Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:47 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Swagman two bike carrier. It goes into the hitch receiver. To use the bike carrier and still be able to have a receiver you need a double hitch receiver that goes into your present receiver. See them here:
Roadmaster Dual Hitch Receiver Adapter, 4" Drop/Rise Roadmaster Tow Bars RM-077-4

The great thing about the Swagman carrier is that it is so easy to use and it holds the bike securely with no wobbling.
Happy Trails, Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Please for give a small sidetrack from a newby but has anyone any experience with the Pedego electric bike? I am seriously considering buying one..These unit were displayed at the Tampa supershow.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:12 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
You would be much better off going to a local bike shop that has a good rep and has been around for years. We bought an R Martin electric Bike, for my wife, over the Internet. It was supposedly hundreds off on a winter sale. It cost $1100 with free shipping. We had trouble right out of the box. It was broken. We took it to a bike shop to get it fixed properly. The bike shop owner looked at the bike and pointed out all kinds of cheap and problem prone parts on the bike besides what was broken. He didn't know how much we paid, but said, " I hope that you didn't pay over $600." He added that it is a very low end department store bike that someone threw a motor on, that was sent to the US distributor from China and then the distributor that we dealt with just changed the shipping labels and sent it to us. The manual said that if something was wrong we had to call China with the phone number they gave!

The bike shop owner called R Martin to ask about some broken wiring that we needed fixed and they couldn't help because they don't know bikes. At first we had trouble with the bike company until we said we could file a credit card dispute. That changed things. If we box the bike, they will have their shipper pick it up and refund our money. Even with not knowing anything about bikes, I thought that the wiring and a few other things looked pretty crummy right out of the box. We paid too much for a cheap broken bike. We learned a lesson.

I looked at the price on the Pedego Tommy Bahama bike and almost fell off the chair! We buy a lot of things over the Internet and have had no trouble, but our advice is an electric bike is not something to buy from an Internet company. Talk to someone at a good bike shop. Avoid the hassle that we are going through. If you do buy the Pedego , use a credit card and make absolutely sure that you can return it. Keep all the packing material and the box. You might just need it.

Biking is a big thing in our small retirement community and there are two bike shops to handle the biking. They couldn't stay in business if they didn't sell a good product and follow it up with good service. They have been in business for many years. We were told that we could buy a high quality electric bike from them for about $1500 and it would be backed up by the bike shop.

I can say that we bought the Swagman Bike Rack over the internet and it seems to be top quality and works well.

Good luck, Joe
Old 02-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by suwanneefl View Post
Please for give a small sidetrack from a newby but has anyone any experience with the Pedego electric bike? I am seriously considering buying one..These unit were displayed at the Tampa supershow.
i purchased 2 chinese made mongoose-currie-ezip electric bicycles from walmart on the internet for $300 each in 2006.
one of the front wheels was bent when i removed it from the crate. currie in los angeles replaced it promptly.
they are heavy, 75# with the 25# battery installed. i remove the batteries to carry the bikes on the swagman rack on my moho. (see picture in this thread).
the 7 speed derailleur was difficult to adjust as the mechanisms are installed backwards so that the shift mechanism can be a twist grip on the left handlebar.
one of the battery chargers quit working about a year ago.
the batteries are supposed to be good for 1 hour at a full speed of 15 mph. they go 15 mph, but the batteries last for about 10 miles, not 15. we assist by pedaling to get more range and some exercise. the batteries help a lot on hills.
the ergonomics are not right for us. the seat is too high with the post all the way down and the handle bars are too low adjusted all the way up. it is difficult for us to mount and dismount. my dw uses the small folding black stool in the picture to mount and dismount.
i guess these bikes are worth about what we paid for them.

http://www.izipusa.com/pdf/iZipBikeOM2008-10-02.pdf

Ezip Trailz Electric Bike | Ezip Electric Bikes Men | Ezip Electric Bikes

Ezip Trailz Electric Bike | Ezip Electric Bikes Men | Ezip Electric Bikes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00524.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	8170  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #19

I traded some toys last year. Sold my '72 Monte Carlo. Bought a Trek Comfort Bike. Oh, and some cash to boot...

P.S. The coach is behind Door #1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trek and Monte Web Size.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	8171  
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #20

I bought the Blue Ox three bike rack (the tall one, to give clearance for the Blue Ox tow bar) a year ago and never used as I couldn't get the Blue Ox locks for it and it wasn't as stable as I am used to. But understand that I have used a Yamaha 4 bike swing away on the back of my toad for years and I like its stability and security. The problem is using a cover behind the toad due to air resistance. My solution was to use a double receiver hitch adapter at the motor home (one 2' receiver for the bike rack and one 2" receiver for the toad tow bar). I found that with the bikes on the back of the motor home I could swing the bikes away and have room the put the Blue Ox tow bar up when I wanted to without removing the bikes from the rack (close but just enough clearance). This allowed me to cover the bikes while they were in back of the motor home. In addition, I just move the rack to the toad if I want the take the bikes someplace on the toad. While you can get an adapter to put the Blue Ox bike rack on the toad, again I wasn't satisfied with its stability.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:18 PM   #21

Finally ordered the Swagman three bike rack that fits on the extended tow bar coming out of the MH.