Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can I Tow my Car?

2003 Winnebago Adventurer 35U - Workhorse Triton V-10 . . . ACME EZ Tow Dolly w/ Hydraulic Brakes (Surge) . . . . 2006 Cadillac DTS. What would be the reasons NOT to tow with this set up. Any heads up or thoughts would be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 05:14 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
make sure that the total weight of the dolly and the car is not more than 5000#.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #3

Workhorse with a Triton V10 ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What is your towing capacity? The curb weight of the Caddy is 4000#, what does the dolly weight? I have a 5000# hitch but can only tow 4000#.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Workhorse with a Triton V10 ?
I wondered about that also?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:26 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's my understanding . . . I'm new to this, so I could be wrong.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:27 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That is/was my understanding . . I'm new to this - I have been wrong before
Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse Chassis's have GM motors, Ford Chassis have Ford motors.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #9

ACME dolly is about 400#, so if the car is 4,000# you should be within the tow limit assuming it is 5,000#.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
The Acme dolly weighs about 300 pounds and can support a 4,985 pound vehicle. Edmonds says your curb weight is 4,009 pounds so the dolly will support it. Your hitch will need to be able to handle about 4,309 pounds. The hitch on your coach is rated at 5,000 pounds with a tongue weight of 350 pounds. Your setup falls well below these parameters.

Reason to not use this set up? You will need to have the steering wheel unlocked so the front wheels on the DTS can "follow" the dolly in turns. So if your Cadillac steering wheel locks you must leave the key in and unlocked. Some DTS's do, some do not depending on the type of front seat. So if you have to leave your key in the ignition and on to keep the wheel unlocked it will possibly allow the battery to power the vehicle. In that case your option is to disconnect the battery or install a kit to keep the battery charged.

Be sure you have the 12" wheels on the dolly as the original 10" wheels can be an issue. Here's a link to my experience with this issue: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/tow-d...ng-278227.html

Other than those 2 items I can think of no other reason you can't use this set up. The dolly to hitch must be level for the surge brakes to work correctly and you may want to add a kit to power the DTS's brake lights for safety purposes. I installed a kit on my Edge from eTrailer.com.

BTW: If you have a Triton V10 you have the Ford F53 Chassis which is standard for this coach. If you the Vortec V8 you have a Workhorse Chassis that was offered as an option. The hitch is the same for either chassis.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do indeed have a Ford F53 Triton V-10. I knew they also used Chevy chassis. I did not know that the "Workhorse" was for the Chevy chassis only. Thx for the info!! A lot to learn about these units.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I do indeed have a Ford F53 Triton V-10. I knew they also used Chevy chassis. I did not know that the "Workhorse" was for the Chevy chassis only.
It's not "for" the Chevy chassis. It is the chassis if it has a GM Vortec V8.. Workhorse bought Chevrolet's chassis business and replaced Chevrolet.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:59 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by c92vette View Post
I installed a kit on my Edge from eTrailer.com.
Can you point me to the kit you installed? I need to go to Southwest Wheel at the first of the year to get some parts for my trailer. We are going to get a tow dolly and tow an Edge also, and I'd love to know what you installed.

(eTrailer.com is Southwest Wheel out of Dallas here)
Old 12-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I believe the curb weight is just over 4,000 pounds...add the dolly and any stuff in the car...that's too close for me.
2015 Winnebago Minnie 2101DS travel trailer & Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts of WindyNation solar (parallel) with MPPT controller, 2 Trojan T-125s, TALL flagpole and a great attitude…SoCal based. Perfer USFS, BLM, COE, USF&WS, NPS & state park campgrounds.
LarryW21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow