Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can any FWD car be towed on a dolly?

Hi everyone! DW and I have been downsizing our lives for the last year or so and one of the last steps is to get rid of one of our cars. But she doesn't love driving my car - which is the one we tow - and we can't tow her car at all for a variety of reasons.

That means getting rid of both cars and buying a new/relatively new one.

Thing is that it's a daunting task to try to cross-reference cars that can be towed, on either a dolly or 4-down, with cars she might actually love to own. She's kind of a car snob and loves luxury performance cars.

I was thinking that since we already have the dolly, cross-referencing just front wheel drive cars would be a LOT easier and we'd probably be able to find something she'd love. So I was hoping you smarter folks than me would be able to confirm if any (or at least most) FWD cars an be towed on a dolly?

Thanks!

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yes

Old 02-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Most of all Front Wheel drive can be tow on a Dolly. The back wheels on a Front wheel drive are free wheeling, the only issue is what type of dolly you have? If your dolly have turn table your steering wheel can be lock and the table will turn went you turn the MH. If you have a Dolly with no turn table, then your steering wheel have to be unlock so the wheel turn went you are turning with the MH. Most newer car don't have the locking steering anymore, and most off the older model you can put the key on to unlock and off and leave the key in the inaction so to keep the lock off.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
After towing my Prius on a dolly, the computer didn't like it. I recall getting some sort of error message- it knew something was up even though it was turned off. However, after driving a few miles, it was fine.

Walt
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMoe View Post
Most of all Front Wheel drive can be tow on a Dolly. The back wheels on a Front wheel drive are free wheeling, the only issue is what type of dolly you have? If your dolly have turn table your steering wheel can be lock and the table will turn went you turn the MH. If you have a Dolly with no turn table, then your steering wheel have to be unlock so the wheel turn went you are turning with the MH. Most newer car don't have the locking steering anymore, and most off the older model you can put the key on to unlock and off and leave the key in the inaction so to keep the lock off.
+1 to Joe's comments. A blanket "can any FWD car be towed" is not a great way to tee it up tho. You'd be better off to make a short list of models that you're interested and start looking.

We had planed to dolly my 2013 Honda Accord CVT as the wife had a 15 Subaru CVT that would have to be trailered. But we just traded the Subaru for a 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. My wife is VERY picky about seating and she actually wanted a CR-V but even in the highest trim level she wasn't comfortable with the seats and that was what she really wanted. She loved the comfort of the Jeep and was sold 5 minutes into the test ride despite trying 3-4 other makes/models. So we're looking into all the flat tow stuff now.

Of course the other option is trade wives.... (could be cheaper.. who knows)
Mainuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainuh View Post
Of course the other option is trade wives.... (could be cheaper.. who knows)
Funny stuff.
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

We have been towing a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox with auto trans. for several years. Easy hook up, pull one fuse. I want smething quick and simple.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:22 PM   #8

We have been towing a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox with auto trans. four down for several years. Easy hook up, pull one fuse. I want smething quick and simple.
Old 02-19-2016, 03:09 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Yes

It's just that simple and the reason that U-Haul rents hundreds of car tow dollies everyday all over America.

You can pick from one of thousands of front wheel drive cars, load it and go.
Plus, the car's front end is safe from rock strikes - up high on the dolly, there's no miles added on the lower driveline of the car, there's no cutting the fascia on the car for brackets in the critical crush zone of the car's frame, and the dolly can easily be equipped with brakes.

Change cars? No problem or need to modify another car's front end.

We have dolly towed for over 15,000miles...takes us no more time to load/unload than our travel partners that flat tow. The only downside to having a dolly is that you might be asked to rescue a friend or family member with a broken-down car

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #10

One thing to consider is the cars ground clearance and wheel well size. Some smaller sporty cars may have difficulty getting the ratchets to work, not enough clearance. We were going to tow a VW beetle but the dolly ratchets were a poor design and needed a large wheel well opening to work. It was a Tandemtow dolly. We ended up putting her Ford Escape on and it worked. Meanwhile got rid of the TT and have a Demco KarKaddy with good ratchets. But setting up to flat tow so I'll sell it soon, the dolly.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:19 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Here's the thing:

My wife is a real car snob. She wants luxury. She wants performance. She wants four doors. She wants, wants, wants. she currently drive a Taurus SHO and absolutely loves it. Problem is that it's all-wheel drive and can't be towed.

I know some have said they have, but our manual says trailer tow only, so that's a 'no' in my book.

So for me to talk her into selling both our cars and buying a new one, I'd have to find something we can tow AND meet all her demands. I'm thinking Lexus, Lincoln, BMW... something along those lines.

What I was hoping for - and you all really came through - was to not have to sift through every owners manual to see how it could be towed. Now that I know that most FWD cars can be dollied, I have an excellent starting point to narrow down the field.

Thanks everyone!

p.s. Sorry Mainuh... trading in the wife is not an option

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:18 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wryly Blithe-

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Towing Guides. The 2015 Guide lists two Lincoln 4-door models, the MKX and the MKZ. There's an Infiniti there, too, but it looks like a two-door.

Here's a link to a search for iRV2 posts mentioning the MKX or MKZ.

Here's a link to a search for iRV2 posts mentioning the Taurus SHO. Some posters indicate they have towed an SHO. The 2015 Dinghy Guide lists the AWD as towable, as does a Ford manual (page 252) for the 2015 model year Taurus (with 3.5L engine) that I downloaded. You say your SHO manual says "no"; perhaps a different year SHO would work?

Your 2013 Veloster Turbo is towable four-down, if it has a manual transmission. No, if automatic.

If you revisit the four-down issue, note that some 2016 models may not have baseplates available for them yet.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #13

My wife is similar. Just traded her BMW for a 2016 Escape, neither of which could be flat or dolly towed. So we use my Malibu and she "suffers" with it if she has to drive it

The Malibu is starting to get long in the tooth though so I may just pick up a used Kia Soul manual or something like that, which would be lighter to tow and provide plenty of room for the dog. And, she hates the Kia Soul
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Just traded her BMW for a 2016 Escape, neither of which could be flat or dolly towed.
I assume your wife has the 1.6L Escape, because the 2.0L and 2.5L can be dolly towed ?

Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly, tow