Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you flat tow a 2010 Jetta TDI?

Dying to decide whethert o go with blue ox or tow dolly. I would rather flat tow. My VW is a manual transmission.

Help me!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I guess I don't understand . If your VW is flat towable what's the problem? I've done both and find that flat towing is much easier.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The question is can you flat tow a 2010 Jetta TDI manual? I've heard a couple of point in the past. Just want to hear others opinions or experiences. Cheers
Old 02-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruner View Post
The question is can you flat tow a 2010 Jetta TDI manual? I've heard a couple of point in the past. Just want to hear others opinions or experiences. Cheers
Your answer for towiing it can be found at Remco Towing Products site. Just input your information and it will give you the info you need to tow the car. If it can't be towed it will generally give you the option t tow it with a dolly or on a trailer. Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
the question was easy to understand, yes you can is the answer.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:45 PM   #6

We have an '06 Jetta TDI, manual trans. The Remco website has no info. A call to Remco said the 5 speed manual could be flat towed. DH wasn't content with their answer & called VW of America who said that it should not be flat towed. Our local repair/maintenance shop also told us no we shouldn't. So, our Jetta is towed on a Demco.
3catstravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IF it is under warranty NO you cannot tow it. Volksagon says none of the their vehicles is Flat Towable. If it is not under warranty then you can probably tow it. The only problem is a lot of modern day computers go crazy when the wheels are turning and the engine is not running. That to me might be the only issue you would have.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2012 VW Passat that we tow with an Acme EZ Tow Dolly. We've towed it almost 7k miles with no ill effects. After a lot of research, and a lot of replies to your same sort of thread, we thought it best not to chance it.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
the question was easy to understand, yes you can is the answer.

Well now isn't your answer interesting????? From what I'm reading it's best to check first.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thought y'all would like to see ny entire discussion with VW on flat towing.

How may I help you
Rebecca M. said:
Hello Al Bruner. My name is Rebecca M.. May I have your ZIP code, please?

Al Bruner said:
Sir/ma'am ....I have a 2010 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual with 30k miles. I'd like to flat tow behind my rv. Can i do that?

Rebecca M. said:
I'm glad to hear you are a member of our family!

Al Bruner said:
Oops...ma'am.

Rebecca M. said:
VW does not recommend flat towing your Jetta TDI.

Rebecca M. said:
The best way to tow is using a dolly to get the front wheels off the ground.

Al Bruner said:
Just curious....why is that?

Rebecca M. said:
You would not want to flat tow your Jetta TDI behind your RV because damage could occur to the vehicle.

Al Bruner said:
Oh.....so it's not a mechanical issue just rocks and stuff. It is a manual drive vehicle too

Rebecca M. said:
I understand.

Al Bruner said:
You understand I'm correct?

Rebecca M. said:
Even though your Jetta TDI has a manual transmission, Al, VW does not recommend flat towing your vehicle behind your RV.

Rebecca M. said:
Because damage could occur to the transmission, suspension, wheels etc.

Al Bruner said:
Hmmmm. Interesting. Not to push, but is there a deeper mechanical reason?

Rebecca M. said:
It is up to you, how you choose to tow your Jetta TDI, but VW recommends towing with a dolly with the front two wheels off the ground.

Rebecca M. said:
You can find more information about towing your Jetta TDI in your owner's manual.

Al Bruner said:
Thanks. Understood. Is there someone there I can call for a mechanical discussion of the issues surrounding flat towing this variant TDI? I am supremely curious...considering the $$$ spent on the RV and the Jetta. Both great vehicles but I'd like to understand the mechanics and science.

Rebecca M. said:
We rely on our dealers for technical expertise, as they have certified and trained technicians. You are welcome to get in touch with your local VW dealer for technical assistance.

Rebecca M. said:
There is also more information about towing specifications and direction in your owner's manual, Al.

Rebecca M. said:
Would you like me to locate a dealer in your area?

Al Bruner said:
Yes.....I think it is bill Britt here in Fredericksburg Va a

Rebecca M. said:
If you can provide your ZIP code, I would be happy to pull up your dealer's contact information.

Al Bruner said:
The information published concerns only automatics. VERY lacking in the manual

Rebecca M. said:
Bill Britt VW can be reached at 540-898-1600.

Al Bruner said:
You might want to pass that along. There are 1000 of pages of message boards on this subject but everyone is guessing. Be nice if VW would make a full opinion with reasoning. Some tow with no problems. So are just scared of their VW warranty. All seems so odd

Rebecca M. said:
The reason we do not recommend flat towing your vehicle behind an RV is because damage may occur to the vehicle, including the transmission, wheels, suspension and more.

Rebecca M. said:
Was there anything else I can assist you with, Al?

Al Bruner said:
Yeah...saw you wrote that earlier. That can happen backing out of your drive in the snow. That is so general that it covers everything. Other car manufacturers have stated why and why not. I know you are typing what you are told. It just seems VW could sell this light cars to RVers if they would just try

Rebecca M. said:
Most RVs have a large overhang off the rear (from the back wheels to the back bumper). If the driver sharply turns the RV while towing a car with 4 wheels on the ground, the car gets dragged sideways. This puts tremendous strain on the suspension and the tires and could cause damage to the vehicle.

Rebecca M. said:
As such, VW recommends towing your Jetta TDI using a dolly with the front 2 wheels off the ground.

Rebecca M. said:
Your VW dealer will be able to answer any technical questions you may have regarding towing, Al.

Al Bruner said:
Now that makes sense. Understand that

Al Bruner said:
I will get a fuller answer from bill Britt. Thanks for your kindness and patience. Really!

Rebecca M. said:
You're welcome! You're a valued member of our family and I wish you many enjoyable miles with your Jetta TDI.

Type your message
Send
Old 02-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow! I have to give you an "A" for effort and patience... I've had many converstions with online support people like that before... and they are usually from India or the Phillipines. In reality, they know nothing about the product they are supposed to be supporting... They retype your question into their great and powerful "OZ" like computer and keep sending you it's same answer when you ask keep asking why...

Not that I profess to know anything about the inner workings of a VW... but some one told me (when I was asking the same question as you) that when towed flat, there are gears in the drive train that turn when the front wheels do. When the car is not on, they don't get the same lubrication, which after time, will create wear problems. How true that is, I don't know...

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote