Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 02:58 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can I tow A Ford explorer sport trac behind my MH

I think I have saw an article saying that you had to have a neutral tow KIT #3L2J - 7H332 AA That would be a Ford part number.
But I have saw an article saying that you could not purchase it for 2003 model and the model I want to purchase is a 2005 . The article stated that they were no longer made. Ford could not get them anymore, Im in the process of possibly purchasing the Ford explorer sport track but if I cannot Purchase it Then I Do not want to purchase this vehicle.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I remember them needing a kit. I checked the number you referenced and found several. https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts...-7h332-aa.html
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If your setup is like mine on my 2006, it will need to be 4 wheel drive and the computer will have to be reprogrammed by Ford.
It works great and easy
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I set up a 1998 Ford Explorer to tow. You do need to have a kit installed and unfortunately Ford does not stock them any more.

The good news is that the company who made them, will make one for you. It is not cheap, and a Ford dealer will need to install it and reprogram your chip.

I got the name of the manufacture on a blog like this. Sorry I don't remember their name.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
GOOD NEWS>>>

Just found the info on the company who makes the neutral tow kits.

Victory Climate Systems Phone 817-293-3331
Old 05-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #6

I have a 2003 Sport Trac with the Neutral Tow Kit. The "kit" is nothing more than an amber LED that plugs into an existing connector under your dash panel. A Ford dealer will need to Enable the Neutral Tow program in your Transfer Case Control Module. That's it. The Sport Trac makes a great toad.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:31 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeterson View Post
I have a 2003 Sport Trac with the Neutral Tow Kit. The "kit" is nothing more than an amber LED that plugs into an existing connector under your dash panel. A Ford dealer will need to Enable the Neutral Tow program in your Transfer Case Control Module. That's it. The Sport Trac makes a great toad.

I talked to forward today and they said no problem they can have the part for me tomorrow the kit that is. At $250 if it's just a light that goes down to the transmission that's pretty damn expensive for $250.
Do you have ford do the work of the install it was $350 so purchasing it at 250 and having them put it in at 3:50 with it being just a lightbulb on the and to reprogram of the computer chip I call that being raped.
thank you for all of the replies and all the assistance from you guys I will say this is such a great group I'm proud to be a member of this organization.
I am 6 foot one and weigh 240 pounds are those seats comfortable are they tight on the back of your rib cage. Is there a lot of legroom we haven't purchased one yet we are looking at buying one and having the work done.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #8

I installed the "kit" myself. It came with a bracket and a couple screws that attach to the plastic dash board on the bottom. The LED wires have a male plug and there is a female green plug tied up under the steering wheel just for this. I think I paid like $150 for the "kit". Yes, I agree it is crazy expensive for a couple dollars of parts. I have read of others making their own.

As for the programming, I called around and was told only a Ford dealer could do it. My local dealer had never heard of it but after I showed him the program instructions below, he agreed to do it for $75. After waiting almost 2 hours for a service techs, it took him all of 2 minutes to connect and make the program change.

USING NGS SERVICE (GREEN) CARD
CONNECT TO VEHICLE VIA THE DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR
SELECT “SERVICE BAY FUNCTIONS”
SELECT “4X4 CONTROL MODULE”
SELECT “NEUTRAL TOW FUNCTION”
SELECT “EXPLORER”
PRESS TRIGGER AND SCROLL TO ENABLE OR DISABLE
PRESS TRIGGER AGAIN AFTER HIGHLIGHTING THE DESIRED STATE
PRESS “DONE”

USING NGS+
SELECT PROPER VEHICLE AND MODEL YEAR
SELECT DIAGNOSTIC DATA LINK
SELECT 4X4 MODULE
SELECT FUNCTION TESTS
SELECT NEUTRAL TOW ENABLE
SCROLL TO ENABLE OR DISABLE NTF AND PRESS TRIGGER

USING WDS
CONNECT TO VEHICLE VIA THE DIAGNOSTIC CONNECTOR
FOLLOW HOOK UP SCREEN
AFTER WDS DISPLAYS VEHICLE INFO, SELECT TOOL BOX ON TOP OF SCREEN
FROM ON SCREEN MENU SELECT “MODULE PROGRAMMING”
SELECT “PROGRAMMABLE PARAMETTERS”
SELECT “NEUTRAL TOW FUNCTION”
FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS ON THE WDS TO COMPLETE OPERATION
Old 07-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #9

Hi - thank you for posting this! I have a 2003 Ford Sport Trac using the Neutral Tow Kit with no issues... until yesterday. Lights don't come on, the 'clicks' don't happen... it doesn't engage. It worked earlier in the day, then I had to turn off the truck, and when I turned it back on and tried to engage the neutral tow kit again, it didn't work.
The green female wire you mention is hanging free, so I am wondering if it just needs to be joined to the red male wire... but I can't see the red male. Do you have to pull off the dashboard? Do you have the instructions for installation (besides the programming) handy, and can post them by photo?
BikerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:15 AM   #10

Just an update: we went to a Ford dealer and they ran the programming instructions posted here, and it's working again.
BikerDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:41 AM   #11

Glad to hear it's working again. Kinda strange - the TCM became "un-programmed". The loose wire you found hanging must have been for something else. I did not remove any of the the dash board to install the LED. The LED came with a 2 pin plug and the Sport Trac has a matching 2 pin plug tied up with some other wires under the steering wheel.

Tags
ford, tow