Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Captiva Toad is Ready(Brute) to Go!

We just finished getting our 2012 Captiva ready to tow using the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and brake system. Hardest part was mounting the Blue Ox mounting plate and wiring the lights. The mounting plate install process is just a dirty time consuming job, it's not technically hard, just stressful because you take the front off your car and put it back on again after cutting some frame members. Wiring the lights was mostly simple except I used 2 new 6 wire round plugins and the ground prong in the original socket on our RV had been squeezed over the years when we've towed a trailer with it and it took me a while to realize that that was what was keeping the lights from working properly. Once we realized that, we just inserted a utility knife blade tip into the ground prong (it's a split prong) and spread it out a little to make contact with the mating plug and all was well! We added a Protect-A-Tow and now we're ready to go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome and Captiva 002.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	43664   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome and Captiva 004.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	317.3 KB
ID:	43665  

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Looks good. We use the same bar setup and have been very pleased with it.

RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #3

I like your setup. We like our Chevy Captiva as a Toad.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Ron, your help with my questions was very helpful. I'm very happy with the setup now that I've tested it. The Blue Ox mounting plate all but disappears when not towing, the ReadyBrute is more than adequate for the Captiva, the ReadyBrake works as advertised, I think the Protect A Tow will earn back it's cost, and it all gets connected easily and quickly! I've pulled alot of trailers including double bottom trailering, but this is the first time we've pulled an auto with a motorhome, but it pulled and corners so well that if I didn't have the back up camera on I wouldn't have known it was there. We're going to be very happy with this new chapter in our RVing experience!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well we have a couple hundred miles towing the Captiva and have hook/unhooked a few times now and each time gets a little easier and quicker. I'm still nervous about doing everything correctly when hooking up, especially concerning the transmission on the toad. Our neighbor on the campsite next to our's just lost his toad (Chevy Blazer) on the way here. He said that it was already smoking pretty well when he looked at his rear monitor and saw the trouble. He said he's towed it many times and miles before ( for a number of years ) and doesn't know what went wrong! Pulling and reinstalling the fuze on the Captiva is a pain and I am going to look into the fuzemaster or assembling my own version of it. I'm very impressed with the ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and would recommend it to anyone looking for a tow bar.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 AM   #6

I made my own switch and fuse harness. Makes it much easier to get Captiva tow ready. I leave the radio on when setting trans in neutral. When I throw the switch radio goes off. It makes a good indicator that switch is working.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Isn't the Captiva the old Saturn Vue just with a Chevy badge?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixguy View Post
Isn't the Captiva the old Saturn Vue just with a Chevy badge?
It the same car as the 2008 to 2010 Saturn Vue.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, it's a rebadged Saturn Vue, and makes a great toad! We really like the looks of it and it falls well below the maximum weight limit for our RV, 4 doors, auto transmission, all sorts of bells and whistles, and at just over 6' - I still fit comfortably in it and can get into and out of it without banging my head on the top of the door opening!

Tags
toad