Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #1

I plan on towing a car on a kar kaddy and wonder, are the lights on the kaddy enough, or do I need lights on the car also. I've seen both on the highways.

Thanks

Wayne

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2006, 12:00 PM   #2

I plan on towing a car on a kar kaddy and wonder, are the lights on the kaddy enough, or do I need lights on the car also. I've seen both on the highways.

Thanks

Wayne

2002 Newmarr Kountry Star 3566
wynedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #3

Because the lights on the car dolly are so far up frontand somewhat obsecured, I would recommend putting magnetic tow lights on the roff or trunk of the vehicle you are towing. I purchased a pair on e-bay & installed a flat 4 wire plug on the tow dolly for easy connection & disconnect. I think the lights help motorists behind the towed vehicle see it a lot better.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #4

I would recommend purchasing a set of magnetic tow lights & use them when you tow the vehicle. The lights on the tow dolly are way forward of the rear of the towed vehicle making them somewhat obscured. I bought a pair on E-bay for about $25.00 & installed a flat 4 wire plug on the dolly for the lights.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #5

I tow on a kar kaddy, and agree with the others that you should use mag. lights on the back of the car, as well as the lights on the dolly. I have a split harness with a connector for the mag. lights and one for the dolly. You have plenty of lights this way.
CharlieW
Old 07-03-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
When we towed a dinghy on a dolly, I used magnetic lights on the dinghy as I did not feel the dolly light were enough in the right place.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The lights on the dolly meet legal requirements but are best augmented for better safety, as the others have explained.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:06 AM   #8

Go with the magnetic lights. Much safer and more visible especially in fog, smoke, etc.

Also, clean off the dirt from the car fender or roof and then put a small piece of thin rubber between the car and the magnet. It will save scratches on the paint.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I plan to tow a 2005 Caddie on the dolly. Can I run the wiring from the dolly lighting straight into the car? For instance, hook the turn signal into the wire going into the front signal light wire, and the tail light wire into the front clearance light.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:37 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Can I run the wiring from the dolly lighting straight into the car? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not without diodes.

The two must be isolated from each other.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is there a tutorial on how to hook up with diodes. I have seen this mentioned on the posts but do not know how or why