Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2018, 11:01 AM   #1

Car trailer towing

Anyone tow a car trailer (U-Haul) behind a Winnebago Navion? I have to get our 3500# Subaru Outback from OK City to Minneapolis. No mountains. Can’t tow the RU with any wheels on the ground, so have to put it on 4 wheel u-haul. Total weight about 5000# tongue about 300#. Can it be done safely?
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2018, 11:34 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Mountains aren't the issue. What does the Vehicle Certification Label say next to the driver's position? What class hitch does the RV have? I suspect you're asking because you're overweight in one or more area. Also, a 5000 lb trailer should have a 10-15% tongue weight, not 300 lbs as you suggest.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:42 AM   #3

Judging from the GCWR of the Navion I just looked up I have to say NO. Gross weight is 11Klb + and gross combined is 15K. you will be way overloaded pulling 5K if you took nothing with you and only kept the fuel tank at half full.
Seeing the numbers posted on their spec sheet my guess is that there is not a hitch available that would be able to handle the weight you require either.
Matt
mattchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #4

Thanks guys! Just what I suspected and you had the answers I needed. I will hire a car hauler to move my car home. Thanks again
Old 03-11-2018, 03:55 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pine tree View Post
Thanks guys! Just what I suspected and you had the answers I needed. I will hire a car hauler to move my car home. Thanks again
Why not have someone drive the Subaru back and stay with you in the RV? Probably cheaper than shipping the car.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #6

Drive the car home

Hi BFlin. In reply to your suggestion to have someone drive the Subaru while I drive our new Navion. Well, it’s real simple. DW is only available extra driver. We have been married for 62 years and like to hold hands as we drive down the road. Just joking around about holding hands, but we do like to ride in the same vehicle. It’s worth the $800.00 car shipping cost to sit next to my wonderful wife as we motor along.

Tags
tow, towing, trailer