Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm towing a 2005 Ford Escape on a Master Tow dolly. Currently the dolly's 4-flat wiring harness plugs into the motor home's receptacle and I have lights on the dolly (turn signals, brakes, tail lights). The Escape's lights are not connected anywhere.

What I'd like to do is light up the dolly AND the Escape . . . is there an easy way to do this? Is there, for example, a wiring "tee" of some sort that would allow me to connect the dolly's 4-flat, and also run a harness jumper back to the Escape's 4-flat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

RoadMaster Falcon All-Terrain, InvisiBrake, Guardian Shield
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2005, 03:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm towing a 2005 Ford Escape on a Master Tow dolly. Currently the dolly's 4-flat wiring harness plugs into the motor home's receptacle and I have lights on the dolly (turn signals, brakes, tail lights). The Escape's lights are not connected anywhere.

What I'd like to do is light up the dolly AND the Escape . . . is there an easy way to do this? Is there, for example, a wiring "tee" of some sort that would allow me to connect the dolly's 4-flat, and also run a harness jumper back to the Escape's 4-flat?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-12-2005, 06:01 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

If your Escape is set up for towing lights all you have to do is make up some way to feed both sets of lights. Rather than make a tee for the back of trhe coach (which means two umbilical cvords) I'd modify the tow dolly. Just tap into the existing wires and wire in a second socket on the tow dolly tongue. Then make a short umbilical to plug the Escape into the dolly and you're all set.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 05:51 PM   #4

Per Cruzer if the Escape is not setup with lights then get some pig tails with lights, drill into the tail light housing, install them, and wire them to a pig tail to hook into the dolly lights.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:56 PM   #5

I've seen adapters which allow you to add trailer lights to your tow vehicle without cutting wires. Basically a 3 way plug; should be able to find one of these and use it to provide lights to both trailer and car. Personally, I think I'd go with car only; the tow vehicle may not be able to drive itself, the trailer and the car...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #6

When I felt compelled to have lights on the toad, I just turned on the parking lights and left the turn & stop signals to the dolly.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DryRot:
When I felt compelled to have lights on the toad, I just turned on the parking lights and left the turn & stop signals to the dolly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmmm - makes PERFECT sense! Simple! Now I can quit obsessing Thanks.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:37 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeeTheUSA:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DryRot:
When I felt compelled to have lights on the toad, I just turned on the parking lights and left the turn & stop signals to the dolly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hmmmm - makes PERFECT sense! Simple! Now I can quit obsessing Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

except for the battery drain !!

also consider one of those magnetic stop/turn lights for the escape, plugged into one of those 3 way adapter/splitter mentioned earlier.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #9

Last year I used a tow dolly for our car. I was very uncomfortable with just the tow dolly'l fender lights. I went to Wall Mart and bought a connector set like the ones on the tow dolly, male and female. I had a magnetic tail light set. I spliced the connectors up so that the Mag lights plugged into the Motor home and the Tow Dolly plugged into the pigtail I put onto the Mag light wire. This was similar to a Y cable arrangment. The plus was that I didn't change the tow dolly wires so it could be used either with or without the mag lites. As for the mention of different ways of connecting wires, Walmart or some auto parts places have a product called liquid tape. This seals up the joints permanently. I use a splice or a piggy back connector and then daub this stuff over it so it is sealed. Works.