Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob

What year and model toad do you have??
2011 Ram 1500 crew cab 4x4
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj4dirt View Post
Craig_R if you move the M7 fuse up a notch next to the 10 amp it will make the terminal hot all the time. If you had done this you wouldn't have to run a new terminal, though it's always nice to have many. Also, you wouldn't have to leave the key in and run down the battery.
Thanks tj4dirt, I became aware of that trick long after I had already added the new accessory outlet. But, like you say, having an extra is always a nice thing.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #17

I have a solar trickle charger sitting on my toad's dash and plugged into a y adapter for the cig lighter/power outlet where the Brake Buddy and the trickle charger both plug up. Never had an issue. Simple and cheap.
burmashave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You have all the wiring in place. I ran a HOT line from the 7 pin conector to the battery in my honda element that we tow. No more dead battery. no more pulling fuses. Don't worry anymore that I have enough power for the Brake buddy. It is a simple and cheap solution. godd traveling. ed
EDALLSAILS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #19

Adding a self-resetting circuit breaker in the circuit would be smart. Just in case you overload the circuit by mistake - for example starting the toad while still connected to the MH.

Available at Auto Parts stores and on the web. Usually under 10 bucks.

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
I pull my HHR up to 4 days with the key on 24/7 and a switch on a 2 AMP fuse.
Never have ran the battery down.

RoadMaster Air BrakeMaster system. Only battery power used is to turn on a led in the MH dash when the toad brakes are applied.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:28 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
12GA wire from the chassis battery of MH to the Cherokee's battery through the 7 pin (with comparable ground). Fused at the MH end with resettable circuit breaker at the toad end.

I was looking at the Toad Charge but I just don't see $100 worth of benefit. I'll be hooking up the toad last and unhooking it first, most likely with the MH running at the time so I don't see it sitting and draining down the 8-D chassis battery. Jeeps of that vintage have NO power draw with the key in towing position other than whatever braking system one chooses.

Is there something I'm missing?
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
I realize that's a way to do it. Just not sure if there is a possibility of causing problems with the systems of the MH or the toad.
The short answer is the fuse or circuit breaker (prefered) on each end protect BOTH the MH and toad from any electrical issues.

Assuming the motor home and toad batteries are fully charged when you hook the toad up, you're starting out with very similar voltages on both ends. There's not a real big current flow one way or the other through this wire. While traveling, the draw on the motor home system (keeping the toad battery up to snuff) should normally amount to whatever your brake system is using. 12 guage wire is normally used to do this, but as mentioned, smaller might be OK. There's just not that much required of it in this application.

There's nothing new or tricky going on here. As mentioned, 5th wheel and travel trailers are wired exactly this way.

Starting the toad while hooked up to the motor home shouldn't blow a fuse/breaker. The on board toad battery should have PLENTY of power stored up ready to go for that purpose with a charge line in place. If there's a problem starting for whatever reason, and the toad battery's voltage drops way off from fully charged, THEN you would have a large current flow with the motor home system trying to charge the toad battery - due to the difference in voltage MH vs. toad.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #23

Do yoe use the jump starter to start when you unhook the toad or do you have it hooked up while you are moving? If so, please let me know how. I have 4 pin connectors on both vehicles. Rvcaptain@ Gmail.com. Would be grateful for your response...I am not a mechanic
rvcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:12 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Adding a self-resetting circuit breaker in the circuit would be smart. Just in case you overload the circuit by mistake - for example starting the toad while still connected to the MH.

Available at Auto Parts stores and on the web. Usually under 10 bucks.
You need two, one on the RV and one on the towed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #25

You have several options depending on power needs while towing.

I used a batty pack when towing a CR-V & a Brake Buddy when I was planning on running a few days in a row. I installed a switch instead of removing / replacing fuses I could quick & EZ remove most of the parasitic draw.

When I set up "new" MH & Toad I installed a charge line from the MH 7 pin to provide constant charge. I didn't see the advantage of the $50 charge lines but did install a fuse on the Toad and MH had one already.

I think I will still carry the battery pack as insurance and to help others in need.
Most have 12V lighter outlets so EZ to place in in the front and plug in any removable braking system.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:46 PM   #26

Regarding a back up plan, we used to carry a 10 amp charger with us. When arriving at a destination with a dead toad battery (doesn't happen often, but it does happen), you can fire up the genny (if it's not already running), plug the charger in, and the toad battery should be charged well enough to start in half an hour or less. With a 110v recep in the rear of the coach, we didn't even have to unhook the toad to charge.

Another time, that same little charger (powered by the genny) let us proceed the rest of the way home with an alternator that decided to take a time out on the road. Our ability to travel without the time out or financial disaster of having it repaired on the road, saved a ton.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
No need to charge battery

I pulled my car across country and many other places using the Brake Buddy plugged into accessory plug and never had battery problems. No charger and car always started up even after 10 To 12 hours of towing multiple days in a row.
Rob358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:08 AM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you need Aux Brakes on the towed... (What does that have to do with Battery charging?)

My first Towed I put in a US-Gear Unifie Brake Deceleratot

It includes a towed charge lead.