Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:05 PM   #15

Well - have towed a few different vehicles over the past few years. First one was a 1993 Honda Accord - towed very nicely and never once a problem. It was a 4 cyl automatic/

Next one was a 1995 Caravan. Same as Honda, towed wonderfully, only thing is I had to install the Remco pump but towed it over 25,000 miles with not one problem.

Next was the purchase of a new 2008 Malibu 4 cyl automatic. Same thing on this, had Blue Ox install the Base Plate and wiring and it was virtually impossible to tell it was back there. Towed it for 4 years.

Now I tow a 2007 Honda Odyssey.

Which one do I like the best????

1 - Love that Odyssey because once we get there we have plenty of room for everyone plus friends we go see.

2 - Really liked the Caravan - similar thing, plenty of room and it towed nicely.

3 - Malibu ---- like the Malibu except for the extreme cramped lifestyle it brought with it, along with the very limited vision when in the vehicle driving it - blind spots in that car. Plus - at 87,000 it begin to have transmission problems (don't think it was related to the towing) and the problem would not have been an issue ---- IF GM could fix it. Instead the company kept taking the transmission out and throwing parts into it because they didn't know what was wrong....... I traded it for the Odyssey

4 - Loved the Honda Accord, however it was long in tooth but soooo reliable and economical. Not one issue with that car.

On the issue of 4 wheel drive vehicles, I constantly see this on vehicles that nearly everyone has --- for what??? Some claim increased stability, traction, security and safety ----- however from personal experience I have to say that one of the most reliable, safest, stable and secure vehicle I every experienced was the Ford Crown Victoria ---- never had an issue taking it anywhere I wanted to go, rain - mud - snow - ice - and some of the worst conditions one can imagine....

I cannot say that the addition of 4 wheel drive to any vehicle benefits the average person, and sometimes will simply create a situation or make it worse.

I owned a 2001 Chevrolet Suburban for 9 years, it was 4 wheel drive, and in all that time I can count on one hand the number of times I actually engaged the 4 wheel option..... and a couple times was at the local garage I went to for oil change and had to drive it up onto front ramps and the floor was slick from snow tracked in - engage 4 x 4 and it climbed right up.

No thanks - all the extra machinery and costs is not for me - either a standard front wheel drive or rear wheel drive is all I need --- and I have lived most of my life in northern Iowa where we DO have bad weather.

Just my 2 cents worth.

God Bless

Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We started out with a Jeep Grand Cherokee (our favorite by far) but now have a Ford Explorer.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanvectra07 View Post
We are towing our 89 wrangler... First time this trip. I can say it will be the last, with cramped back seat, no a/c, and poor visibility with our add on half door windows. It was a cheap route to go, but husband agrees, we could do better.
they've come along way in the last 23yrs ....but with that said, unless you have kids, a large back seat isn't really a must for a tow-about (what are you guys doing in the back seat of a jeep anyway?? lol)

Wranglers nowadays come as loaded as you would like, including touchscreen navis and heated seats. You can even get them with an actual back seat too. My TJ/Wrangler was an 2dr Unlimited, so it had legroom.
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:37 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepisllib View Post

Now I tow a 2007 Honda Odyssey.

Which one do I like the best????

1 - Love that Odyssey because once we get there we have plenty of room for everyone plus friends we go see.
Of course the Ody isn't towable four down according to Honda so no powertrain warranty if something should fail. And yes, I know many people do tow them, I've talked to several owners and even done it with our '05 Ody. After the last time out I'm going back to dolly towing as I found lots of add'l rock chips and had to have the alignment redone.
Luckily my warranty is still intact under the settlement we signed with Honda re: four down towing. I just had a computer update done for the torque converter shuddering problem.
We have the '05 Ody EX-L and an '08 Civic EX-L, next one will probably be a CR-V EX-L AWD although I do like the Ody for comfort and space. The CR-V only gets 1 mpg better mileage than the Ody so that's not a consideration.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #19

Space consideration is sometimes a huge issue.

Last year we took our daughter, and her two girls (granddaughters) with us to Virginia because the oldest granddaughter was going to have a family member (uncle) take her graduation photos. He owns a studio out in Richmond - so off we go.

There were 5 of us in the motorhome, which was not a big issue, for that trip.

What I am getting at is the one we had to leave behind ------ grandson is 10 and he wanted to come along in the worst way and we wanted to take him.... But someone had to stay behind, so it was decided he would remain home with his dad and they would do the father son thing for the time we were gone.

Reason this happened -------------- Because the toad (08 Malibu) simply would not handle more then 5.

The Odyssey ---- no problem.

THAT - is the major reason why we now tow the Odyssey ----- and yes, I know the risks for towing it, but it seems like there are any number of people that have problems towing even the ones that are claimed to be towable.

God Bless

Bill
Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Howdy and welcome aboard and in answering your question a 05 pt Cruiser convertible 5 speed stick shift. Drop the top and enjoy. When it's dry of course.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your tow car will also be your principle vehicle:

For a lot of practical reasons it is hard to beat a Honda CR-V. Light @ 3500 lbs, economical, easy set up, easy tow. The CR-V is rated a best buy every year of production. has an outstanding "frequency of repair" rating, one of the highest resale values, roomy, silky smooth transmission and engine, plenty of bling if you want or more basic models.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #22

