Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #15
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, base plates bolt up to the cars frame, so they are very specific to a particular car.

Tow bar manufactures generally work only with their own base plates. However, if your mechanically inclined, sometimes plates/bars can be modified to work with other manufacture plates.

Your not over-thinking, your on the right track asking questions.

I'm not sure if the malibu or ram truck are flat towable. Most manual transmissions are, most automatics are not. HOWEVER - there are exceptions to these rules, so always double check.

Also look at weight - The heavier your TOAD, the more you really will need brakes. Although I tow a 2600 lb Civic with no brakes, I probably would not tow a 4,000 lb small pickup without them.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2015, 01:42 PM   #16

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, that is what I though. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:41 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That looks like a Harbor Freight tow bar bracket.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh geez, I like HF, but not for this kind of stuff. :/
Old 04-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got another pic. He said he can't find a name. Maybe this is a sign to get something different.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V__C60E.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	91076  
Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #20
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
BeachDude'

Might be HF. I got mine from etrailer. It is good heavy quality. I've got about 7k miles on it and no problems.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasOregon View Post
Just got another pic. He said he can't find a name. Maybe this is a sign to get something different.
That looks like the classic or original brackets from Roadmaster and you don't need to worry about their construction but I would double check the mounting bolts.
But why are you buying a tow car as the chevy Malibu is ok to tow 4 down with a automatic Trans you just need to pull a fuse or install a charge line, as far as the brackets they are easy to install the Roadmaster bracket # is 194-3 At about $399 at Etrailer.com
Go here and click on at the top of page interactive guide and then the bracket number ( 194-3 ) it will take you to a page with pictures and instructions on the installation, I would think anyone could install this one, nothing to remove just put it on and bolt it up using loctite and torque the bolts. Most of the newer cars you would have to remove the front cap and do a little trimming of the facia.
For a tow bar try hitchtrader.com for used tow bars also might find a bracket there.
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:42 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, good to know. I will get my manual out tomorrow and read up. I wouldn't mind taking the Malibu if I can safely and inexpensively do it.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:44 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry I didn't past the link to the bracket installation .
http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdfinst/194-3.pdf
Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, yes, just a few fuses to take out and the base plate install looks pretty simple! Anything to know about the tow bar? I assume i need to find the same brand?
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
No, tow bar connector ends are available for most if not all tow bars to fit about any base plate, I have Roadmaster base plates on both of my toads and have always used Roadmaster tow bars but wanted to increase the tow bar to a 10,000 lb tow bar last year and the Roadmaster tow bar best price was close to $1000 i found a new Blue Ox 10,000 for about $600 including the X over ends to fit the Roadmaster base plate, the Blue Ox tow bar works just as good as the Roadmaster did.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:06 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Oh perfect. Now it is the price. Yikes! hitchtrader.com has nothing in my area, but will keep checking, plus cl. So, base plate and tow bar, and I am pretty much good to go? thanks for much for everything.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Be aware that you must comply with EVERY state's laws on add'l braking on the towed, not just your home state.
Plus there's always the laws of physics, just as it takes more power to accelerate a heavier vehicle it takes more braking force to stop a heavier weight.
Our Magna weighs about 50,000#'s and I tow a Honda Odyssey the weighs about 4,500#'s. I don't even notice it back there but I'm still going to install the braking system in the MH. Already have it in the Ody from when we towed it with the Dutch Star.
Oh yes, there was an accident where a woman was killed when he husband couldn't stop in time and hit a truck. He tried to turn at the last moment but hit the corner if the truck. An analysis of the accident showed that had there been a braking system on the MH he would have stopped one FOOT short of the truck.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:09 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Makes a lot of sense. I was looking at breaking systems at Camping World. So dang spendy. Worth it, of course. I only want to tow locally. When we really travel, we take our jet skiis with us instead.