Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Charging "toad" battery from the MH ?

Diesel pusher towing a car with a portable brake system (like BlueOx Patriot)
My specific tow vehicle is diode wired to the current lights (Trailblazer) and with the key off (for towing) and brakes on of course the brake lights come on unless I remove the 2 referenced fuses. I would not like to have to remove the 2 fuses but am concerned on how long the toad battery (with portable brake) will last from the uncharged car battery. I am new to this so havn't tested the "how long" but we do take long 3-4 day tow trips.

There fore I'm looking for a small current charging device that would get the power from my 6 wire (12v+ feed) to keep the toad battery charged for long hauls and to insure the portable brake functions.

Found this device Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer and was wondering if anyone uses this or sees a reason not to. It would be fed from the chassis battery thru the trailer harness.

I simply don't want to have to remove the 2 fuses as part of my hookup process and have the 6 wire harness already.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #2
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
How about a solar charger?

okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have moved this thread from the tow vehicle forum to here where it should get more related viewing.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the trickle charger removed from a battery pack that they install on surge brake trailers. It cost me about $65 to have a pro wire it in and buy the charger. I have not had any trouble since!
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just connected the charge wire from the umbilicle directly to the toad battery.
They say to add some sort of "stuff" or at least a fuse. I didn't, and have had no problems at all, same toad on 2 moho's wired the same way.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Qwert66
Thanks for the comments - wasn't sure if direct wire thru (6 wire) tow harness would carry the load if either battery happened to be down a bit just prior to connecting the harness (direct short/connection of batteries) Seems to make sense and is simple as long as both batteries are at near full charge and I don't question actual experience .
Will probably give this a try as both batteries are fairly new.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:50 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Trick-L-Start is for your chassis battery.. A very simular product called a "Towed Charge" if I'm not mistaken.. Is what you are asking about.. Let me research.

Now that was fast. Found it in ONE TRY, top hit too...
TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer

Alternative suggestions:

US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator.. This is an "Installed" unit, once installed you more or less forget the part in the car, It is out of sight and out of mind when driving the towed (and not in operation I might add) The unit in the motor home gives you more control over your towed brakes than ANY OTHER SYSTEM ON THE MARKET and I happen to feel this is good.

It includes a system for charging the towed, Not as sofisicated as the one above though.

Roadmaster, I think, has a new product, Invisible Brake.. save for the "More control than any other..." part, everything I just typed applies.

I like these systems over the Blue-Ox, Brake Buddy, et-al because you install them ONE TIME and then basically forget 'em. They are invisible,, No tempetation to say "Oh it's too much trouble for such a short trip" and not install it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Look at this! Amazon.com: Bully TC-127 12V Trailer Adapter: Automotive plugs into your motor home adds 12 volt ports.
I run a fused 14 ga wire from Car battery to a 12 volt power plug and plug directly into the 12 volt port on this adaptor.. Many folks have done the same when they have seem mine .
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #9

I ran a #10 wire from the seven pin connector to the tow vehicle battery. I put a 30 amp fuse and an on/off switch at the tow vehicle battery. The RV side of that seven pin wire should be fused (I hope) by the manufacturer. I used plug connections I bought at NAPA and that wire & the wiring for the tow lights can be easily removed from the RV and the tow car.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #10
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwert66 View Post
Thanks for the comments - wasn't sure if direct wire thru (6 wire) tow harness would carry the load if either battery happened to be down a bit just prior to connecting the harness (direct short/connection of batteries) Seems to make sense and is simple as long as both batteries are at near full charge and I don't question actual experience .
Will probably give this a try as both batteries are fairly new.
To be safe install a thermal breaker near the battery connection on the toad. You can buy them at an automotive store for less than ten bucks. You obviously understand battery charging based on your statement. A breaker will open and close until the batteries level out enough if one is really down. Do NOT do this without a fuse or breaker. The breakers are self resetting and easy to install. If an unfused wire shorts you can easily burn the vehicle or worse. I do 12 volt electrical systems on vehicles for a living. Please please protect the wire.

One of my installers just blew a 150 amp fuse in an ambulance. Thank goodness it had the fuse or the new ambulance and my building would be in the hands of firefighters. He also had to go to the hospital to get my number nine removed for not following proper safety procedures.

Always, ALWAYS, remove the negative lead when doing installs and removals. This mistake cost me over $1000 in lost labor due to troubleshooting time. It could have been much worse.

Oh, did I suggest using a fuse?

Ok, off my soapbox. Be safe

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging