Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

Car steering wheel tiedown

Getting a new car and will use it with my Tandem Tow trailer - back end is car dolly. FWD so that's not an issue but the CX5 does not have a steering wheel lock. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a car without steering wheel lock and used it on a car dolly.
How have you secured the steering wheel, any special techniques, or just wrap something around the bottom of the wheel and hook to the bottom of the seat or brake pedal??
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I towed an old pickup w/o steering lock for a few miles on a dolly several years ago. It worked ok, but the pickup did turn enough on the dolly to allow the bumper to contact the dolly fenders and do a little paint transfer. If doing it again, I would do as I have seen tow truck drivers do and put a strong strap tightly between bottom of steering wheel and something solid -- probably the brake pedal. Then do some tight slow test turns and stop and look how close things get between the car and dolly so you will have an idea of what to beware of down the road.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just for the sake of discussion...why is locking the steering important?

If you have a swivel pan or steering axle, then the dolly will pivot to make the turns. If the toad's wheels turn, it will straighten out after the turn.

If you don't have a swivel pan or steering axle on the dolly, then the steering of the toad should do the pivoting during turns, so the toad's wheels need to swing.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:34 AM   #4

Long ago and far away we used a tow dolly and I used one of the rubber eyelet bunge cords one wrap around the bottom of steering wheel and both hooks down to the front corners of the front seat. It helped keep the car wheels streight and let the dolly axle do its thing. No fender touching the dolly wheels.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
If the front wheels of the car on the dolly turn side-to-side much at all it is possible for the car body to contact the dolly body. Obviously how likely that is depends on the specific dolly and specific vehicle involved. My pickup was pretty tight on the dolly. We also towed a Maxima that had more room, but did have a surprising amount of side swing movement when turning. If the front wheels had been allowed to turn we could have easily damaged it. A swivel bed on the dolly does take some of the stress (on tie-down straps and towed car steering components) out of turning, but it too is very limited as to how much it can pivot.

As for using bungees or tarp straps to tie the steering, that does help keep the towed car wheels pointed straight ahead. Some use them when towing 4-down.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #6

Mind if I bring this back from the dead? I noticed the OP also has a CX5, which is what Im looking to dolly behind my motorhome.

What did you find OP?

FWIW, Mazda does not recommend towing the CX5 at all, dolly or not. Im not sure why they dont specify between the FWD and AWD transaxles, nor the 6MT or 6AT, but their response to recreational towing is a flat "no".
Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
It is probably a liability or warranty issue. I'd think a front wheel drive would be fine on a dolly, but NOT an all wheel drive.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #8

Wrap the drivers seat belt around the bottom of the steering wheel and latch it.
I thought all cars had to have a steering lock ?
Old 10-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
It is probably a liability or warranty issue. I'd think a front wheel drive would be fine on a dolly, but NOT an all wheel drive.
Concur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompen View Post
Wrap the drivers seat belt around the bottom of the steering wheel and latch it.
I thought all cars had to have a steering lock ?
Nope. Lots of new cars, especially those with keyless ignitions don't. They are (literally) one of the worst engineering decisions made in the general realm of cars since Henry T Ford designed the Model T and Porsche put motors in the back.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post

Nope. Lots of new cars, especially those with keyless ignitions don't. They are (literally) one of the worst engineering decisions made in the general realm of cars since Henry T Ford designed the Model T and Porsche put motors in the back.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post
Concur.

I really don't get so emotionally involved in steering locks. I think there are far worse decisions than rear engine cars and Model Ts. The Model T was pretty simple but practical for it's time. The Edsel? Pinto? Yugo? Vega?

Bob & Donna
Old 10-21-2013, 08:27 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Worst idea Porsche ever had placing the engine in the back of the car. You think they ever made any money with that set up?
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried Remco.com and get the real low down on it's towability (is that a word?) or not. Toyota said I could not tow my Tacoma, Remco said I could. Have worn out 4 sets of tires so far without any problems. FMCA, Trailer Life etc only regurgitate what the manufactuers tell them. Mostly liability reasons.

Don G.
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzzy View Post
Worst idea Porsche ever had placing the engine in the back of the car. You think they ever made any money with that set up?
Nah, volkswagens never made any money on them, neither did any of the makers of diesel pusher buses and RV's!

Bob & Donna

Tags
steering