Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #1

Can i double tow?

I live in wv and I'd like to flat tow my truck and attach my jet ski trailer to my truck. I'm good on GVW just not sure if its legal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
With all respect, your question might be more fruitfully addressed to your local West Virginia state police barracks than to an internet forum where you're likely to get a lot of opinions and references to laws in other states or laws that may be obsolete. In other words, get your information from the same people you might find yourself talking to on the side of the road...

Also, be aware that if you travel through states other than West Virginia, their double towing laws will govern.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #3

Well in Oklahoma I do know that you can tow a 5th wheel (king pin) hitch and pull a trailer (ball) hitch legal in Oklahoma. Now you can tow (ball) hitch to (ball) hitch but if anything comes apart and does damage you are responsible for all damages.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
With all respect, your question might be more fruitfully addressed to your local West Virginia state police barracks than to an internet forum where you're likely to get a lot of opinions and references to laws in other states or laws that may be obsolete. In other words, get your information from the same people you might find yourself talking to on the side of the road...

Also, be aware that if you travel through states other than West Virginia, their double towing laws will govern.

Rusty
The above is the best advice, of course, but as a starting point:

Here's a link to one of many online sites that put up the various States' towing regs as best they understand them. According to this site, there's no double-tow in West Virginia...also a 60' maximum combined length that might give you trouble with the proposed combination anyway.

As always, doublecheck the regs with the appropriate Authority.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #5

It may. Or may not be legal but.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1808474587.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	42645  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #6

That's perfect set up. How does it drive and how long is it? Have you ever been pulled over
Old 07-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonklink View Post
That's perfect set up. How does it drive and how long is it? Have you ever been pulled over

I'd just like to know how he got out of the cul-de-sac that picture was taken in!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonklink View Post
I bring the MH to my house and hook it together the way it's sitting. I've been towing double for about 8 years and you don't even know the trailer is there. If you tow car makes the turn so will the trailer.I hope I don't have bad luck but no trouble with johnny law and even gone threw road blocks.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post

I'd just like to know how he got out of the cul-de-sac that picture was taken in!
I'm heading out when I come back I pull down and unhook the tow car move it out of the way the turn MH around and back into drive no different than just pulling a tow car only.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:12 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You'll probably get away with it, even in states that don't allow it, unless or until you are involved in an accident. Then the law will be applied and your insurance will decide if they still want to cover you or not. It's a risk I wouldn't be willing to take, but I'm sure some others would!
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
That link that Francesca posted is great. It does refer to "triple tow," however, and it appears that particular reference guide uses the term "triple tow" as meaning two trailers.

Here's a comprehensive state-by-state guide that I have in my files ...not sure how up to date it is as it seems I've had it for quite awhile:

Towing Laws by State

Remember, towing laws are not treated with reciprocity so you have to follow the laws of the state you are traveling through in order to be legal.

It appears that in West Virginia, towing two trailers is prohibited but even if it was allowed, it only means that you would be okay to do it in that state.