Cool My purchase an 18 ft trailer to tow a vehicle...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Hi Anita & Dave, welcome to the forum. What kind of Class A are you pulling with and what is its' tow capacity? How many people are going to be in it? Do you want to go off road or not? More info would be helpful.
Hi there. Hubby and I and our border collie in our 43 ft. tag axle monaco diamond. We are new full-timers. Love to fish and kayak, though we don't own kayaks yet. We are looking at an 18 ft. trailer to pull behind usas an option, to hold car and ???. Hubby is a farmer rancher and used to pulling long loads. Kind of curious about campsites and the trailer. We test drove a 4 door jeep, but it's just not quite like my Lexus RX 350...lol! Thanks again~
Old 08-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #23

p.s - Jeep Wrangler voted best 4x4 suv of the decade...and has more trophies than any other (combined)...just sayin. Honda CR-Vs are a nice, fuel efficient car-based suv though. Honda wins in fuel efficiency, but when both are in base-trim, Honda comes up exactly 100HP and 100ft lbs of torque short. Jeep has useful standard features like hill-assist, foglights and satellite radio that you won't find in CR-V. Jeep has a MUCH more comprehensive warranty, better resale (actually voted one of the best by KBB), and if you pick a Wrangler Unlimited, you get a lot more cargo capacity...despite what some say. Also, Wranglers are shorter in length. I guess I just don't like how people still think of how the Wrangler was 15+years ago, when in fact it has come a long way. We had just got a new Wrangler and the first thing my neighbor said was "I can't believe you insist on driving those old things". He has a CR-V and his wife a Highlander and actually had never driven a new Wrangler...he just assumed their were rough old pigs. typical lol

They're not Acura MDXs, or Lexus RX series, but they're also not $50k+. They're actually such a deal, you could buy 2!

no, im not a paid spokesperson :P

p.s - I had traded my lifted 4x4 truck for an 06 CR-V (was too good of a trade to pass, because my truck was an 01)...the CR-V was meh. Great for hauling kids around I suppose, but I'm not a soccer mom. I like cars with personality. Kept it all of 5 months
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar
p.s - Jeep Wrangler voted best 4x4 suv of the decade...and has more trophies than any other (combined)...just sayin. Honda CR-Vs are a nice, fuel efficient car-based suv though. Honda wins in fuel efficiency, but when both are in base-trim, Honda comes up exactly 100HP and 100ft lbs of torque short. Jeep has useful standard features like hill-assist, foglights and satellite radio that you won't find in CR-V. Jeep has a MUCH more comprehensive warranty, better resale (actually voted one of the best by KBB), and if you pick a Wrangler Unlimited, you get a lot more cargo capacity...despite what some say. Also, Wranglers are shorter in length. I guess I just don't like how people still think of how the Wrangler was 15+years ago, when in fact it has come a long way. We had just got a new Wrangler and the first thing my neighbor said was "I can't believe you insist on driving those old things". He has a CR-V and his wife a Highlander and actually had never driven a new Wrangler...he just assumed their were rough old pigs. typical lol

They're not Acura MDXs, or Lexus RX series, but they're also not $50k+. They're actually such a deal, you could buy 2!

no, im not a paid spokesperson :P

p.s - I had traded my lifted 4x4 truck for an 06 CR-V (was too good of a trade to pass, because my truck was an 01)...the CR-V was meh. Great for hauling kids around I suppose, but I'm not a soccer mom. I like cars with personality. Kept it all of 5 months
Jon Mopar really hit it right on the head about the Wranglers. There is just something about driving one that you don't get with anything else. We have had our '00 Wrangler for 9 years and have been all over the country in it both driving and as a toad. Sure you give up some space inthe two doors, but it is the one vehicle that makes other people wish they were having fun like you are.
HabitatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #25

TOAD

Been towing 2004 Honda CRV since new behind a 1996 32' Allegro Bus without any problems. Prep. for the 2004 CRV is to start the engine, run it through the gears (automatic trans), let it idle for 3 min. in neutral. Ignition key in run position (unlock steering wheel) parking brake off, gear selector in neutral and away you go. (All covered in the manual) Towing does not effect our mileage or handling one way or the other. Light weight--use to tow a Chev. S10 pickup, the Honda is a little lighter. Never had a problem with battery. Obviously, the towing package including electrical should be expertly done.

Alison transmission on the Allegro, always downshift on down grades to better braking effectiveness.

Check out the Honda CRVs be sure and read the specific owner's manual for the year you are thinking about.

Mactripster
Old 08-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We tow a 2005 Honda Pilot. A great vehicle. It seats 8 people. It now has 160,000 kilometers on it, plus another 30,000 tow miles. We took it in for a complete service, timing belt, oil change, transmission inspection and oil change, coolant flush and change, complete chassis and drive train inspection and service. It needed no repairs. The service people replaced the brake pads because they wouldn't give us another 100,000 km. The rotors were like new. I can't say anything other than buy a Honda Pilot.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Mopar

they've come along way in the last 23yrs ....but with that said, unless you have kids, a large back seat isn't really a must for a tow-about (what are you guys doing in the back seat of a jeep anyway?? lol)

Wranglers nowadays come as loaded as you would like, including touchscreen navis and heated seats. You can even get them with an actual back seat too. My TJ/Wrangler was an 2dr Unlimited, so it had legroom.
Actually we do have two kids....boys, ages 12 & 9. I know for a fact now, that having traveled through 2 national parks this week, driving this old-timer Jeep is definitely not fun. Especially with safari doors on. Covered in mud after today's trip into Glacier.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #28

^ luckily they make them with 4drs now... And even air conditioning lol. Me and 3 of my 6ft tall friends can ride in comfort...and go just about anywhere. The new wrangler 4dr is literally almost as smooth as my old cr-v was. Crv was lower to the groung mind you, so it handled more like a car, but wasn't any smoother.

My old TJ/wrangler had 200k on it when I sold it. Most money I ever spent was on tires...that's it.