Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
"Car in Tow" sign?

Saw a "Car in Tow" sign the other day, for the first time in an eon, then saw it mentioned in the "Auxilliary Brakes" thread. Must confess, I never thought about it since I've been towing.

Is this a legal requirement? I have to ask, because, obviously, no one does it. (Well, maybe one.)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:14 AM   #2

Shooter,

I have used a homemade Car In Tow sign, but only when I did not have the brake and tail lights wired to the the Tow Vehicle. i.e. When I Sold my Yukon to Car Max, and had to have a vehicle to drive home.

Don't know about the legal stuff, but would "assume" that without brake and tail lights, you should used a sign, kinda like a red flag tied to a load of lumber hanging more than four feet past your vehicle.

Harold

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have used a Car in Tow sign as long as I have owned a Motor Home. Even with the sign on the rear window of our Jeep we have had other cars pull along side the tow vehicle as they were getting on the highway, and try as they may to force the tow vehicle into another lane, other have given the car a 1 finger wave. The DW would like me to put a Car in Tow sign also on the side of the car.
The law in many States require the sign and that is why most RV supply stores sell them. Now, as to when they are required, I do not know, but I will try anything not to be in a accident.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:50 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do you have a link to a site that lists the states which require "Car in Tow" signs..

I have a program on my computer: Avery Design Pro. It is FREE from Avery, the folks who make peal and stick labels in many sizes and shapes including 8 1/2" by 11", I use it to make signs of many types.. Only pay for Paper, Ink, Power for the computer and the laminator and lamination sheets.. And those I don't always pay for

Last park I was at the janitor complained that someone had filched her "Closed for cleaning sign"

I fired up Design Pro, downloaded a decent graphic from the net, made two different verisons of Closed for cleaning, printed out five copies (2 sided, one version on one side, the other on the flip side) and gave 'em to the activities director who laminated them using the park laminator.. I spent perhaps 10 cents, she now has a new sign, and 4 spares
Old 06-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdossett View Post
Shooter,

I have used a homemade Car In Tow sign, but only when I did not have the brake and tail lights wired to the the Tow Vehicle.

Harold
Thanks, Harold, makes sense. Now that you mention it, I usually see signs like that when someone is towing diabled vehicle, maybe a classic relic to be rebuilt, etc. Come to think of it, you never see a tow truck put a sign on what they are towing; they put the portable brake light/turn signal on the trunk.

My toad is wired to the coach, so I think that's good enough for me.
Thanks, all.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
In Or-E-Gun they are not required.

I was at a sign shop one day and saw that they made magnetic signs. Just for fun I had this made up.

Sold: 2007 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40' diesel Motor Coach
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
In Or-E-Gun they are not required.

I was at a sign shop one day and saw that they made magnetic signs. Just for fun I had this made up.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will ask again,, Read and Learn said that the law in many states requires such a sign.. Well, I do not know of such a law, but then There are 50 states and I really only know one, so that's not in any way critical of Read and Learn.. And I would prefer to learn by reading so.

Can anyone (Read and Learn please) Provide a list of states that have such a law and possibly an example of such a law?

Thank you in advance
Old 06-24-2009, 01:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I kinda look at it this way. If other drivers can't see the car, why?, would they read the sign?
Do you need to put them on the sides and back?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
dave from mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #10

I have been thinking of putting a sign STUDENT DRIVER on my toad as a defensive type thing. I have about 25,000 miles under my belt, but I think that sign might tend to stop some folks from tailgating and doing some of the stuff we always have to put up with. Anytime I have seen that sign on a car, I have given it a wide berth.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #11

i saw a sign that said "back off, i've been pushing this motorhome for miles"....

well, something like that. it was funny when i saw it.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Go To Ask.com type in car in tow signs will send you to a brunch of sites. Some will state as required in many States. I don't have the time to go to the DMV law sites and am taking their word that the Car in Tow signs are required. Would rather be safe than sorry.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
we have had other cars pull along side the tow vehicle as they were getting on the highway, and try as they may to force the tow vehicle into another lane,
We use 2. Magnetic on the rear and suction cup on the passenger window.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nonno
Thank you for your post, you just made the DW very happy as she was starting to feel she was the only one who saw, the "Professional car drivers" that have no idea, that the vehicle behind the Motor Home has no driver behind the wheel.
I wanted to get a mannequin and put it in the driver seat as we tow the car down the road and give the 1 finger wave to the jecks. We decided that that could cause a accident so that idea got put on the back burner.