Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
car carrier trailer

Merry Christmas out there
We have a 2005 Dutchstar with a 350 Cat C7 motor. We are fulltimers who spend our winters on our developed lot in south central florida. We find that we have two cars - a toad and a nice sporty convertible. I want to sell the toad which is a 2013 Scion XB - standard with a blue ox towing package and get an 18 to 20 foot enclosed trailer to transport the convertible. I've used tow dolies and don't want this car towed that way. What I need to know is what are the pros and cons of a trailer. Finding a place at RV parks in the summer to park it if the lot can't fit RV + Hooked up trailer. Weight issues. Driving and backing issues. Things like that. Thanks for any help you can give me. Oh - the toad is for sale. Wonderful shape 25k miles.
tnsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #2

car carrier trailer

Length, total.
Weights, trailer loaded and plus coach. Hitch.
Trailer brakes.
Long tongue or v nose to help prevent corner collisions if jacknifed when backing or turning sharply.

There is a thread with many setups like the one you're thinking of on this forum somewhere.

And, we are starting to look for a toad! Pics of yours for sale?

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:43 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have towed toad with dolly, 4 down, and trailer. All have advantages/disadvantages. Trailer biggest disadvantage to me is when I take mine in for service (about once per year) with not currently having a 4 down option. But that is the biggest inconvenience I have experienced.

As dvmweb pointed out, there are several threads on this so I encourage you to do a search.

I love the trailer, the cleanliness of my vehicle/vehicles, security, lack of damage (road debris etc), flexibility of taking whatever I desire or taking both my Harley and vehicle, extra storage, extra room at events/parks including sleeping area, many advantages.

A little planning campgrounds will not be an issue, storage of the trailer hasn't been an issue for me, usually stayed hooked up but sometime need to unhook and usually get to keep it very close for accessibility and to date I haven't paid anything extra in storage fees while on the road.

Make sure your hitch and coach can handle the weight and the tongue weight, I wouldn't worry too much about length if you are talking about 18-20' trailer even if you have a 45' Dutch Star, but I would not get too short of a trailer. I would also pay attention to the height of the door opening in case you decide to take a taller vehicle.

Some other points to consider on the trailer, plenty of axle capacity, good brakes, lights, dove tail, reinforced ramp door and floor to handle the weight, 'e' track in the floor for various securing points and 'd' rings. I have found with the flexibility that I also need to load differently for tongue weight, for instance I back my Escalade ESV in which allows less tongue weight and more room up front for storage.

As stated, lots of good information and if you get serious about the trailer, feel free to PM me after you do some research on here because there is a lot of great information. Good luck!
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote