Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
The reason I asked about tire size is if you go to roadmaster web site the state the dolly is for 17" max tires, So I called road master here in Portland and talked to their tech people and was told tires bigger than 17 will not fit properly into the bottom of the dolly so there is a liability issue for them if they tell you that you can use larger tires and their adjustable strap is only set up for max of 17" And being as I bought my dolly from camping world the other day and their advertisement never stated a max size tire, I wanted to know if others were using the same dolly with the same car (impala)and tires and if they had any issues. I'm well aware that width and height of tire also changes the total diameter of the tire.
I have called 2 different dolly Manf. demco and roadmaster on their products. One has told me (demco) their dolly with Disk brakes is not legal for use in Canada.
and road master has told me is I have over 17" tires then not to use their dolly.
I'm now stuck with a brand new Roadmaster dolly that I have doubts about.
I'm new to owning a Motor home and towing a car.
Bruce, the emphasis on tire size is just misleading. A 17-inch TIRE is the type you would find on a ride-on mower.

Check Brockx' link above. My low profile tires on 18" rims are almost exact size (diameter and circumference) as a regular tire on 15" rims.
As I said, I have had NO problems with my Impala on the tow dolly.

I suggest you try it out:
  • Load the car on the dolly
  • Ensure the wheels are securely seated in the dolly pan
  • Install the tie-down straps, ensuring they are centered on the tire both around the wheel and side-to-side also checking they are not contacting any part of the suspension (which may cause chafing)
  • Ratchet the straps down as tight as you can and ensure the ratchets are in the 'locked' position
  • Attach safety chains from the car to the dolly. I ran the chains through the front crossmember. In through the open end and out through the slot about 6 inches in from the end.
  • Take it for a 10-15 mile run. Stop after the first couple of miles to ensure they ratchets are still tight.
After you have taken it on 2-3 outings, you'll get more comfortable with it.

I have just bought an Equinox so I can flat-tow. Not because of problems with the dolly but for simplicity of hooking up. I got tired of crawling under the car to hook everything up.

There are arguments for both dolly and flat-tow.

chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The reason I asked about tire size is if you go to roadmaster web site the state the dolly is for 17" max tires, So I called road master here in Portland and talked to their tech people and was told tires bigger than 17 will not fit properly into the bottom of the dolly so there is a liability issue for them if they tell you that you can use larger tires and their adjustable strap is only set up for max of 17" And being as I bought my dolly from camping world the other day and their advertisement never stated a max size tire, I wanted to know if others were using the same dolly with the same car (impala)and tires and if they had any issues. I'm well aware that width and height of tire also changes the total diameter of the tire.
I have called 2 different dolly Manf. demco and roadmaster on their products. One has told me (demco) their dolly with Disk brakes is not legal for use in Canada.
and road master has told me is I have over 17" tires then not to use their dolly.
I'm now stuck with a brand new Roadmaster dolly that I have doubts about.
I'm new to owning a Motor home and towing a car.

I suggest you call the dolly manufacturer and ask the "what is the largest tire I can have on my towed vehicle". When you have that info go to the post #23 in this thread open the link in that thread and put in the info they gave you and your tire size. I just can't believe there is a problem, let us know please.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 PM   #31

Demco Dollies are illegal to use in Canada??

Quote:
Hmmm
Cooperhawk I called a distributor of Demco here in Portland Or. today and they told me Demco Dollies are illegal to use in Canada.
Towing Laws | BrakeBuddy - Braking systems for motorhomes towing a vehicle

Chris