Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Me either. I was looking at used and on three occasions they asked $2k and got it within a week. I offered one seller $1900 but the weekend I was to look at it, it sold for $2k. The economy was better then.

If you don't need the money, hold off until the traveling season fires back up. You started selling it just as the season was dying out so that may have had something to do with it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #30

Backing plates on an axle with no brakes are different than those with brakes. The backing plate for brakes has raised pads for the shoes to sit on. The pads assure the shoes are far enough in the drum so they make full contact, and minimize the force needed to actuate the brake shoes.

Backing plates for brakes also have the holes for the return springs, shoe mounting springs, and the star adjuster in the proper place. In addition they have a spring attachment and shoe pivot stud at the top, as well as the holes to mount a wheel cylinder (for hydraulic brakes).

Generally a welded backing plate is mounted on a thinner surface. Its main purpose is to serve as a dust shield to keep the road debris from damaging the bearing seal. A backing plate for brakes is usually bolted to a 1/2" or 3/8" plate. Remember when the brakes are applied the force is transmitted through the shoes and backing plate to the mounting surface and eventually to the axle.

You may be able to cut off a non-brake backing plate and replace it with one set up for shoes. However you have to be precise to be sure the shoes are in the proper relationship to the drum. You'll also have to be sure both sides are identical to avoid pulling to one side. That's why backing plates meant for brake shoes are bolted to the axle mounting pad. When all the holes in the backing plate align with the threaded holes in the mounting plate the shoes are properly aligned and identical on both sides

Old 02-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #31

I have the same tow dolly that Sequim Guy has, and so far I really like it. It's very quick and easy to hook up and tow, and the surge brakes work great, the lighting hookup is very easy, and the LED lights are great & highly visible. I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I've towed a front-wheel drive Chevy Aveo from Olympia, WA to Lincoln City, OR & back, and this last weekend I towed my smart car from Olympia to Sequim (hey, what a coincidence) and back with NO problems. In fact, I barely knew the Aveo was back there, and I really couldn't even tell the smart car was back there. The really nice thing about this dolly is that you can go from a really small car, like my smart, to a full-sized SUV (as long as your coach can pull it) without any problems. It's a really nice design, and extremely well made. It's also one of the most reasonably priced systems out there. At around $1900 including shipping to your front door, the price can't be beat. Although I think they've changed their removable ramp design. I have the Rhino ramps, and I think they have more traction, especially when wet. :>)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Hi all. I have removed several post from this thread because we don't allow any sort of "advertising" of items for sale outside of our classifieds section. I realize they were intended to help but it's something we watch carefully so the forum doesn't get clogged with attempts at "selling".

Thanks for your understanding.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 AM   #33

bigcritter,

Your price of $1900 sounded a little high to me so I checked the ACME web site,
currently the EZE-TOW dollys are $1490 with free shipping.
Add $75 dollars and they will deliver it to your front door.
It says the price goes up on Mar 1st.
I'm still extremely happy with mine.
The biggest thing I have had on mine is a '03 Santa Fe,
just bought a '12 Jeep Patriot but it weighs less than the Santa Fe.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
Backing plates on an axle with no brakes are different than those with brakes. The backing plate for brakes has raised pads for the shoes to sit on. The pads assure the shoes are far enough in the drum so they make full contact, and minimize the force needed to actuate the brake shoes.

Backing plates for brakes also have the holes for the return springs, shoe mounting springs, and the star adjuster in the proper place. In addition they have a spring attachment and shoe pivot stud at the top, as well as the holes to mount a wheel cylinder (for hydraulic brakes).

Generally a welded backing plate is mounted on a thinner surface. Its main purpose is to serve as a dust shield to keep the road debris from damaging the bearing seal. A backing plate for brakes is usually bolted to a 1/2" or 3/8" plate. Remember when the brakes are applied the force is transmitted through the shoes and backing plate to the mounting surface and eventually to the axle.

You may be able to cut off a non-brake backing plate and replace it with one set up for shoes. However you have to be precise to be sure the shoes are in the proper relationship to the drum. You'll also have to be sure both sides are identical to avoid pulling to one side. That's why backing plates meant for brake shoes are bolted to the axle mounting pad. When all the holes in the backing plate align with the threaded holes in the mounting plate the shoes are properly aligned and identical on both sides

OK What we have here is a failure to communicate. I understand what you mean by backing plate. To my knowledge they are or should be bolted onto a square plate that is welded to the stub axle. I was thinking you meant the square plate.

All is OK now
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim Guy View Post
bigcritter,

Your price of $1900 sounded a little high to me so I checked the ACME web site,
currently the EZE-TOW dollys are $1490 with free shipping.
Add $75 dollars and they will deliver it to your front door.
It says the price goes up on Mar 1st.
I'm still extremely happy with mine.
The biggest thing I have had on mine is a '03 Santa Fe,
just bought a '12 Jeep Patriot but it weighs less than the Santa Fe.
Yep, you're right. I was looking at another website selling the dolly, and not the manufacturer's website. Can't beat that price! Mine tows so well, the only way to tell it's there is the rearview camera. : + )
Old 02-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
Commercial Member

Dolly brand

Found local dealer with STEHL brand dolly w/Electric brakes at $1399 including tie down straps.

Opinions on this brand? Price seems right and local dealer would make any warrantie issues easier.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #37

Hi, I was able to pick up a Stehl Dolly when I bought my Coach in South Carolina I believe the Factory is there. The Guy advertised on the local Craigslist, he was able to get Factory Demos. Mine was New leftover with Electric Brakes $750. Just do a search with Craigslist Buddy for Piedmiont South Carolina 29673 or there abouts.
Robert
Old 02-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #38

The Stehl dolly utilizes a swivel pad for turning corners as opposed to steerable wheels. In general the swivel design is less expensive primarily because there are fewer moving parts. I certainly see a lot of them on the road so they must be doing something right.

For comparison sake take a look at the Roadmaster 2000-1 dolly.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories

It's an example of one that uses steerable wheels. It's considerably more expensive but does have a few features that may interest you. I'm not suggesting you spend double the money, just throwing in a little information as to what is available.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:47 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Found local dealer with STEHL brand dolly w/Electric brakes at $1399 including tie down straps.

Opinions on this brand? Price seems right and local dealer would make any warrantie issues easier.
i bought my new stehl dolly several years ago and didn't use it for 1.5 years.
my first trip from vancouver, wa. to reno wore out both tires.
i found that the wheels had 3/4'' of toe in. it took 2 trips to truck alignment shops and another set of tires to get it squared away. the manufacturer would not talk to me or either of the alignment shops.
before you purchase a stehl dolly, check the wheel alignment with a tape measure.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #40

my self i have had a stel tow dolly tire man that is high you can but them new $800 no brakes 1000 with then another 100 for spare. i agree on craigslist thats how i found mine new on texas oklahoma line

Tags
dolly, towing