Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #1

Can't make a decision

Getting ready to set up our first toad. Definitely want to tow 4 down. Bought a 2015!Jeep Cherokee Limited / Active Drive II. Now comes the fun part. Tow bar and Aux brakes. Choice 'A' is Ready brute elite. All in one. One and done. But, I would also like the ability to engage the Jeep's brakes from the motorhome, in the event it starts to sway for some reason. (I'm coming from towing a trailer, and that was an easy way to eliminate the trailer swaying). If I don't go with the ready brute, my next choice is the Blie Ox Aventa LX. Yes, it's overkill for a 4,000 lbs Jeep, but I like a large safety factor. That leaves the braking system. My two choices there are RVibrake2 or Stay-In-Play DUO. Both have good points and not so good.

It seems like every time I make up my mind, I start over analyzing it and change my mind again.

I think both tow bars are good and will get the job done. The Ready Brute option would be cheaper and an easier install, but you have no control over the braking from inside the motorhome.

Also, because the Cherokee has a combined brake light and turn signal, I have been told that I need to install a brake light relay on the brake switch wire. Since the Cherokee has the push to start, it requires you foot on the brake to engage the starter, and I don't want to mess with those inter-lock systems. So, worst case, the brake lights may override the turn signals.

Can you guys and gals let me know if my train of thought is valid, or should it be de-railed?

Confused in Baltimore

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ready Brute Elite. Works well, gets the job done.
I don't see any need to be able to apply the toad brakes independently...
Might want to rethink the 4000lb for the Jeep, by the time its wet and carrying stuff - it adds up to more.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:51 PM   #3

They quote the curb weight as 4000 lbs. for the Cherokee. That would be with full fluids. I have a 5K limit, though I would like to keep it as close to 4K as possible.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:47 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
Also, because the Cherokee has a combined brake light and turn signal, I have been told that I need to install a brake light relay on the brake switch wire. Since the Cherokee has the push to start, it requires you foot on the brake to engage the starter, and I don't want to mess with those inter-lock systems. So, worst case, the brake lights may override the turn signals.
Most vehicles out there require you to have your foot on the brake. If all else fails, pull the fuse, or get a fuse bypass switch and that will solve the problem.
You may want to look at the Classifieds section here, you can catch folks selling equipment they no longer use.
UsualSuspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BPoland,
There is another choice for a braking system that allows one to engage the toad brakes independent of the coach. The system is USGEAR. Go to Unified Tow Brake and check it out.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:34 PM   #6

I think if you have noticeable sway in your toad you have bigger problems than can be solved by a tap of the toad brakes. The physics of a toad are very different from a trailer and the ratio of weight of the tow vehicle to the towed is very different (1/1 ratio for trailer compared to 4/1 or more for the MH). If you feel any sway, you definitely need to do more than tap the brakes - like get the whole rig stopped and find out what's the problem.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
I think if you have noticeable sway in your toad you have bigger problems than can be solved by a tap of the toad brakes. The physics of a toad are very different from a trailer and the ratio of weight of the tow vehicle to the towed is very different (1/1 ratio for trailer compared to 4/1 or more for the MH). If you feel any sway, you definitely need to do more than tap the brakes - like get the whole rig stopped and find out what's the problem.
agree. This is why I commented above this is a braking feature not needed.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:37 PM   #8

After much debate, and back and forth, I think I'm going with the Ready Brute Elite, with a Blue Ox Base Plate. As a bonus, I think I can do the install, to save some $$$. I plan on having the base plate installed, since I admit being hesitant to remove the front fascia on the brand new Cherokee. Add to that, a plug and play wiring harness from Demco for the lights and I should be good to go, after the snow that's currently falling melts, that is.

Thanks for everyone sharing their opinions. It makes a difference.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:01 PM   #9

You have a lot more guts than I do. A brand spanking new Jeep as first toad. Good luck in your travels. You did get rock guard didn't you?
2013 Chevy Sonic Hatchback (Automatic)
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #10

Why is it that some people want such a complicated system when they can go with a Blue-Ox base plate, a Ready Brute Elite tow bar/brake system and a Towmate wireless light bar. Just remember that those complicated/ sophisticated systems (or any System) are not going to malfunction when parked in your driveway. They will fail while on a trip. With that being said most will not be able to repair without professional help, and if they know you are traveling you will must likely pay dearly. A simple system is less likely to fail and if it does much easier to repair.
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
You have a lot more guts than I do. A brand spanking new Jeep as first toad. Good luck in your travels. You did get rock guard didn't you?
I hadn't planned on getting a new car for a toad. I was planning on picking up a used Wrangler to tow 4 down. Then in January I unwillingly joined the demolition derby on a snow covered Baltimore Beltway, on my way to work. My 2011 Honda was totaled. By combining all three needs, I got a daily driver, 4X4, that will also be our toad. That's not how I planned it, but that's how it worked out.

Since the Cherokee has the V6, it also has what they call active shutters. There are electric shutters behind the front grill that close to improve aerodynamics when the engine doesn't need cooling, thereby improving gas mpg. I have to take a look and see how the shutters may impact the mounting of the Ready Brake cable, the break away unit, and the 6 pin plug. Since this is my daily driver, I would like everything hidden as much as possible. With 8 inches of fresh snow outside, it will be awhile before I can do anything.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post

Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post

agree. This is why I commented above this is a braking feature not needed.
That is not the reason for that feature on the Unified Tow Brake (UTB). The reason that I use the UTB brake lever is to verify braking action on the toad. When I tap on the brake lever on my UTB I can feel the braking being provided by my toad and therefore I know it is working. How do you verify this with other systems?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #13

You can eliminate the plug by using the towmate wirless light bar. Also the cable can be routed on the lower part of the front end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
I hadn't planned on getting a new car for a toad. I was planning on picking up a used Wrangler to tow 4 down. Then in January I unwillingly joined the demolition derby on a snow covered Baltimore Beltway, on my way to work. My 2011 Honda was totaled. By combining all three needs, I got a daily driver, 4X4, that will also be our toad. That's not how I planned it, but that's how it worked out.

Since the Cherokee has the V6, it also has what they call active shutters. There are electric shutters behind the front grill that close to improve aerodynamics when the engine doesn't need cooling, thereby improving gas mpg. I have to take a look and see how the shutters may impact the mounting of the Ready Brake cable, the break away unit, and the 6 pin plug. Since this is my daily driver, I would like everything hidden as much as possible. With 8 inches of fresh snow outside, it will be awhile before I can do anything.
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:45 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hi there BPoland,
I also have a 2015 Cherokee, mine is the Trailhawk. I really like it. We are trying to set it up as a toad as well. I was just wondering if you have installed the Ready Brake cable yet? I bought the ReadyBrute Elite as well, but we are having difficulty with the double firewall. My mechanic cannot find a way to get the cable mounted. The instructions say to look 2-3 inches around the spot directly behind the pedal to find a single thickness in the wall. We are at a standstill and I was hoping you could give me some tips or your solution to this problem. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Take care,

Spideygill