Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Can anyone tell what brand the bar is?

Thinking about going to look at this car. 2002 Kia Sportage It comes with the base plate, but nothing else. Trying to figure out how easy it would be to buy the rest, and what all I would need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V__23BA.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	91028  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:16 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can anyone tell what brand the bar is?

I think you mean to say it comes with the base plate, and you want to know what tow bar mates to the existing base plate.

Do you know if there is also a braking system installed or included? Is it wired already for the stop/turn lights?
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:27 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks, base plate. First day of reading. I don't know what else it has. Thought of going to go look at it. How can I tell about the wiring?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks home built to me, I know it's not a RoadMaster as that's what we have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Well that makes me nervous. Better to know now though.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ask if the seller has the tow bar or any of the little clip pins that connect the tow bar to the "U" plate. Try and make the bar part of the sale, If they won't, at least get photos and model numbers. Ask how they do their hookup.

I looked at your photo very carefully, the "U" shaped plates with the holes for the clip pins looks similar to mine, but I suspect they all look like that.

"Tow Ready" tow bar is what I use on my Honda Civic. This is an inexpensive tow bar thats done a good job for me.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Tow-Ready/63180.html

In the bottom photo, you can see the "U" shaped part that is on the front of your car. The tow bar attaches to that "U" with a clip pin.

This "U" looks very similar to the one on your car.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TowReady_TowBar.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	91030   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH_TOAD_3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	91031  

Name:	63180_dd_1000.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	91033  
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 05:10 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Roadmaster makes something similar.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Ro...er/RM-020.html

When looking carefully at the "U" plate on this bar (where the bar attaches to your car), it doesn't look like yours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RM-020_1000.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	91032  
Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
182k miles is a lot. I always ask about timing belt replacement. (I'm not sure about the Kia, but when I buy a car that uses a timing belt, unless someone can prove when it was replaced, I replace it.)

LIGHTS - Ask how its wired for lights. On older cars you can get away with simply tapping into the front turn signals and marker lights. I install a four flat connector on the front of my cars, the same connector thats on the back that a trailer plugs into. Then use a four connector male-to-male cable to plug into the MH and then plug into the front of the TOAD.

Using steering (blocking) diodes and wiring directly to the rear lights is a little better option, (And may be the only option if your TOAD uses a body computer to control the lights)

BRAKES - Yes, you should. No, I don't.

My Civic TOAD is light, 2500 lbs, If my TOAD was 3 tons, yes, I would also have brakes on it.

Brakes offer a safety factor in the event of a break away. So lets prevent a break away from happening;

A proper hitch receiver offers the first line of defense. Lock pins offers the second, two separate safety chains offer the third and fourth line of defense.

If those four components fail, OR - more likely, are not connected or utilized, then the brakes will offer the fifth line of defense.

Brake discussion will bring out opinions from all corners. Stand by
Old 04-10-2015, 07:16 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Drive it to the dealer and see what fits..Several brands of bars use that configuration abut the spacing of the "Tabs" may be different.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:13 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
They don't have the tow bar. Sounds like this never used it as that and bought it from the last owner already set up.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
They don't have the tow bar. Sounds like this never used it as that and bought it from the last owner already set up.
Darn.....

OK, What kind of tow bar are you looking for? If its a simple inexpensive like mine, I'll measure the holes and the spacing on mine and report back to you.

Regardless of what you do, I would climb under there and put a wrench on every bolt on the base plate to make sure everything is tight and there are no problems.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just want something that works. I have no opinion as on now. Well, I don't want a dolly, that is it. My current cars are a 2002 Chevy Malibu and a 1998 Dodge Ram. My thought is that getting a car with parts already on may cost the same as putting these parts on my Malibu. Plus, it isn't manual. Wouldn't manual be better to haul, or am I overthinking?
Old 04-10-2015, 10:28 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Or I am finding stuff like this, but aren't they all car specific? Blue Ox Tow Bar and Baseplate
Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasOregon View Post
Or I am finding stuff like this, but aren't they all car specific? Blue Ox Tow Bar and Baseplate

The base plates are generally car specific but the towbar generally is not.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote