Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2013, 04:47 PM   #1

Charge wire questions for toad battery

What size/gauge wire do you use to run a charge wire from the MH to the tow car.

Do you use the coiled wire connector that is used with the taillights and the six way connector? or run a quick disconnect pair of wires separately?

I tried running it through the 6 way and I must have done something wrong as the socket on the car side was very hot. Not sure if there was a strand touching the socket housing or not. I was using 12 ga which was hard to get in the small 6 way pollack connector screw fitting, which is why I suspect maybe one of the strands is hitting ground.
Flattrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have found the correct always hot wire in the 6 pin and ground it should work. As you commented I think you may have a wire whisker strand touching where it should not.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:34 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
If the toad battery and RV batteries are both charged, there would be little current flowing from one to the other. I use the 12 v wire in a Blue Ox 6 pin coiled cord between RV and toad and not had any problems in thousands of miles of towing. I also have auto reset circuit breaker in the line from RV chassis batteries to plug and cord, then another in toad from battery to plug. The CB is just to insure no problems when connecting/ disconnecting.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #4

Thanks, I'll put a fuse in on the motorhome side.

Do they use 12 ga wire on the commercial battery charger kits or somethink like 14 or 16. I am not sure what size is in my roadmaster coiled wire
Flattrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #5

12awg should be minimum for charge line, and 10awg for ground.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattrip View Post
Thanks, I'll put a fuse in on the motorhome side.

Do they use 12 ga wire on the commercial battery charger kits or somethink like 14 or 16. I am not sure what size is in my roadmaster coiled wire
An auto reset breaker might be a better plan. It can be pretty easy to blow even a 30a fuse. 20a auto reset will trip then reset itself. Common to use one on each side.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If the toad battery and RV batteries are both charged, there would be little current flowing from one to the other. I use the 12 v wire in a Blue Ox 6 pin coiled cord between RV and toad and not had any problems in thousands of miles of towing. I also have auto reset circuit breaker in the line from RV chassis batteries to plug and cord, then another in toad from battery to plug. The CB is just to insure no problems when connecting/ disconnecting.
when both are fully charged, my rv battery is 13.7v and my toad battery is 12.6v. i don't have a large amp meter so have not tested what amps are to flow through. do you have a guess? I put an 8a fuse in the line and it has not been blown yet
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, battery