Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Car Dolly Thoughts

Planning a trip this summer and would like to tow my 2014 chevy cruze or the 07 jeep liberty behind our 03 Dutchman chevy class C . A dolly makes the most sense to be able to tow either . What do you think ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2016, 10:26 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is the Liberty front wheel drive? If four wheel drive it can't be towed on a dolly, and maybe not even four down depending the the drive setup as some Jeep four wheel drive rigs can't be. We had a '97 GC with the Quadra Trak that worked great.

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Buying a used tow dolly is cheaper and allows more flexibility than having base plate and wiring installed in one vehicle. Some folks object to dealing with the tow dolly in the campsite, it's really whatever you're comfortable with and willing to do.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:59 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We've towed the same vehicle ('05 Ody) behind the same RV ('02 DSDP) both four down and on a Demco KK-460 dolly.
Dolly isn't bad, just a little more trouble to move and store sometimes and less wear on the towed since the driveline isn't rotating and the suspension isn't working as much.
Four down is easier to hook up but requires modification to the rig and causes add'l wear and tear.
We towed a '95 Ody on a dolly behind our '97 Type C MH without much trouble. On a 10% grade we did get down to 25 mph though. The dolly did have surge brakes.
Still need more info on the Jeep being towable or not.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have both.

The Dolly is less convenient than 4 down (loading, unloading, dolly storage) but far more versatile. The dolly can tow almost anything. AND, If you're a subsidiary of "Dads Auto service, repair, and towing" then having a dolly is almost a must for retrieving broken cars.

Cost for the dolly vs a 4 down package will be similar (if you're a DIYer). I just put a Saturn Vue base plate (new) and Blue Ox tow bar (used) for under $500. I'm looking at a brake system that I should be able to get for $500 or less.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:32 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you are contemplating towing two different vehicles, and both are towable with the front wheels on a dolly, then the dolly is the way to go. We bought a brand new dolly with electric brakes for $1175. You won't equip a vehicle for four down towing for twice that.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:23 PM   #7

Barmcd. May I ask what dolly you bought? I have been looking and that is a good price for a dolly with brakes.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually it seems to me that 4 down is quite a bit more expensive. You need a suitable 4 wheel drive vehicle or other towable vehicle. That usually commands a premium. Then you have to outfit it with a baseplate and electrical and a towbar. And, you need a brake unit as best I understand it. And you need to wire the lights to work on the toad.

For a dolly, you need a dolly with brakes, either electric or surge. If you opt for electric brakes, there may be some wiring involved and a brake controller in the coach. You need a front wheel drive vehicle, generally much less $$ than 4WD. Dolly would be a bit of a hassle as you do have to load and unload. And there is some amount of maintenance to the dolly itself, such as bearings and tires.

I've been trying to figure out which way I want to go myself, if at all. So far we've been able to rent a car at our destination or use Uber or Lyft.
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:00 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
Actually it seems to me that 4 down is quite a bit more expensive. You need a suitable 4 wheel drive vehicle or other towable vehicle. That usually commands a premium....

...I've been trying to figure out which way I want to go myself, if at all. So far we've been able to rent a car at our destination or use Uber or Lyft.
There are many inexpensive models that can be towed 4 down. It doesn't have to be a 4 wheel drive vehicle, in fact some aren't at all towable if they don't have a transfer case that can be shifted into neutral.

Manual transmissions are often able to be towed, but here in the U.S. few folks can drive a 'stick' anymore. Many automatic transmissions can be found that are towable, but don't take the word of a salesman, check here and double check in the owner's manual of the vehicle you are interested in buying.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:08 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Still waiting for the OP to answer the question about the Jeep being able to be towed four down.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep, a dolly allows you swap cars with no extra effort.

Plus there's no extra miles added to the bottom end of the car's drive-line... and there's nearly to no risk of rock strikes.

There are often used dollies available because people leave the RV hobby or going to flat tow. And the Acme Eze-Tow can be had new at a rather affordable price. That's what we have...towed everything from a subcompact to a full sized truck (dropped the drive shaft).
Acme "EZE-TOW" Tow Dolly - Car Tow Dolly

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:05 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We bought a KK-460 and still have it even though we now tow the Ody four down. Someday I may sell it although with fewer vehicles being towable four down I may just keep it just in case.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildjaych View Post
Barmcd. May I ask what dolly you bought? I have been looking and that is a good price for a dolly with brakes.
It's a Master Tow. I found it at a Big Tex trailer dealer in Livingston, TX on craigslist. It was cheaper than two used ones listed in Austin and San Antonio.

Use this search engine to search craigslist in multiple zip codes at the same time.

searchtempest.com
Old 06-13-2016, 01:32 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Hi All! Just got back from a trip . Ok , I cked my jeep owner's manual ; It said front or rear lifts should not be used . So if I want to tow the jeep it looks like 4 down or a trailer . Haven't had a chance to ck the Chevy Cruse owner's manual yet. Just might be a trailer , or a rental a few time a year. Who knows .. Thanks for the feedback !!

Tags
dolly