Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grimsle View Post
American Rascal,

Do you have brakes on tow dolly and auxillary braking system on toad rear wheels?
Never heard of using auxillary brakes while dolly towing.

IMO, synchronizing the two independent brake systems would be a nightmare.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
American Rascal,

Do you have brakes on tow dolly and auxillary braking system on toad rear wheels?
I also have never heard of doing this. Not saying you couldn't or shouldn't but it is not required by law in my state as long as the dolly has brakes.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:46 PM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
I would not want brakes on the toad, for fear the toad brakes would engage and put stress/pressure on the tie down straps, with potential for adverse consequences. IMO
TnT612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:20 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnT612 View Post
I would not want brakes on the toad, for fear the toad brakes would engage and put stress/pressure on the tie down straps, with potential for adverse consequences. IMO
Not following that logic.

When the dolly stops, there is the same but, oposite direction, stress on the straps.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #33
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our Demco has disc brakes and I cannot tell the toad is there when braking. They do an excellent job. Nothing further needed.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanrasc View Post
I've been down both roads. Towed flat first for many years. Wife then wanted a front wheel drive that could not be towed flat so went with an American Car Dolly.

I can't tell any measurable difference in hook up time once proficient in loading the dolly. Dolly less expensive and keeps nose of car upward avoiding more flying debris on the grill area. Seems easier on wear and tear on the car. Dolly only weighs 400 lbs. Dolly just seems like a lot less headache and no braking mods to the car and tow bar set ups.

Towed from Alaska to Fla and back with the car on the dolly with no problems and great peace of mind.

Our dolly slides up under the moho and does not present a storage problem when not in use.

I can't see any reason I'd ever want to go back to a four down flat tow. But many folks swear by 4 down. I just can't see going 4 down again having done it both ways. Many folks see it different though.
Some of us tow 4 down because the vehicle we take along can't be towed on a dolly. We tow an 04 Wrangler 4 down. It has to be towed either with all 4 down or on a trailer.

Like you we had no problem using a dolly. When we started RVing we had a Buick LeSabre that couldn't be towed 4 down and we didn't want to buy a different car. We used a Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly to tow the Buick about 25,000 miles. It worked fine.

The only problem was that we started getting into off roading. Several times we towed the Buick half way across the country only to leave it parked at the campsite while we rented a Jeep. After a while it seemed pointless so we purchased an 04 Jeep Wrangler. My original intention was to tow it on the dolly. After reading the owners manual I found that wasn't possible, so we went the 4 down route.

We kept the dolly several years thinking we might get tired of riding in the Jeep and go back to a Buick. A few years ago some friends also bought a motorhome and asked if we liked the dolly. We replied that it did a good job, but couldn't be used with our Jeep. They offered to buy it, and have been using it ever since.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #35

I use a dolly to tie our Mini Cooper and have a question for others using tow dollys.
Do you use extra lights for brakes and turn signals or use only the lights on the tow dolly?
Old 04-02-2016, 04:30 PM   #36

I use only the lights on the dolly. I have a short and narrow KIA Soul and don't drive at night.

Been thinking about adding some but haven't yet.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #37

I prefer the tow dolly/ it does not wear out the front tires as fast and there is no difference in trying to back up. I ma not suren if there is a weight difference or not but so far I like dolling better.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:39 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
American Rascal,

Do you have brakes on tow dolly and auxiliary braking system on toad rear wheels?
No auxiliary braking on the car wheels- only on dolly.

Electric Brakes (controller system on dolly wired through brake light circuit) on dolly which is adjustable , and then I added a break away switch to the dolly. I believe one will find certain provinces in Canada and some states require breakaway over 3K lbs. Please correct me if I am wrong about this but regardless i wanted it and it only took 10 minutes to install the break away. The set up has been flawless now for 25,000 miles.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
I started out towing on a dolly then moved to towing 4 down. I would not go back to dolly towing unless I had to.

I found dolly towing to be a pain. I regularly had to get on the ground to get the straps connected/disconnected.

Sometimes we had to find a place to park the dolly off the campsite which brought in security and anti-theft issues.

I have my tow bar and my gear on the front of my Ford Edge locked on so all I have to do is pull 2 pins and disconnect the wires and safety chains and I am good to go.

The tow bars collapse and fold neatly behind the rig.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWJK55 View Post
I use a dolly to tie our Mini Cooper and have a question for others using tow dollys.
Do you use extra lights for brakes and turn signals or use only the lights on the tow dolly?
We used additional magnetic lights on the trunk of our Buick. The Wisconsin state law says the dolly lights are sufficient, but I don't know if that applies to all other states. Given the lack of attention many drivers have today we didn't want to take the chance that they might be looking for lights at the back of the vehicle rather than those on the fenders of the dolly, which were at about the rear of the front doors.

We used a kit similar to this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wir.../C-ATL20A.html

It came with 2 plastic disks to place between the magnets and the trunk lid to avoid scratching the paint. We tapped into the dolly harness and added a socket to plug in the new lights.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Can anyone comment on brand, model pros and cons? We are in the market for one and I'm not sure which one to get. I like the demco but don't know much about the other comparable brands and pricing.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:20 AM   #42

I use a Stehl Tow dolly. Surge brakes, fixed ramps, large tires and swivel plate. 16,000 miles and no issues.

They are stocked in large hardware stores, ready to pickup and use.

Many who have bought other brands and claim they are great.

If you investigate, you hear about split tires that not available in many places, hard to replace brakes, ramps falling off while loading and lights failing out.

The ones without swivel plates or wheel steering, need the steering lock released by leaving the key on, if your car has one.