Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 AM   #15
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Weight is not a problem with most dollys, because like I wrote, they reduce the rolling resistance, making the whole set-up roll down the road better.[/QUOTE]

I'll accept your "rolling resistence" hypothesis, for clarification however:

This is the "weigh" I would personally calculate.

Weight is weight and a dolly weight must be added to the weight of the towed vehicle when determining the actual amount you are towing on the hitch or/and to figure the Gross Vehicle Weight.

A dolly is particularly thrifty if you already own a vehicle that you want to tow and it cannot be towed 4 down and it all fits your weight capacities.

I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #16
Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
A tow dolly is very safe, affordable, and will pick-up the drive-line of most Toads (front wheel drive cars). That means less rolling resistance and the Toad will be higher-up and therefore less prone to debris hits.

Huh? Less rolling resistance? Really? Your picking up two wheels and placing it top of two wheels. The car still weighs the same plus the dolly adds a few more lbs. and there is still 4 wheels on the ground, hence, resistance will increase slightly. Unless, ofcourse, if the dolly floats on air...

'97 Fleetwood Discovery 36RS
'01 Road Star Midnight Star Edition '77 CJ-7 factory V8
'69 1600 VW Sand Rail '09 EZGO RXV Custom Golf Cart
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I personally would see what kind of car the original poster wants to tow. If it is a all wheel drive car (like my Forester) he will not be able to use a tow dolly since all four wheels must be on the ground.

As far as wear and tear on a vehicle being towed four down, what is the average milage a person tows here? 3-6K a year? We personally do not take the car on every trip so I know it is less for us.
Gene & Ginger 04 Winnebago Adventurer 33V, Workhorse, 11 Subaru Forester (Toad), Blue Ox Avail, BrakeBuddy, ScanGaugeII, BatteryMINDer, KONI FSD's
Gene's Pictures Ginger's Pictures Gene's Videos
Bug512 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:46 AM   #18
Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Most people prefer to tow 4-down. If you haven't got your tow car yet then I would look in that direction. The ready brake tow bar by Night Shift Auto ( NSA ) has a built in surge brake that works grest for small cars. I tow my Honda Fit 4- down with it and have no issues. The fir only weights 2,500 pounds yet seats 4 adults or 2 adults 3 kids with room for the dog in the back. Yep I always bring my toad. You never know when you might need it. ( Motorhome breaks down, get some food, it's raining like crazy all weekend and you want to do something else ) ( That's me this weekend. )

Dan 2008 Allegro 32 BA FRED, Honda Fit
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
danf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #19
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do not exceed the GCWR of your MH and always use a toad braking system.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
Ok, lost the first post when I went to get a link, so here goes again, course I'll never replicate that first post it was great.

Anyhoo, as I said before that you didn't get to see I vote for towing 4 down. I have towed a VW Bug (new model), a Jeep Liberty, (2006), and now a full size Ram 1500 4 X 4 Crew cab. Granted the Ram is HEAVY, about 4800 to 5300 lbs. My DP is has a hitch rated for 10000 Lbs and I use a Falcon 2 tow bar rated at 6000 Lbs. Now my DP is not one of those high HP rigs, I only have 270 ponies available to me.

So... I am not the first to the top of the hill, but I get some GREAT fuel mileage I have never towed with a dolly but I have observed many who have. All have the same problem at many campgrounds, what to do with the dolly after you have off loaded your Toad. And...I can hitch up my toad much quicker than you can hitch your dolly and then load up your toad.

Check your hitch on your motor home, it should be rated for 5000 Lbs, my gasser units that I owned were. You will need a Tow Bar, brake lights for the toad, and some type of braking system, I use a Blue Ox, brake in a box. If it ever breaks or quits, I will switch to a ready brake system that works on Newtons third law of motion, or something like that

Here's a link to etrailer which has all the items you need to set up a toad. You'll also need base plates for the toad which will allow you to attach the tow bar. I installed the wiring with blocking Diodes on each of my tow vehicles and also installed the base plates. If you are handy, it is a very easy thing to do and will save you about 1000.00 or more.

There are videos on the web site which will show you how to do this. My jeep liberty was the hardest, had to remove a bunch of plastic to gain access to the required mounting points. The base plates that is supplied requires no welding or hole drilling, most mount through already existing holes in the frame. My pick would be a Jeep Wrangler sport easy to attach the base plates.

Like I said, poke around on the site and watch the videos, its educational. I have delt with these guys for a lot of gear and they have my endorsement, for whatever that is worth

In case your not good at "Poking around" Here's a link to all their video's

Now don't forget to push the "Thanks" button, IRV2.com will double my pay course double 0 is still 0 darn it!!

Hope this helps
Happy Trails
MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #21
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
My father in law had a '77 Winnebago brave with a dodge 440 engine. He towed a Chrysler New Yorker on a dolly! Made numerous trips from Alabama to Michigan, California, etc. and never had an issue. You aren't limited to a Smart car! patpro23 asked about an Accord or Neon he has a good idea as to the size and type of vehicle appropriate for a toad. Now if he had mentioned a Hummer...

I agree that the O/P stated the Honda, which is a whole lot closer to a Smart Car than your FIL's New Yorker.

However the '77s were built before all the "Let's see how cheaply we can make it" craze that has hit many industries, thus I suspect they were a bit,, er. Stronger. than many of today's somewhat anemic motor homes.

My Workhorse for example can noly tow at the most 5,000 pounds. In practice 4,000 is my max, and if I am using a drop hitch even that is pushing it. Thus friend who tows an SUV on a full trailer (All weels up) with the same chassis I have and roughtly the same amount of body, is SERIOUSLY overweight. Still, he tows all over and no problems to date save one and that ... Was not a "Towing failure" it was a routing failure.. If he had ask me I'd have routed him around that problem.. But hey,, That's what I used to do (Dispatcher) or at least part of the job.
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #22
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by windydaboo View Post
Huh? Less rolling resistance? Really? Your picking up two wheels and placing it top of two wheels. The car still weighs the same plus the dolly adds a few more lbs. and there is still 4 wheels on the ground, hence, resistance will increase slightly. Unless, ofcourse, if the dolly floats on air...
Oh yes, thank you for bringing focus to this point - unlike flat towing, using a dolly is like having two free-wheeling axles on the Toad.

On a dolly, with the driven axles of the Toad off the ground, the mechanical pieces/parts between the wheels and plus some of the gear box are NOT being turned as you roll down the road.

This is most easily demonstrated by looking at the MPG difference of a 2WD pick-up vs. a 4X4...take 2 identical engine and tranny equipped trucks - the MPG is always lower for the 4X4 (unless you have real lock-out hubs - not realistic for a flat tow, unless you invest in shaft disconnects for both wheel$$$$$)

And then there's issue of re-sale of the Toad. If properly disclosed at sale, a car that was flat towed would fetch a lower price due to the fact that all those spinning pieces had been spinning many more miles than a toad carried upon a Dolly

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), '07 Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote