Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Car And Motorcycle

Will soon be purchasing 2008 Excursion 40X. Want to tow Mini Cooper Countryman S and Harley Road Glide. Trying to consider ALL things, would like to get opinions & feedback on this subject. Three ways I've tried to picture is: 1. Motorcycle "carrier" lifts bike & keeps it up & close to the coach. Then have dolly for car hitched under that. 2. Tandem Tow dolly. Hauls bike & car. 3. Enclosed trailer.
Again any ideas or suggestions welcomed, on conveinence, safety, weight, exspence,etc.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

My humble opinion and 2 cents: Been there, done that, got the T shirt...

Tandem Tow dolly. The best way to go and the cheapest.

Unless you have a tandem rear your coach will see saw all the way down the road with a lift and they are around $4,000 installed.

Towing an enclosed trailer is better but a lot of CG will make you drop the trailer in the back before you park which is a PITA and you would need at least a 20' one which would have a heavy tongue weight with a bike and car in it so you would have to beef up your frame, hitch and buy an expensive hitch set up.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #3

X2. I have the Hydra-lift and don't use it. Iron Horse double when just going to Sturgis. Tow dolly trailer with Smart car and Dyna Wide glide and Heritage Classic when on trip with the other half.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider View Post
Will soon be purchasing 2008 Excursion 40X. Want to tow Mini Cooper Countryman S and Harley Road Glide. Trying to consider ALL things, would like to get opinions & feedback on this subject. Three ways I've tried to picture is: 1. Motorcycle "carrier" lifts bike & keeps it up & close to the coach. Then have dolly for car hitched under that. 2. Tandem Tow dolly. Hauls bike & car. 3. Enclosed trailer.
Again any ideas or suggestions welcomed, on conveinence, safety, weight, exspence,etc.
i presently use a stehl dolly to tow my altima. i use dexter electric brakes and controller. i license my dolly as a trailer in wa so i can tow other things beside a licensed motor vehicle on it. that costs about $30 annually.
i haven't figured out how to take a small yamaha 200 cc dual sport mc with us yet.
imho in your case, a car/cycle tandem combo dolly such as these would be best. landgrebe sells on ebay.

Landgrebe Manufacturing: Specifications TD 40 101 with Motorcycle Carrier

Motorcycle/Car Tow Dollies For Sale : Tandem Tow
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:58 AM   #5

You can buy a good used dolly that is heavy duty and cut it by the hitch and add on a 3' platform side ways to hold the bike. I figured it would cost less than $1,500 to buy the dolly and do this.

I was going to do this but then got my 5th wheel which I'm now building a swivel trailer to tow my Harley.