Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:01 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Chains from Toad To Tow Dolly

I am curious s to what people think about using the chains that attach between the toad and the tow dolly. I absolutely do not mean the chains between the motorhome and the tow dolly. I would never consider not using those. I think that would be the height of negligence, as I wouldn't trust the hitch or ball that much. I am referring to the chains that connect from the car chassis to the tow dolly frame. I have always crawled under the car to hitch these up but have spoken to several people recently who have said that they think that as long as the webbing over the tires is in good shape, they feel the chains from the chassis to the tow dolly are unnecessary.

I am just looking for others opinions.

Thanks.

Dick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #2

It was always drilled into me that one is none and two is one (IE need a back up plan or safety)

I consider the webbing as the primary connection so as a safety I'd use at least safety chain/ or additional nylon tie straps between toad and dolly.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I used a tow dolly for 10 years and had multiple occasions where webbing worked its way off one or both of the tires. I would NEVER risk NOT using the chains.

PS - After 10 years I saw the light and now I flat tow a Jeep!
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
I bolted the chains to the dolly and simply reach under and snap the loose ends to eyes installed on the car. Using the chains adds about 15 seconds to securing the car. And, as stated by others I have had a strap come off a wheel. It is my guess I failed to ratchet the strap down after getting distracted.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
most states require a safety, whether it is a chain or another strap(I prefer a chain). There are some states that actively check these things, remember that when a state needs money, the troopers will look for anything to generate dollars, especially from out of staters that are passing through.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboatguy View Post
It was always drilled into me that one is none and two is one (IE need a back up plan or safety)

I consider the webbing as the primary connection so as a safety I'd use at least safety chain/ or additional nylon tie straps between toad and dolly.
When buying a dolly those chains are an option on some. I added chains on mine and would never think of towing without using them.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #7

I use plastic coated steal cables instead of chains. I clamped one end outboard of the tire tray and push them thru the slots in the wheels. I hook them back to the tire tray, with snap hooks, bolted inside of the tire tray. You do need open wheels, not full wheel covers.

The only way to loose the toad is if the front wheels come off.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I removed the chains from my dolly and replaced them with coated coiled steel cables. Neither of the cars that I dolly have tow eyes, so I have to loop the cables over the suspension. The chains were scratching the suspension, that's why I did the cable swap. I did have a web strap come off I one tire, after driving down a mile long bumpy dirt road. The safety cable kept the car on the dolly!
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:44 AM   #9

Chains require crawling under, but I would never leave them off. With my luck, the first time I forget to install them will be the first time I need them. They are part of my check list that I assembled based on the ACME EZE Tow video on their web site.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:50 AM   #10

Just wait for a hard stop without the car goes over the dolly don't ask how I know
Old 08-03-2015, 11:59 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If using webbing to hold the car to the dolly I would not feel comfortable on the freeway without a back up plan. The chains are the back up plan.

I tow (normally) 4 Down.. I used to wonder "Will my safety cables hold".. Well I found out (the answer was yes by the way).

So I always go with a back up plan.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #12
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes. that is the third level of redundancy. When one of the web straps fails (or falls off) it shifts all the loads to the other strap. When that fails, it shifts all loads to the chain, but only if its connected..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
All very good responses and reasoning and pretty much what I was thinking, except for the great solutions.

I like the idea of adding eyes to the frame of the toad, just not sure where to attach them. The undercarriage is pretty much covered up with plastic.

The wheels are not solid so I suppose I could feed the chains through them. No stress is going to be put on the wheels unless the webbing gives out. And better to damage a wheel or two rather than one or several cars. Is that thinking on point?

And definitely thanks to all of you for the great input. I'm getting a bit old to be squeezing my chest under a car so often.

Dick
Old 08-03-2015, 03:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick1030 View Post
All very good responses and reasoning and pretty much what I was thinking, except for the great solutions.

I like the idea of adding eyes to the frame of the toad, just not sure where to attach them. The undercarriage is pretty much covered up with plastic.

The wheels are not solid so I suppose I could feed the chains through them. No stress is going to be put on the wheels unless the webbing gives out. And better to damage a wheel or two rather than one or several cars. Is that thinking on point?

And definitely thanks to all of you for the great input. I'm getting a bit old to be squeezing my chest under a car so often.

Dick
Just keep in mind that the chains will be bouncing against the wheels. If you have aluminum wheels they could be scratched.

Tags
dolly, toad, tow, tow dolly

« Tow Dolly | Towing »