Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #1

can i tow a motorcycle safely on a car dolly

i have a master tow car dolly for towing my 1999 ranger.i was thinking of getting a motorcycle.if i mounted a wheel chock on the center of the dolly to hold the front tire,ratchet strap over the front tire and tie down straps on the handle bars and the back tire on pavement would this work?
trampsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #2

I've seen it done once and frankly, it scaird me. If I were to do it, I would install a third ramp in the middle and get the bike off the ground. Do not cover the bike when hauling it, your paint will be gone in a couple of hundred miles.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am all for getting the rear tire off the ground as well.
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
From your Avatar, you are a person that tries new things (backwards pick-up on a dolly) Things like this can be done and if done right, they work and can be safe.

Considerations for the motorcycle dolly tow:
Tire and chain wear
Transmission in neutral with gear spinning on the backside of the teeth (pulling vs. pushing.
Some wobble as the dolly bounces down the road with little weight on the frame (probably want to lower dolly tire pressure).

I bet it would work - but - if it were me, I would just mount a single ramp to the dolly and get the whole bike off the ground.

Best of luck!
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
From your Avatar, you are a person that tries new things (backwards pick-up on a dolly) Things like this can be done and if done right, they work and can be safe.

Considerations for the motorcycle dolly tow:
Tire and chain wear
Transmission in neutral with gear spinning on the backside of the teeth (pulling vs. pushing.
Some wobble as the dolly bounces down the road with little weight on the frame (probably want to lower dolly tire pressure).

I bet it would work - but - if it were me, I would just mount a single ramp to the dolly and get the whole bike off the ground.

Best of luck!
now that you said that getting a small trailer might be cheaper then damage to a bike.thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

Check your motorcycle owner's manual. It probably says don't coast in neutral for extended periods because it will trash the transmission. Like a lot of cars, most motorcycle transmissions don't lubricate themselves well when in neutral.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by trampsrv View Post
now that you said that getting a small trailer might be cheaper then damage to a bike.thanks
We tow a Ural sidecar rig using a Kendon dual-rail trailer. When not in use it stands up in our garage and takes up very little room. If you've only got one bike then their single rail trailer would work well. It's lightweight - around 300 lbs - and is rated to carry 1000 lbs. They are a bit pricy, but they're worth it. They hold their value well and are well-built - here in the USA!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
If you tow it this way you will trash the transmision. PLUS alot more
poppy bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

Long long time ago I had a carrier that the front wheel would strap into and then into the tow receiver. Carried my dirt bike around a lot, not sure it did it any harm but then I did more harm to the bike back then.
I see they still sell a similar version....
The Motorcycle Tow Bracket - Secure Tow, No Stress
If you were handy you could mount the tire chock onto a 2 inch bar and do away with the dolly totally.
harris155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 PM   #10

Ditto on the Kendan trailer. I had a single rail and towed my BMW K1200 LT with it. Bike weighted 850 pounds and it towed perfectly. Took up almost no room in the garage because of the stand up feature. Bought it used and sold it 4 years later for what I paid for it.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:11 AM   #11

i rent my car dolly out by the day and i have had phone calls from people that want there bikes moved in town.i have a wheel chock so i was thinking of mounting it on the dolly.

Tags
dolly