Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #1

Can you tow a Toyota Tundra?

We just purchased a 34' 2008 Safari Passage... fell in love with it and decided what the heck. While we love the MH it turns out we have 4 vehicles and none are really "towable". I'd like to be able to tow my 2006 Tundra Double Cab 2W Automatic tranny pickup truck 4-down. If I get the quick disconnect installed on the drive train will I be able to do that? I'm a musician and the truck gives me the ability to put all my equipment in the bed under the camper shell. If I can't tow 4-down are there other options besides a car trailer (I just don't have room for another trailer at out house).

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Owen
VAN TREKKING lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2009, 12:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Go for it

The Remco drive line disconnect is a good product.

After having several over the last 15 years I recommend the following.

There are two choices. You can purchase a new driveshaft that has the Remco installed and simply unbolt the existing one and install the new one.

Secondly, you can have your existing drive shaft cut off and the remco welded on. If you decide to use your existing one, the work must be done by a shop that can balance the shaft after installing the Remco disconnect. I use Driveshaft King in Dallas.

Another change is to not use the small push/pull cable that comes with the Remco kit. Install a PTO cable instead. (used on a dump truck to engage the Power Take Off to raise the bed.

This better cable is very important on a truck like your Toyoto because of the longer length cable required.
photoadjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Remco web site says yes - order part# 10060302

Home | Remco Towing
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
The bigger question might be Can The New Motor Home handle Towing such a Heavy Vehicle! Not just Pulling but also stopping!
Old 09-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Is the Tundra driveshaft a 2 piece? Our Tacoma was a 2 piece and Remco could only provide the rear shaft or the rear Remco piece. Not a big deal though. I had Driveshaft King in Dallas assembled the new rear piece with the existing front piece and balance the entire assembly after. Not a hiccup in the 3 years it has been used. Good product and good solution.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #6

5,000 towing capacity stated. should be more than enough to tow... braking option would be needed too. Man this all gets to be expensive doesn't it? Much more complicated than just towing my TT, decoupling and going on in the truck. :-) Will be better in the long run but so much noise right now.
VAN TREKKING lifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
We have been towing our Tundra since new. The Remco has been flawless. Ours weighs almost exactly 5K LBS. It tows great. We recently added a motorcycle loader to carry the bike. Also installed an Air Force One braking system. It works very well also.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:26 PM   #8

Opoteat,

Have been towing a 2008 Tacoma, 6spd MANUAL, 4WD, REAR drive behind my 2008 Winnebago Voyage about 3,000 miles from CT to Rapid City, SD. I use a REMCO rear drive disconnect. Call REMCO, they will tell what you need. You can not use a dolly cause truck is REAR drive. For braking use a SMI Stay In Play(which I have) or the SMI Air Force One(primarily designed for diesels but can be used on gassers). You DO NOT want to use the box brake systems that install between front seat and brake pedal because Toyota uses HYDROBOOST brake systems which means that even with the truck not running you still have power brakes. SMI is what you want to juse for your Toyota.

NAVYBLUE
navyblue is offline   Reply With Quote