Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 01:15 PM   #1

Can I improve my existing rig?

I have been pulling my Jayco Jay Feather TT(4600lbs dry) with my 2006 Suburban 1500 FWD. We have been full timing for a year now and one thing has always bothered me.

My trailer is too heavy and the suburban's suspension cant support it enough to keep it level. It was always riding too low.

Is there a way to improve the back suspension on my suburban? I know this may be a stupid question, but I just don't know enough about automobiles.

If it is possible to make my suburban sturdier, how much might this cost me?
Is it more cost efficient to sell and buy something else? I don't think I can get more than 5-6 k for it as is.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
MrWanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

If you add leaf springs that will make the Suburban ride very stiff when there's no load so the options are this. Overload springs that only come into action when a load is added to the rear of the vehicle. Air bags are another option. They can be left partially deflated when there's no load and inflated when you're hitched up to the trailer. Another is Air Shocks. You inflate them just as you would the air bags, (only when needed) Finally a weight equalizing hitch has torsion bars that transfers weight from the trailer across the entire frame of the vehicle thus making it ride relatively level when a load is added.

ps..FWD means Front Wheel Drive, use 4x4 or 4 wheel drive
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #3

Air bags would be the easiest and cheapest fix . Are you sure you are not overloading your truck ? You should load the trailer the go to a scale and get the axle weights with and without the trailer. Remember to have your truck and trailler loaded with everything you normally have when camping. If you are under the max capacities , then you can consider air bags. If your over , consider a new truck.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #4

I did not see this in the writeup anywhere, but do you have equalizer bars for the TT to tow vehicle? If not, this could be part of your problem. After that, I'd go with the OP on airbags. Maybe not a consideration, financially, but if TT is too heavy now, might consider a tow vehicle with a better weight rating. Not throwing rocks here, just a consideration.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #5

very helpful advice. Thank you. Also I know what FWD means, I have a FWD(at least i think i do)
MrWanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWanderlust View Post
I have been pulling my Jayco Jay Feather TT(4600lbs dry) with my 2006 Suburban 1500 FWD. We have been full timing for a year now and one thing has always bothered me.

My trailer is too heavy and the suburban's suspension cant support it enough to keep it level. It was always riding too low.

Is there a way to improve the back suspension on my suburban? I know this may be a stupid question, but I just don't know enough about automobiles.

If it is possible to make my suburban sturdier, how much might this cost me?
Is it more cost efficient to sell and buy something else? I don't think I can get more than 5-6 k for it as is.

Any guidance is much appreciated.
My first instincts say that if it's too heavy for the truck then it's time for a 1 ton pickup. I've been through this, safety first. However, there are these out there if you decide to stay with the Suburban.

TrailerToad.com
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
X2 on the equalizer hitch. It will transfer weight to the front axel, taking weight off the back axel. Also give better stability going down the road.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:51 PM   #8

I regretfully towed a #7000lb 37' TT with a suburban and Equalizer 4 for about 2 months before adding cheap $100 airlift airbags (inside springs) and it made a WORLD of difference....
After 2 more months of short trips I upgraded to a F250!! But loved the airbags for boat also
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWanderlust View Post
very helpful advice. Thank you. Also I know what FWD means, I have a FWD(at least i think i do)

Never been a front wheel drive full size pickup ever built in North America. All are rear wheel drive first and the front wheels hook up if put into four wheel drive or all wheel drive hooks up when needed
wvollans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #10

I'm gonna guess that the trailer weighs somewhere around the 6k mark since you're full timing. The suburban should be able to handle the roughly 800lbs of tongue weight considering you don't carry a lot of extras in the suburban. Make sure the weight distribution hitch is adjusted correctly, buy LT tires, and upgrade to HD shocks in the rear.
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 AM   #11

A 2006 Chevy Suburban 1500 is FWD? If that is true I learned something. I always thought those were RWD.

To beef up the rear suspension I like the idea of air bags. I think Firestone can install them. Maybe install better shocks at that time.

A Suburban looks like a great full time TV with all the space to carry stuff.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #12

Jeez, it looks like the nit pickers are out today. OP is new to the forum and probably hasn't absorbed all the abbreviation lingo. I had the same problem and someone sent me a link of definitions that I printed. It is 2 pages long, single spaced! My guess FWD should have been 4WD.
CecilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #13

I am asuming that you have the proper load equalizing hitch and that it is adjusted properly and that by FWD you meant 4WD or 4x4.

I would recommend Sumo Springs rather than air bags. They replace the factory bump-stops and require no inflation or deflation once they're installed. I have used them on an F250 and a Ram 3500 towing heavy 5th wheels and was very pleased with their performance. They do not effect your ride when running empty, they only come into play when you hitch up your trailer or put a heavy load in your vehicle. They help support the load, reduce or eliminate sag and nicely cushion bumps.

You can check them out here: https://www.supersprings.com/products/sumosprings

Happy trails,
Old 10-25-2017, 01:25 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Another thing is maybe the springs are getting bad. Overloading can do that.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote