Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,630
Acme tow dolly, utter simplicity, strap it down and go. No concern about vehicle damage, no brake hook-ups, just go.
__________________

__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #16
Member
 
bruce Dixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 67
Chawkins99
what size tires are on your Impala 2012 I have 17" tires on mine and roadmaster says I can tow a 17" or larger tire because the tires do not fit properly in the dolly pans.
What are you doing to make yours fit?
GRRRRR on camping world.
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
No major problems. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to get the car centered on the ramps. The dolly has a swivel deck which removes the need to leave the steering unlocked. If not centered, there is a possibilty of the wheels/fenders hitting the car during tight turns. Always made sure it was centered and never had that problem.
The front spoiler on my Impala clears the dolly deck by less than an inch.
After an early trip, I noticed some chafing on one of the straps. After that was careful of the strap positions to prevent chafing.
Some people have had problems with straps coming loose and have heard horror stories of people losing the straps completely. I never had that.
First few trips I made a point of stopping to check the straps after a few miles. Never had one even slightly loose. After that, got more complacent and just check them whenever I stopped. I have never had loose straps.
One other problem with a dolly (probably any dolly) is in wet/damp conditions, the wheels slip and spin while trying to get over the top of the deck. This means having to take a run up which can get hairy...
__________________

__________________
Bruce , Donna Dixon MSgt. USAF Ret.
Hillsboro, Or.
Itasca Horizon 39QD
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #17
Just south of Twin Cities
 
Cooperhawk's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: 5 miles south of Lakeville, Mn
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
Hmmm
Cooperhawk I called a distributor of Demco here in Portland Or. today and they told me Demco Dollies are illegal to use in Canada.
I think they mean the ones without brakes. We have towed ours into Canada many many times with no problems. If they are I would think they would stop you at the border.
__________________
Retired FAA ATC,
VFW AL, VVA, NRA
2002 Journey DL 36, 3126 Cat 330hp
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 10
Isn't it illegal to use a tow dolly without having operating lights on the rear of the vehicle?
Most states have a hang over length law that requires lights to be stationed on the rear of a towed vehicle and tow Dolly's lights are
About 10 to 12 feet in front of the rear of the towed vehicle.
Is there solutions to this?
__________________
fltrker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltrker View Post
Isn't it illegal to use a tow dolly without having operating lights on the rear of the vehicle?
Most states have a hang over length law that requires lights to be stationed on the rear of a towed vehicle and tow Dolly's lights are
About 10 to 12 feet in front of the rear of the towed vehicle.
Is there solutions to this?
Many states have the exact law mentioned above...usually only for marker lights. So, if there is worry that a citation is waiting for dolly users that only rely on the dolly lights - then an extra set of lights would be the fix.

In a different thread on the subject, one user here (reportedly a retired local LEO) wrote that he would cite any dolly user he could that was in violation if this type rule...trying to make a point, probably - and that user reportedly flat towed

So, how to do it...a splitter on the wires from the RV would provide a simple connection (splitters can be made or purchased for about $15), then a set of magnetic mount lights placed on the trunk, or a set that hang on a strap hooked inside the trunk lid, or a set mounted to a bar inside the back window or on the roof or roof rack, or....anything you dream up.

Personally, I don't worry about it. There are thousands of dolly users on the road everyday (including all those rentals) that don't have add'l lighting. The lights on my dolly are very bright and illuminate the whole side of my dingy car. I just hope I don't run into a cop that is having a bad day, is against his ticket quota, and flat tows with his RV

Safe travels
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltrker View Post
Isn't it illegal to use a tow dolly without having operating lights on the rear of the vehicle?
Most states have a hang over length law that requires lights to be stationed on the rear of a towed vehicle and tow Dolly's lights are
About 10 to 12 feet in front of the rear of the towed vehicle.
Is there solutions to this?
I decided I would feel more warm and fuzzy if I had lights at the rear, I also wanted a hitch on the car to move the dolly around if I had a situation that called for it.
So I killed 2 birds with one stone, added the hitch and made a simple light bar mounted on the coupler ball. I added a separate wiring harness to the dolly that has excess wire to throw inside the car, close the door on it, and out the rear hatch to plug into the light bar. When I unload the car I toss the hitch/light bar in the coach basement.
So now I am warm and fuzzy.................or is it the Vodka.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	50602  
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,998
It just occured to me this whole idea is solved very simply...

