Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Can I flat tow a 2009 Honda Accord Automatic Transmission

I am buying a 2009 Honda Accord Automatic. Its all equipt with a roadmaster towing system. I have heard these vehicles can not be flat towed. Any advise. Thanks in advance. Dennis
DennisJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 02:08 PM   #2

If it was towed before it most likely has a pump installed to lubricate the transmission while towing.

I was going to buy a toyota at a used car lot a while back that had a base plate installed. I could not find a lube pump but I didn't really know what I was looking for. I got the previous owners number from the car lot. Called and asked if it had a lube pump installed.
It did not have a pump installed. Turns out that after having the base plate was installed he was informed that he needed the lube pump.
He decided to trade it off instead of installing the pump.
So the Toyota had a base plate and had never been towed.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Can I flat tow a 2009 Honda Accord Automatic Transmission

Honda says that the 2009 Accord can be towed with all four wheels on the ground for 50 miles at a maximum speed of 35 MPH. You will probably find people who have towed at highway speeds for tens of thousands of miles using the same Emergency Towing procedure in the owner's manual. As far as I know, there is no aftermarket transmission fluid pump available for any Honda.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...9/A50909OM.pdf

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 11-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have experienced no problems. 30,000 miles so far. I follow same procedure as for a CRV.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a '07 Accord Auto I've pulled 5k miles so far so good. Must go N to D back to N. after warm up. Leave key in Acc. using Valet key only. Doors will not lock.
At night I put in P, pull key and lock doors. Put valet key visible so next day....
Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have a copy of a letter that supposedly came from a Honda engineer that states that Honda will not "officially" say the Accords can be towed because extensive testing was never done on them. He says that if you will follow the procedure below there should not be any problems.

1. Start engine

2. Turn off all audio (radio, CD, navigation, etc)

3. Press and hold down the brake pedal

4. Pull the shift lever from Park down through each gear to 1st gear, then back up to Drive, then to Neutral, pausing a few seconds between gears.

5. Continue holding down the brake pedal for at least 3 minutes

6. Turn the ignition key back one click to the left

7. Release the brake pedal

This procedure must be repeated every 8 hours. ( I did it about every 4 hours, usually when stopping for lunch)

The transmission fluid must be changed every 30,000 miles, including towed miles!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 03:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Dennis, you may want to check the Motorhome magazine for dingy towing. It's online and covers vehicles extensively. As we did, you may also want to get confirmation from the auto manufacturer to corroborate. Good towing!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
MSHappyCampers
question? Do you leave the trans in neutral when starting after towing for 4 hours? or put it in park then start the engine and repeat the procedure you listed? I used a tow dolly last year and will be flat towing next summer so this is new to me. understood on the trans fluid changes, only makes sense. Thanks
cptdzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:37 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Your 2009 Accord may be different but it may be posible to flat tow following the procedure Joe outlined.

I tow a 2001 Civic with an Auto - I follow the pre-tow procedure that Joe outlined.

A VERY, VERY important step - When you cycle thru the gears, the final step must be from "D" to "N", not "R" to "N". If you accidentally overshot the "N" and put it into "R", repeat the entire sequence again.

This places the valvology so that a small amount of fluid will flow thru the tranny. if you do the R to N, this valve isn't opened and no flow happens.

Then shut the car off, make sure the key is in ACC and the steering wheel is free.

I added a "TOW/DRIVE" switch to mine to kill ACC power to the radio and accessories, that way the battery doesn't run down.

I also go through the pre-tow sequence every time I stop for gas.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #10

Are you able to talk to previous owner? Sounds like it's been towed before. You might check trans fluid levels, if you start towing. Dave
Old 11-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #11

I checked the FMCA flat tow guide for 2009. Accord is not listed. Only Hondas on the list are CR-V 4x4 and 4x2 and the Fit.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
I checked the FMCA flat tow guide for 2009. Accord is not listed. Only Hondas on the list are CR-V 4x4 and 4x2 and the Fit.
I wonder if a dealer - shop mechanic - could tell if the transmission in used in those vehicles is the same transmission as in the car he'd like to tow.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptdzl View Post
MSHappyCampers
question? Do you leave the trans in neutral when starting after towing for 4 hours? or put it in park then start the engine and repeat the procedure you listed? I used a tow dolly last year and will be flat towing next summer so this is new to me. understood on the trans fluid changes, only makes sense. Thanks

When starting after towing we just put it in Park first.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:26 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I usually go through the whole procedure when we stop for anything that give me the 5 minutes I need to do it, regardless of how long we have been on the road. Not sure if that is a good idea or not.

I may be missing something but don't remember reading that you had to hold your foot on the brake while the car runs in neutral for 3 minutes. I set my stopwatch and use this time to do a last walk around and verify everything before leaving, so the brake is not on.

Am I screwing up here?

Tags
honda, tow, transmission