Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

I pull an 18' enclosed dual axel cargo trailer behind my MH and have a concern with the ride height. The tongue sits considerably higher (2-4")than the rear of the trailer and this results on the rear axel bearing the load. I am at my lowest ball height on my equalizer hitch and don't want to go lower there because it already hits ground on parking lot inclines.

My thought is to change the axels on the trailer by putting them under the leaf spring, as opposed to on top of the leaf spring. This will raise the trailer frame 4" and allow for a level haul.

So, has anyone here done this and regretted it? Is there an impact on the towability that I should be aware of? Are there any other suggestions of how to get the trail level with the hitch?

Thanks for you insight.
'19 Newmar Canyon Star 3911 F53 #26K
'17 Lincoln MKZ towed by BlueOx
GLWilliams58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hello,

I pull an 18' enclosed dual axel cargo trailer behind my MH and have a concern with the ride height. The tongue sits considerably higher (2-4")than the rear of the trailer and this results on the rear axel bearing the load. I am at my lowest ball height on my equalizer hitch and don't want to go lower there because it already hits ground on parking lot inclines.

My thought is to change the axels on the trailer by putting them under the leaf spring, as opposed to on top of the leaf spring. This will raise the trailer frame 4" and allow for a level haul.

So, has anyone here done this and regretted it? Is there an impact on the towability that I should be aware of? Are there any other suggestions of how to get the trail level with the hitch?

Thanks for you insight.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:35 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a photo of how it sits now. You can see that the tail end is pretty low and the rear axel bears the weight.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:17 AM   #4

GW,

I know many people who have done just that with Travel Trailers and 5th wheels. It shouldn't be a big problem. However, It will raise your Center of Gravity. This could offset your handling from a wind profile and stability issue.

I did flip our very first trailer (24 ft bunkhouse) and the difference was prey negligible, but in high winds, you could certainly tell.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:06 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Moder2.

It seems like a simple process to go from over the springs to under the springs. It requires the welding of 4 pads where the springs will connect to the top side of the axels. Otherwise, I don't see anything difficult about it...but don't want to over look anything before I start. Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #6

I had to lengthen my electric brake wires, but that wasn't a big deal. I also had to relocate my shock mounts. I could have gotten longer shocks but moving the mounts made more sense at the time since I didn't care for the angles they were on...

Once you have it all back together I would double check the wheel alignment. Make sure the distance between the axles is the same on both sides, and both axles sit under the trailer the same distance on both sides. I would recommend you replace the U-Bolts. Not always a great idea to reuse them because they do stretch.

Just be careful on how you jack the trailer up, use good jacks, and solid supports. 4 months ago I saw someone die working on a car in a campground with no jack stands and the jack collapsed... Not to mention the damage you can cause to the trailer itself.

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #7

I tow a 20' cargo trailer and use an adjustable
hitch...you probably just have to drop the height
of the hitch ball to level trailer.

2000 JIMMY 4X4 (toad)
Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The only drawback is that you raise the center of gravity of the trailer by whatever amount the axle flip gains for you in height. Depending on where the center of gravity now is, that may or may not have any noticeable effect. I suspect it will not unless the CG is already quite high (a lot of weight carried high inside).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I put the axels under the spring and here is what it looks like. It is considerably higher (4 inches) and the trailer rides level and both axels share the weight of the trailer. This photo is with an empty trailer and rig, so the ride height will be a little lower with 2000# of bikes and gear in the box.

I would like to lower the fenders, but that is not in the plan due to the way they cut out the wheel well, so it looks a little strange to me for now.