Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Wrap the drivers seat belt around the bottom of the steering wheel and latch it.
That"s what we do when we rear tow cars at the shop. Slid the seat forward loop the belt around the wheel buckle it and slide the seat back done.

1997 Country Coach Intrigue Horizon 36' (The Dinosaur Burner)
92TNTRacing is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #16
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I really don't get so emotionally involved in steering locks. I think there are far worse decisions than rear engine cars and Model Ts. The Model T was pretty simple but practical for it's time. The Edsel? Pinto? Yugo? Vega?
Let me clarify, I dont think the Model T was bad, nor am I emotionally involved in steering locks. They are a poor engineering decision, and like every other mechanical part, they can fail. Except when they do fail, its generally spectacular in fashion.

Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Worst idea Porsche ever had placing the engine in the back of the car. You think they ever made any money with that set up?
Doesnt matter if they made money or not, Porsche has been trying to perfect that bad idea since Noah got off the ark.

Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
Have you tried Remco.com and get the real low down on it's towability (is that a word?) or not. Toyota said I could not tow my Tacoma, Remco said I could. Have worn out 4 sets of tires so far without any problems. FMCA, Trailer Life etc only regurgitate what the manufactuers tell them. Mostly liability reasons.

Don G.
Remco doesnt have anything on the Mazda.

Like most, I assume that the FWD is fine and the AWD is a definite no go. In shopping for a dolly, Ive seen a few (like the ACME and various others) that dont have a pivoting tray. Ive seen more (like the Mastertow, American etc) that do have a pivoting tray, and I know those are preferable to ones that dont pivot.

My biggest question is how much tension is required on the wheel. Based on various methods used to tie it off that Ive seen, it looks like not much.

Eh, maybe I should just pony up for the American Dolly and get it over with. Seems like the right features, especially the removable ramps and electric brakes for the right price.

2010 F150 King Ranch
2014 Forest River FR3
cucamelsmd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
My biggest question is how much tension is required on the wheel. Based on various methods used to tie it off that Ive seen, it looks like not much.
If you put too much tension on the steering wheel, it can be bent. It's more important that it stay relatively immobile and returns to straight ahead. You should always use safety chains or cables in addition to the nylon straps that go over the wheel. In my experience they ALWAYS stretch, and after a few miles and turns need to be re-tightened. If you don't, the car can slip off the dolly. That's why I tow 4 down. Once I'm sure the tow bar arms have locked, it's as worry free as a tow can be. Driving up on the dolly, crawling under toad and fastening chains and nylon straps, then stopping every 50 miles or so to tighten nylon straps doesn't seem worth it. I can unhook and be off in my Beetle in under 2 minutes, and hook up takes the same. No horsing around hundreds of pounds of dolly, hooking it up, mounting car, hooking it up, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just bought our second dolly, a Demco. I found it on sale for under $2300.00 on line and it was drop shipped to my home in the country in under five days. It has disc brakes, LED lights, ect. We had just let our old Demco go when we sold our last MH.

The tow dolly lets me drive the vehicle I want and not one dictated by its design faults. We tow a VW Passat Diesel. Love that car.

After twenty miles I always stop and tighten the straps. Sometimes they need it, often they do not. There are also safety chains in case the straps get too loose.

I have helped folks hook up tow bars and set up brake buddies and I can load and strap down the car quicker than that. Unloading is even quicker. The only dis advantage is laying down under the front end to fasten the safety chains.

Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote