Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:58 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Car Trailer Towing

With the way my better half changes cars I thought it would be better just to buy a trailer and haul the car/motorcycles in it. We've got a 40ft DutchStar and a 24ft trailer, anyone have any words of wisdom to pass before our first big trip? I used to be a truck driver, and used to pull a fiver, so I'm pretty sure backing and turning won't be an issue.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #2

We did/do the same. When we would go to a car show having a place to park the rig with the trailer is usually not a problem. However......you might be limiting yourself as to which campgrounds you can go to. Some just don't have the room to park a 40 footer and a trailer and the car at the campsite. You will have to unload the trailer, then park the trailer somewhere and then park in your camping spot. I would usually call ahead to the campground and ask if they had big enough camp spaces or a place I could park the trailer after I unloaded it.
Greg

mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 AM   #3

Size is indeed a consideration. We pull a 24 footer with our Ventana 39, 330 ISC. Rig has adequate power and electric brakes on the WellsCargo work fine. Took a bit of fiddleing with spring bars and sway control to keep the ride hight of the coach inline. We stuff the trailer with a Jeep Wrangler, mtn bikes, roll out barbie and all the things that don't quite fit in the bays of the MH. Turning around has been a big issue, 40 feet of "tractor" and 24 feet of "trailer" doesn't handle like 18 wheels. LMAO Best thing I did was make sure I have a 2 5/16 ball mount for the jeep. I wouldn't advise towing the car hauler any distance with the Jeep but it sure makes spotting the trailer easy. I would advise double checking the tie downs in the trailer. Ours came with 4 floor rings that were screwed thru the plywood floor, they did have backing plates. I wound up welding in 2 extra crossmenbers to bolt the tie downs to. Next step is to upgrade to a 24 V none, with a 18" raised roof for an extra $1800. That way I can pull the lifted Jeep in with the hardtop on and hang the top frim the trailer rafters when it's topless time. Of course painted to match the coach would be nice. Who sayes the Newell boys have all the fun.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
teamwally - I never thought about if I would need sway bars or not, now I'll have something else to think about I just got the trailer last weekend (had it built and picked up in GA), I made sure the D-rings were welded in and were rated at 5,000 lbs. For the first trip were going to put the Harleys in there so I've had to add 4 extra rings for the bikes, and I did exactly what you said put 3/8" steel backing plates. I know that there not going anywhere.
NHSO
harleychief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleychief View Post
With the way my better half changes cars I thought it would be better just to buy a trailer and haul the car/motorcycles in it. We've got a 40ft DutchStar and a 24ft trailer, anyone have any words of wisdom to pass before our first big trip? I used to be a truck driver, and used to pull a fiver, so I'm pretty sure backing and turning won't be an issue.
Yep, stay out of states that have a maximum length less than 65'! And I hope the trailer has brakes too!
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing