Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #1

Charging toad battery

How do you guys keep the toad battery charged while pulling it? I could wire up a pair of wires directly from the motorhome batteries to the toad battery but I'm not sure if there is the potential for damage to the battery or electrical/electronics of the toad. I suppose I could simply plug in a low-amp charger such as a Battery Minder to the MH and use that.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2HB View Post
How do you guys keep the toad battery charged while pulling it? I could wire up a pair of wires directly from the motorhome batteries to the toad battery but I'm not sure if there is the potential for damage to the battery or electrical/electronics of the toad. I suppose I could simply plug in a low-amp charger such as a Battery Minder to the MH and use that.
Why do you need to charge, is it because you're leaving the ignition in the "on" or "acc" position while towing?

If so, use a battery disconnect switch after hooking up your TOAD. I've had one installed in each of my TOAD's and have never had a problem with a dead battery.

If not, than someone else will no doubt give you a better answer.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami View Post
Why do you need to charge, is it because you're leaving the ignition in the "on" or "acc" position while towing?

If so, use a battery disconnect switch after hooking up your TOAD. I've had one installed in each of my TOAD's and have never had a problem with a dead battery.

I think the op may be using a supplemental brake system that needs the toad battery for power.

If so, this might satisfy his/her needs. TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer

I've used it on our crv toad with no problems.
Fastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:00 AM   #4

As you already have a ground wire in place to run your lights, all you need to do is add a single hot wire from the MH system to the Toad's. It's pretty easy, just make sure there are properly sized fuses/breakers on each end to prevent issues when/if that line is ever shorted or overloaded. All travel trailers and 5th wheels use the same idea, but you really don't need anything as heavy duty as what they're doing.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BpK9Miami

Using a braking system that requires power.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #6

We use a braking system that requires power. We plug it in to a cigar lighter that is always hot. We have towed for 16 hrs with out a problem.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I have the US Gear Unified Tow Brake installed on my toad and it comes with an extra wire in the harness that charges the toad's battery.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastcar

I think the op may be using a supplemental brake system that needs the toad battery for power.

If so, this might satisfy his/her needs. TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer

I've used it on our crv toad with no problems.
Looks like a good solution but I think a low-amp battery charger would be as effective at a lower cost and offer more versatility. Thanks.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
As you already have a ground wire in place to run your lights, all you need to do is add a single hot wire from the MH system to the Toad's. It's pretty easy, just make sure there are properly sized fuses/breakers on each end to prevent issues when/if that line is ever shorted or overloaded. All travel trailers and 5th wheels use the same idea, but you really don't need anything as heavy duty as what they're doing.
I realize that's a way to do it. Just not sure if there is a possibility of causing problems with the systems of the MH or the toad.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #10

If the issue is because you are using a Brake Buddy or another braking system that requires power you can use an auxillary power source like one of these jump starter - Google Search They are handy to have around anyway and you do not have to worry about drawing power for the brake system. We started using one when we were cautioned that the brake system drew power levels near capacity of the in car plug in and that there was a risk of blowing a fuse.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
I realize that's a way to do it. Just not sure if there is a possibility of causing problems with the systems of the MH or the toad.
Try this...Portable Battery Booster Pac - 250 Amps 900 Peak Amps S (10271009336) | eBay
Oldkarphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I ran into this problem when we made our first 2 day journey without unhooking the Jeep from the MH. When we arrived at destination the Jeep battery was dead. My solution was to run a fused wire from the always hot accessory terminal on the light cord from the MH to the positive battery terminal on the Jeep. That provides a constant charge to the Jeep battery while under tow. I also added another accessory outlet to the Jeep that is also fused and hard wired directly to the battery so that it is always hot.

Having done this I no longer have to worry about a dead battery. I don't have to leave a key in the ignition switch and I can leave the Jeep locked while it is under tow. This is a simple, effective and inexpensive solution for under $12 and about an hours labor.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #13

Craig_R if you move the M7 fuse up a notch next to the 10 amp it will make the terminal hot all the time. If you had done this you wouldn't have to run a new terminal, though it's always nice to have many. Also, you wouldn't have to leave the key in and run down the battery.
tj4dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:

What year and model toad do you have??
lllkrob is offline   Reply With Quote