If towing your dingy on a dolly after dark, why not just turn on the car's parking lights?

Sure, it will drain the dingy's battery...but really, how long are you gonna drive into the dark?

So, you can add add'l lights, the 4 wires harness needed and such. Or, turn on the cars lights...and add a hot lead to the wire harness to charge the dingy if desired.

Easy Peasy
__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
chawkins99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calera, AL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
Chawkins99
what size tires are on your Impala 2012 I have 17" tires on mine and roadmaster says I can tow a 17" or larger tire because the tires do not fit properly in the dolly pans.
What are you doing to make yours fit?
GRRRRR on camping world.
Bruce
Bruce, my Impala has 18" rims. Tires are 235/50/18.

No problem yet. I originally bought the dolly when I had a Dodge Caliber but don't recall what wheels that had.
__________________
Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Brockx's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Punta Gorda FL.
Posts: 2,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
Bruce, my Impala has 18" rims. Tires are 235/50/18.

No problem yet. I originally bought the dolly when I had a Dodge Caliber but don't recall what wheels that had.

Rim size does not really need make a big difference on tire height or diameter. The newer larger rims use lower profile rubber. Check this tool for determining a tire size with a different rim size. 235/65/15 was a common size a few years ago against your 235/50/18, you will be surprised.

235/50-R18 vs 235/65-R15 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator
__________________
2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:57 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
spritz's Avatar


 
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: c above
Posts: 4,947
Demco, KarKatty SS. Sorry surge breaks but I like them. Toad is a 99 cad deville concours. yes be sure to center it. Has all the bells and whistles. Thinking of selling it.

__________________
1982 Pace Arrow 30ft.
KarKaddy SS, Toad: 1999 Deville Concours
Lilly and Rubie Our 4 legged Kids & Tim & Joe
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #25
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: windsor colorado
Posts: 4
tow dolly

if you want a tow dolly there some things to look for. i have a landgrebe it is made in valpariso ind. mine has surge disc brakes and the wheels turn inside of the fenders so you do not have to worry about making a sharp turn and running the fenders into the towed vehicle. the portable brake lights plug into an outlet on the dolly. you can move a pin to a different location and back it up. there is a solenoid on the surge control that can be energized to divert the hydraulics to do this if needed. if you go to the website towtrailer.com there are models and prices. this dolly is very well made and well thought out. mine is a 2013 and used once. i'am to old to move it around by myself anymore. it is for sale on craigslist denver colorado. if interested my email is richmain@q.com. have a great thanksgiving and good luck on whatever purchase you make. richard
__________________
richmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
chawkins99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Calera, AL
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
Rim size does not really need make a big difference on tire height or diameter. The newer larger rims use lower profile rubber. Check this tool for determining a tire size with a different rim size. 235/65/15 was a common size a few years ago against your 235/50/18, you will be surprised.

235/50-R18 vs 235/65-R15 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator
My reply was in response to Bruce Dixon. My Impala does have low profile tires.
In reality, the limiting factor on what size tires can be used with a tow dolly is the size of the tie-down straps. The straps that came with my Roadmaster dolly work well on my Impala with plenty of spare strap to use on the tie-down ratchet. I've never experienced a strap working loose.
Roadmaster's web site and owners manual makes no mention of a max wheel or tire size. It does mention a max weight of towed vehicle at 4250lbs. It states that the supplied tie-down straps are "suitable for 12-16" tires" which is misleading as you pointed out above.
I have use my dolly with a Dodge Caliber, Dodge Avenger (rental), Ford Escape and my current Impala. Never had any problems apart from the Avenger front spoiler 'almost' hitting the dolly bed.
__________________
Chris, Jo & Dell (Siberian Husky - 110lb of fur and muscle)
2003 Beaver Santiam 40DST - Cummins 330ISC
Closely followed by a 2012 Equinox AWD
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #27
Member
 
