Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #1

Post Car Tow dollies

I'm looking into buying a Tow dolly to tow a 2008 Impala. 4000 Pounds
Would like to know what to look for, what problems people have with them.
I have heard of tire wear on the dolly and tires only lasting 5000-7000 miles.
I'm looking into the roadmaster with electric drum brake? Not interested in Surge brakes.
What other brands are out there.
what made you pick the dolly you bought.
I know a lot of you bought 4 wheel down but I just don't want that wear and tear on my cars front end drive train.
Thank you
Bruce

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Here is some threads to look and read through http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5307797 until you get some answers to your questions Bruce.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 AM   #3

Palehorse I can't seem to get the link to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Here is some threads to look and read through http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=5307797 until you get some answers to your questions Bruce.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 AM   #4

We have a Master Tow Dolly with surge brakes that we tow a 2010 Accord. We have 4,700 miles on the dolly in tow and I don't see any sign of tire wear. The first time I loaded the Accord, it took almost a hour to fit and tighten the tow straps. Now, I can load and be ready to drive away in less than 10 minutes.
At home, I use a small airless wheeled trailer dolly (from Northern Tool) to maneuver and park the Master Tow in my back yard. I have done it by hand but the trailer dolly makes it so much easier.
At campsites, a pull through, leave it hooked up, at back in sites, I roll it to the rear of the site and then back in the RV.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #5

I have the Roadmaster 3477 (non-steering) dolly. Have used it without issue for about 18 months. Towed maybe 6,000 miles.
Originally had a Dodge Caliber, now have a 2012 Impala. When my Caliber was totalled, I had a Dodge Avenger as a rental.
The Avenger was a challenge as the front hit the dolly while loading. solved that by putting a couple of bricks in front of the ramps while loading.
Have just bought an Equinox so we can flat-tow. just don't like crawling on the floor to attach chains, straps etc. Also want some of my garage back.
I bought the Roadmaster from Camping World as they are just down the road. Cost was $1,750 incl assembly.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #6

I have the Master Tow Dolly. Had Bias Ply tires.
My tread wear would think they were under inflated, wore badly on the inside and outside. Always had the recommended 50 PSI.
Also talked to another owner with similar wear, he also had the recommended 50 PSI.
I put radials on, the same size and ratings and after 8000 miles the wear looks much better.
Ready to set off on another 6000 mile adventure..

Here is the link to unusual dolly tire wear...
Tow Dolly uneven tire wear.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we had ours it was the KarKaddy SS by Demco. Reasons? Galvanized frame, "surge" brakes, LED lights, articular steering and the tongue folded when in storage to make for a very small footprint. Never saw any wear on our tires and when we sold it, it had over 8K miles on it. As a matter of fact they still looked brand new. If I ever would go back to dolly towing that would be my first choice. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just sold our old Demco Tow Dolly with our old MH and needed a new one. Checked around at a lot of different brands and decided to stay with Demco. Bought a KarKaddy III from PPL Motorhomes in texas. Great price and dropped shipped to my home. I had to put the fenders and tongue on, but no problem.

It has surge brakes and disc brakes. I think they also come with electric brakes. LED lights as well.

The Kar Kaddy 3
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
papaw.1

Master Tow tow dolly for me.Has probably 8000 miles and tires look like new also has elect.brakes.
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #10

Chawkins Do you have Any problems/issues towing the Impala such as ramp clearing the impala on turns?
Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I have the Roadmaster 3477 (non-steering) dolly. Have used it without issue for about 18 months. Towed maybe 6,000 miles.
Originally had a Dodge Caliber, now have a 2012 Impala. When my Caliber was totalled, I had a Dodge Avenger as a rental.
The Avenger was a challenge as the front hit the dolly while loading. solved that by putting a couple of bricks in front of the ramps while loading.
Have just bought an Equinox so we can flat-tow. just don't like crawling on the floor to attach chains, straps etc. Also want some of my garage back.
I bought the Roadmaster from Camping World as they are just down the road. Cost was $1,750 incl assembly.
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:23 PM   #11

Hmmm
Cooperhawk I called a distributor of Demco here in Portland Or. today and they told me Demco Dollies are illegal to use in Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We just sold our old Demco Tow Dolly with our old MH and needed a new one. Checked around at a lot of different brands and decided to stay with Demco. Bought a KarKaddy III from PPL Motorhomes in texas. Great price and dropped shipped to my home. I had to put the fenders and tongue on, but no problem.

It has surge brakes and disc brakes. I think they also come with electric brakes. LED lights as well.

The Kar Kaddy 3
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mastertow:
MASTER TOW INC. :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: :

Stehl:
Home

Landgrebe:
Landgrebe Manufacturing: Products

And the if I didn't have an Acme EZE-Tow, I would have a Demco Kar Kaddy SS (built like a tank):
Tow Dollies | Demco Products

Then there are dolly's from resellers like Northern Tool, Amazon, and ebay.

BUT...why no interest in surge brakes? I have an electric brake control in my RV and pick-up, but MUCH prefer the simplicity and ease of use with the surge brakes. Have Disc surge brakes on my dolly and boat trailer - easy to use, easy to clean, easy to maintain.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
Chawkins Do you have Any problems/issues towing the Impala such as ramp clearing the impala on turns?
Bruce
No major problems. It sometimes takes 2 or 3 tries to get the car centered on the ramps. The dolly has a swivel deck which removes the need to leave the steering unlocked. If not centered, there is a possibilty of the wheels/fenders hitting the car during tight turns. Always made sure it was centered and never had that problem.
The front spoiler on my Impala clears the dolly deck by less than an inch.
After an early trip, I noticed some chafing on one of the straps. After that was careful of the strap positions to prevent chafing.
Some people have had problems with straps coming loose and have heard horror stories of people losing the straps completely. I never had that.
First few trips I made a point of stopping to check the straps after a few miles. Never had one even slightly loose. After that, got more complacent and just check them whenever I stopped. I have never had loose straps.
One other problem with a dolly (probably any dolly) is in wet/damp conditions, the wheels slip and spin while trying to get over the top of the deck. This means having to take a run up which can get hairy...
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
Palehorse I can't seem to get the link to work
I can click on it and open it????? Looks like you are getting some answers/.....