Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #1

car dolly

Does anyone have one of the ACME dollys with the hydraulic disc brakes?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #2

I bought one a year ago and love it.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:35 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman8 View Post
Does anyone have one of the ACME dollys with the hydraulic disc brakes?
I would be leery of the 10'' wheels and tires.
my stehl dolly has 13'' wheels and tires and electric drum brakes. the new ones have 14''. i wish mine had 14''.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #4

What is you don't like about the 10" wheels, and why are 14" better than 10" or 13" ??
Old 07-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
What is you don't like about the 10" wheels, and why are 14" better than 10" or 13" ??
larger diameter wheels turn fewer rpm at a given speed, run cooler, and have higher weight capacities.
wheel bearings run cooler too.
imho the only downside is that the spare tire/wheel assembly is larger and a little heavier.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
JDT

Don't own one so all I know is what I read. I have been studying these things ad nauseum. The Acme is one of 2 I have found that is wide enough and has enough capacity for our 4722 lb toad.

The other is the Master Tow 80THD. The differences I have noted, and correct me if I'm wrong, is the Acme does not appear to have wheels that swivel with turns, the 80THD does. The Acme has detachable ramps, the 80THD ramps are permanently attached and it tilts down for loading. The 80THD now has LED tail lights as standard and uses 14" wheels. It costs about $300 more.

These are just my observations in researching. Not sure if any of these differences amount to anything other than personal preferences. I am leaning toward the Master Tow because the dealer is the same place we bought our motorhome and his price is in line with everyone else's. Plus, they will set it up for me and show me how everything works. There were 5 dealers in a 125 mile radius of us.

I think I will call Acme tomorrow, though, as I am interested enough to ask more questions.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #7

My 10" tire is rated at 1650 lbs max, each. The weight capacity is determined by the tire not the rim size, you can get a variety of weight capacities in 10" or 14" tires.
The circumference of the tire is 66" (I just measured it), so 1 RPM every 66".
63,360 inches in a mile.
63,360 divide by 66 = 960 revolutions per mile.
60mph = 1 mile per minute.
960 RPM for a 10" tire.
Hopefully someone will check my math.
And maybe someone will measure a 14" tire so we can compare.
I was on the road today for about 300 miles and when I pulled into the park I felt my wheel bearings and they were not hot.
It came with sealed, 5-year warranty bearings.

JDT,

The ACME wheels do not swivel or steer or pivot.
My suggestion is to read some of the posts from people that are having a lot of problems with wheel alignment
and tire wear from the steerable/swivel/pivot wheels on a dolly.
Have about 6000 miles on my dolly and NO tire problems, hardly any tread wear either.
LED taillights are a $50 option on the ACME dolly, weren't available when I bought mine so paid $30 for waterproof LED boat taillights at Harbor Freight, they work great.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #8
JDT

Sequim Guy, since the wheels don't pivot do you have to leave the steering wheel on the car unlocked so its wheels will turn?

Hey, just noticed your 9th Infantry emblam. When I went to VN in July 67 I had orders for the 9th at Bearcat. When the plane landed at (forgot the name of the airbase) the whole plane load of us were diverted to the 11th Armored Cav at Blackhorse base camp. In its infinite wisdom, the Army forget that when the 11th came over the year before everyone would be going home at the same time.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #9

I leave my steering wheel unlocked, but I don't know if you really have to, I just think it is probably a good idea. When turning tight I can see the car wheels turn a little on the dolly.

Did my year in the Delta with the 9th, '68 - '69. Was an Arty FO and spent my time in the mud with the grunts of the 6/31st, they were the best.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #10

I'm glad to read that at least two others have this dolly. I just purchased one on the 30th at what I thought was a great price, plus they threw in the spare tire and rim and the LED light upgrade. I've never pulled anything besides a 3 horse slant with a truck. But then again, I've never driven anything larger either until I bought my 38 ft Newmar. And it is a chinch to drive, lets hope with the toad, all will be well. LOL
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just bought a ez-tow last month and used once for 500mi. I didn't have a problem, I had a f150 on it pulling at 75mph. I leave trck in unlocked so it will track. I have the LED upgrade, bought it used one time. I have no reservations with it at all.
Larry
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryb484 View Post
I just bought a ez-tow last month and used once for 500mi. I didn't have a problem, I had a f150 on it pulling at 75mph. I leave trck in unlocked so it will track. I have the LED upgrade, bought it used one time. I have no reservations with it at all.
Larry
If I'm reading your post correctly, were you towing the 150 backwards? (rear wheels on the dolly)
If so, how did it tow. I want to tow my Frontier and there is no driveshaft disconnect kit available so that is the only way. Some say it can't be done, others say it works fine.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #13

I assumed he was towing a F-150 stick shift, not backwards.
Towing backwards without steering wheel locked would be impossible, I think.
Or at least a video for Youtube.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
If I'm reading your post correctly, were you towing the 150 backwards? (rear wheels on the dolly)
If so, how did it tow. I want to tow my Frontier and there is no driveshaft disconnect kit available so that is the only way. Some say it can't be done, others say it works fine.
That's because with some vehicles it works fine (ever if no dolly manufacturer says you can) and others it won't work on. Has to do with the front end geometry. The settings are for going forward, not backward and the components are strong enough for normal use, but not towing backwards.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dolly