bruce Dixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Hillsboro, Or
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
My reply was in response to Bruce Dixon. My Impala does have low profile tires.
In reality, the limiting factor on what size tires can be used with a tow dolly is the size of the tie-down straps. The straps that came with my Roadmaster dolly work well on my Impala with plenty of spare strap to use on the tie-down ratchet. I've never experienced a strap working loose.
Roadmaster's web site and owners manual makes no mention of a max wheel or tire size. It does mention a max weight of towed vehicle at 4250lbs. It states that the supplied tie-down straps are "suitable for 12-16" tires" which is misleading as you pointed out above.
I have use my dolly with a Dodge Caliber, Dodge Avenger (rental), Ford Escape and my current Impala. Never had any problems apart from the Avenger front spoiler 'almost' hitting the dolly bed.
The reason I asked about tire size is if you go to roadmaster web site the state the dolly is for 17" max tires, So I called road master here in Portland and talked to their tech people and was told tires bigger than 17 will not fit properly into the bottom of the dolly so there is a liability issue for them if they tell you that you can use larger tires and their adjustable strap is only set up for max of 17" And being as I bought my dolly from camping world the other day and their advertisement never stated a max size tire, I wanted to know if others were using the same dolly with the same car (impala)and tires and if they had any issues. I'm well aware that width and height of tire also changes the total diameter of the tire.
I have called 2 different dolly Manf. demco and roadmaster on their products. One has told me (demco) their dolly with Disk brakes is not legal for use in Canada.
and road master has told me is I have over 17" tires then not to use their dolly.
I'm now stuck with a brand new Roadmaster dolly that I have doubts about.
I'm new to owning a Motor home and towing a car.
__________________
Bruce , Donna Dixon MSgt. USAF Ret.
Hillsboro, Or.
Itasca Horizon 39QD
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #28
Community Moderator
 
Scarab0088's Avatar


 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 13,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
The reason I asked about tire size is if you go to roadmaster web site the state the dolly is for 17" max tires, So I called road master here in Portland and talked to their tech people and was told tires bigger than 17 will not fit properly into the bottom of the dolly so there is a liability issue for them if they tell you that you can use larger tires and their adjustable strap is only set up for max of 17" And being as I bought my dolly from camping world the other day and their advertisement never stated a max size tire, I wanted to know if others were using the same dolly with the same car (impala)and tires and if they had any issues. I'm well aware that width and height of tire also changes the total diameter of the tire.
I have called 2 different dolly Manf. demco and roadmaster on their products. One has told me (demco) their dolly with Disk brakes is not legal for use in Canada.
and road master has told me is I have over 17" tires then not to use their dolly.
I'm now stuck with a brand new Roadmaster dolly that I have doubts about.
I'm new to owning a Motor home and towing a car.
Sorry for you troubles...but before you throw away the dolly, why not check the actual tire height that fits the dolly. Often, new tires on big rims have the same actual height as tires on 15" wheels. Don't confuse rim size with overall tire profile...I bet it will work fine.

About Canada...Acme's EZE-Tow has disc surge brakes and is Canada legal and says this on their website: "Canada is more restrictive than California. Our dolly is legal nationwide and Canada. To be so a dolly must have working brakes and for import or export to Canada the Federal Compliance decal must be printed in English and French. Lead wheel weights are illegal in 9 states, soon to be nationwide, but are allowed in Canada at this time, possibly to change in a few years. We are a registered manufacturer and exporter with the RIV office in Canada. 40% of our sales are in Canada."
FAQs | Car Tow Dolly

I wonder if the issue is about the sticker being written in French(?).

But the OP is in OR...so OR rules apply, right? The OP is not seeking registration in Canada, right? The RV might not be Canadian (RVDA) compliant, but you can still visit there, right? Might be worth a call to Canadian Authorities.

Best luck
__________________

__________________
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.