Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

Canyon Star 3920 Looking to tow a small truck

I recently purchased a 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 with a Blue Ox tow system. The tow system came with the 3920. I am looking to tow a small truck and need some direction on what vehicle would work best for me. The hitch rating is 5000Lbs. I am interested in a braking system as well so any advice on this is appreciated! Ideally, I am looking for the right solution that will allow me to be able to tow the vehicle but also use the truck on a day to day basis?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by teleattic View Post
I recently purchased a 2012 Newmar Canyon Star 3920 with a Blue Ox tow system. The tow system came with the 3920. I am looking to tow a small truck and need some direction on what vehicle would work best for me. The hitch rating is 5000Lbs. I am interested in a braking system as well so any advice on this is appreciated! Ideally, I am looking for the right solution that will allow me to be able to tow the vehicle but also use the truck on a day to day basis?
teleattic,
Well Sir, the very first thing you SHOULD do is, get your coach weighed. At this point, it's no necessary to do the "Four corner" weight thing, just the front, back, and total. Then, subtract that weight from the GVWR of the coach. Now, what this will give you is:
1. The actual weight of the coach and, you'll see how it's loaded.
2. You'll see what kind of lee-way you have so that you won't run over your GCWR.

Now, depending on what model brands of trucks you like, you'll be limited in the Ford category. You see, the Ford Ranger, was not flat towable from the factory, in the 4x4 auto version that is, due to the fact that it had/has no "neutral" in the transfer case. So, in some years, a "NTK" or, Neutral Tow Kit can be installed. You can find info on that later. But, once it's installed, you can then tow that unit.

The GMC Sonoma and the Chevy Colorado in the 4x4 auto versions are both flat towable from the factory with no modifications what so ever. I have never owned either so, I cannot speak for their dependability and or service record or, mpg.

The Dodge Durango in the 4x4 auto version is also flat towable from the factory too. No experience with that one either.

So, there are at least some choices for you and, if they appeal, you can do the research as to which one will be best suited for you. I will say that, that hitch rating is, almost low for your size of coach and you be fairly close to its limit no matter which truck you choose.

And, here's a tidbit of info for you. DO NOT TRUST THE DINGHY TOWING GUIDE for printed weights of intended tow vehicles. They are quite a bit off for about 99.9% of the time. They listed our '11 Honda CRV at 3200 and it weighed right at 3700. It listed our present toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab at 4875 and it tipped the certified scale at 5300. So, just for the self satisfaction of yourself, once you pick your truck, get it weighed so that you'll be thoroughly educated on total weights of all components. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just finished a similar search for an older, lighter, pickup toad. In addition to Fire Up's info above, I found the following possibles without mods;
2002, 04, 05 Nissan Frontier manual 2&4wd, N, 60mph max, idle every 500mi
2002, 04, 05 Ranger manual 2&4wd, N, 55mph max
Must check the owners manual though to be sure. I also lurked on the truck 4x4 forums for more data. Couldn't find one of the above I liked & in budget, so wound up with a nice '94 Toyota ext cab 4x4 5spd that some say 4down ok if both boxes in N, some say need to drop rear shaft. Toyota says no. Its raised so shaft drop not a big problem. Always compromises I guess :-), Now sorting out "deals" on tow bars, base plates, & braking systems for it. Happy Hunting, Rick
Old 10-18-2013, 10:16 PM   #4

When we had our mh we towed a Chevy Colorado 4x4, very simple. Put the transfer case in neutral, shift in park, and key in your pocket as there is no steering column lock.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We towed a Colorado Crew 4x4 for more than 60,000 miles without one problem It's actual weight was 4200 lb. We now tow a Sierra Crew 4x4 but it weighs about 5500 lb. and would be too heavy for a gasser.
We use a Blue Ox Aventa and a brake buddy.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Can't help you with towing so much but can give you a Brochure with weights in your coach and a Owners Guide if you need them.
Congratulations on the Newmar many safe miles for you.
In my signature there are three links with much more info related to your coach, check them out.
When you have the time come join us in the Newmar forum.
Enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #7

We towed a 2008 Ford Ranger 4x4 behind a gas coach and found it to be a great tow unit. In fact I still have the neutral tow kit and tow brakets if anyone can use them.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate the help!