Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
l1v3fr33ord1 - I have referred to the towing guides from Motorhome Magazine many times, and they are indeed chock full of very useful information - except I'm not sure I trust it.

The manual for our 2010 Taurus SHO AWD clearly states, and I quote:
"On AWD vehicles, it is required that your vehicle be towed with a wheel lift and dollies or flatbed equipment with all the wheels off the ground to prevent damage to the automatic transmission, AWD system or vehicle."
That sounds pretty definitive and it's directly from Ford. I have no way of knowing where MM gets their information so I have no reason to accept their "guide" over Ford's own manual. Incidentally, the manual for my 2013 Veloster says 4-down will damage the transmission, but rears down is ok... again, in opposition to what MM towing guides say.

So there's a lot of conflicting information out there. I've read on a lot of forums where owners claim to have spoken to Ford Customer Service and "they said it was ok," but I've spoken to two different reps and they quoted me the manual almost verbatim. When in doubt, I'm going with my manual.

Stranger still is that a lot of AWD drive cars warn against towing 4-down, so I'm skeptical that the Taurus would be any different.

I really appreciate all your input!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
The owners manual for my Chevy HHR says NOT to tow on a dolly.

trikeleader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 PM   #17

Be careful with the generalization that ALL FWD cars can be dolly towed. Unfortunately, when narrowing down the list, need to check the owner's manual...and it can be very model/engine specific. While I see a couple 4 down that would consider, expanding looking at dolly capable as VW pays me for my Passat TDI. Not towing it or anything currently but plan to as retire next year and want the "correct" vehicle. Ruled out all AWD (not 4WD transfer case) as almost universally must be trailer towed all wheels off ground. Looking at my FWD Passat owners manual it is NOT dolly towable, at least for RV'ing. While raised front wheel towable, it specifically states only towable 1) for a distance less than 30 miles, and 2) not over 30 MPH. Finally, kudos to Ford, GM and FCA as their owners manuals have a section on "Recreational Towing" where others you have to guess when looking at the tow truck instructions.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #18
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
The vast majority of FWD cars can be towed on a dolly, however, there will be a few exceptions.

ADDITIONAL CONSIDERATION - many cars have a low front end. These may present an issue in loading/unloading the car on the dolly. i.e. the front end dragging on ramps.

The Acme dolly sits low on the ground and has removable ramps. Its probably the most forgiving frovehicles with low front ends.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow