a little wiggle room.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #9

Hydra-lift, has a spider rack that works great. We've used one to haul a rzr-s for the past few years down to Mexico. Aprox 7000 miles each year and no problems. 45ft coach towing a mid size SUV. Not cheap but by far the easiest. And not having a trailer to deal with and extra charges at some RV parks here in the US. Really like the lift.

Jim
Old 06-24-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
But, I would never buy one of the new Spyders at $30000. I'm sure there are lots of buyers that will buy a new one and then get bored with it or not use it as much as they thought they would after just a few years. I bet you there are great buys on a barely used 5-year old unit.
We have been looking for a used Spyder for a friend for a while but have not found anything used that is on the market very long or an exceptional deal. But there will be something out there eventually.

I demoed a Spyder and when I go to three wheels I will have the option of triking my Gold Wing or buying a Spyder. At this moment I would go for the Spyder. Way better ride than my Gold Wing and the wifes Gold Wing trike.

The only downside is the proprietary tire on the Spyder. Costs a lot and with the final drive setup quite costly for labour to replace.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #11

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Hydra-lift, has a spider rack that works great. We've used one to haul a rzr-s for the past few years down to Mexico. Aprox 7000 miles each year and no problems. 45ft coach towing a mid size SUV. Not cheap but by far the easiest. And not having a trailer to deal with and extra charges at some RV parks here in the US. Really like the lift.

Jim
I think it's about $4500

CanAm Spyder - Hydralift-USA

I think I would go with this setup instead of a trailer. I don't think I want to tow a trailer or stacker all over the country.

With this setup, I can always take some trips with the Jeep only, the Spyder but not Jeep, or both.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:53 PM   #12

cucotx.
Well Sir, there's lots to think about when one considers adding that much weight to the rear of any coach. First off, as has been stated, a "lift" is what you're going to need, not a "hitch mounted" one. A hitch mounted carrier is one that can be used for a much smaller, less cumbersome motorcycle like say a, 100 cc to around 400 cc. They are not too hard to load, especially with a ramp etc.

But, I've hauled a Honda, GL 1800 Goldwing on a Hydralift on the back of our coach. The coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330Hp CAT. I did the installation on it. There's a ton to think about when taking on a project like that. The 1800 Goldwing tips the scales at close to 900 lbs. The Hydralift runs about, 375+ lbs. But, there's one SERIOUS item to consider here. 900 + 375 = 1275 lbs. 1275 lbs. directly over the rear axle is one thing but, when it's "hanging" back behind the coach, it's actually "cantilevering" weight back there and in effect, is adding much more than the 1275 lbs.

I know because I did all the weight measurements before the addition of the lift and, after the lift and the bike were installed. My rear axle has a GAWR of, 17,500 lbs. I was actually running down the road with 21,000 lbs. on the rear axle. Now, no one died, there were no catastrophies, no worlds colliding because I was overweight. The coach handled it just fine, there was no ill handling effects, no wandering, no porpoising, NOTHING!

We did it for over 8,000 miles without one issue ever cropping up. But, due to ultieriour circumstances, we changed the way we now carry the Wing.

What I'm getting at is, before you get too excited about carrying that Can-Am back there, do your homework. You need to know,
1. What your specs are on your GAWR, front and rear,
2. EXACTLY what does your rig weigh, while motoring down the road, fully loaded with all gear, fluids, people, tools and much, more?
3. What kind of structure (frame & supports) do you have for the attaching/mounting of auxiliary steel etc. for the addition of "ANY" maker of lift?

Whether or not you actually buy one or not (CAN-Am that is) and, is it good for you, can ONLY be determined by YOU. I've ridden motorcycles for over 50 years and, base on many factors, the CAN-AM is not for us. It's a neat looking machine and, has a pretty good following, lots of folks riding them. You'll also need to find out, EXACTLY what a CAN-AM weighs. In my experience, brochures tend to be off quite a bit in that kind of info. So, I'd find someone who actually KNOWS what a CAN-AM weighs. You see, when planning on adding that much weight to the rear of a coach, you need EXACT measurements.

One of the issues I particularly have with the CAN-Am is, waaaaaay tooo many RPM for freeway speeds. The engine is a "Rotax" built engine and, develops its HP at way too high. All the folks/owners I've spoken with, say their turning around 5500 - 6000 RPM at 60-65 mph. That is some seriously high rpms for longer distance freeway cruising. That also makes for SERIOUSLY POOR GAS MILAGE! They are somewhat comfortable but, lack the capability of mounting "Freeway pegs" for longer legged drivers. I have seen some on one but they were really flimsy and moved all over the place. I use my freeway pegs on the Wing almost the minute I'm in overdrive, (5th gear).

Now, the Hydralift, is by far, the best lift/carrier on the market. It's structurally, the most sound, has the least amount of moving parts, is the most stabile and, contrary to some of the beliefs out there, hydraulics have come a long way in the last few decades. I had "0" leaks on my Hydralift. It worked flawlessly, each and every time. But, the makers of Hydralift are proud of their equipment, it's also the most expensive lift/carrier on the market, hovering around $4500 without shipping, tax and, installation fees.

I purchased mine off ebay for way less than half and, it was in fabulous shape. They're out there, you just have to be ready to "jump" if and when one comes available. We now carry the Goldwing in the back of our toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab. We use the "Rampage" lift/carrier now and it, while not as refined as the Hydralift, is a good lift and does the job of hauling that 900 lb. Wing up and down, into and out of, the back of that truck, without any issues what so ever. So, anyway, just some info for you. If you'd like to know more about the inner workings of the installation of, or mechanism of the Hydralift, please feel free to PM me and I'd be glad to help. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
With this setup, I can always take some trips with the Jeep only, the Spyder but not Jeep, or both.
You can say the same thing about a 24' race trailer. Plus when you get to the playground, you won't have a dirty, nasty, paint-chipped toy to clean up.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
http://www.looktrailers.com/gallery/...hadow_GT_2.pdf

You may not need a stacker, but you probably do need to get the Jeep and Spyder out of the mud and muck and inside an enclosed car hauler. You need at least a 24' regular race trailer such as the Shadow GT linked to above. You need a model with "24" in the model number (indicates box length), and you probably need the 9,900 pounds GVWR to be certain you don't overload the trailer. The Spyder is almost 9' long, and the Jeep is almost 13' long. So your Jeep plus Spyder will be around 22' overall length. A 23' 7" interior length would be close to perfect for your need to haul the two vehicles nose to tail with a little wiggle room.
I don't know length of the Spyder, but you may be able to pull it in on the side of the trailer and park at an angle in the trailer so you don't need as much length on the trailer. I do this with my Harley Road Glide and it also reduces the amount of tongue weight significantly.

jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing