Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2015, 09:09 AM   #1

Cherokee Leaving a Sour Taste

I picked up a 2015 Cherokee Limited AD II in January. I set it up to tow behind our Bay Star class A. I have experienced absolutely no problems towing the car. We have about 3,000 towing miles on her. In September I started having issues with the left headlight turning on by itself. I put the car in the shop to get it looked at. They were not able to re-create the problem, but while it was in there, they updated the TCM, BCM, PCM as well as the uConnect software on the radio. Within 3 weeks, I started having problems with the Stop/Start system, transmission shifting, and 4WD System Unavailable. I dropped the car off at the Jeep Service Center on October 2 and except for 2 weekends (picked it up Friday, dropped it back off Monday with issues) is has been, and is still in the shop.

So far it has received numerous software updates, a new TCM, a new transmission, and one wiring harness (not sure which one). To Jeep/Chrysler's credit, they have provided me a rental car, and are doing their best to fix it. They are now emailing back and forth with the Chrysler techs looking at resistance of different wires in the harness. I have been told it's a slow process. I have been assured that they will fix it. The checks in the mail, and I will respect you in the morning come to mind.

Does anyone have experience with the lemon laws? I love the Cherokee. I drives and rides well. It tows wonderfully. But it has reached the point where I don't have any confidence in the car, or quite frankly, Jeeps ability to fix it.

The in the shop days count sits at 30. Realistically, is it time to file a claim, or should I wait a while longer?

I know the different options for the Lemon Law are:

Replace it with the same model
Replace it with a different model from the same manufacturer
Cash buy back
Trade it in on another tow car

The last option would be to trade it in. That would have the greatest negative financial impact on us. trade in hit + new baseplate and wiring harness.

Lastly, if anyone is looking to get a Cherokee.... Don't. If you still want to do it, NEVER let them update the software that came with the car.
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #2

not sure of your state but in fla it is 3 failed repairs same item or 30 days in the shop meet lemon law requierments but you must send chrysler a letter informing them and give them "last chance to fix it" I would send the leter to protect yourself.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #3

If lemon law works, get as much of your money back as you can. Then get a 2012 or 2013 Honda CRV, which will probably have the fewest problems of any vehicle you could tow. Most of our Good Sam members in our club have Honda's. I got the Jeep Liberty back in 2008 and haven't had too many problems, but wouldn't buy it again. Dave
Old 11-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegro1x View Post
If lemon law works, get as much of your money back as you can. Then get a 2012 or 2013 Honda CRV, which will probably have the fewest problems of any vehicle you could tow. Most of our Good Sam members in our club have Honda's. I got the Jeep Liberty back in 2008 and haven't had too many problems, but wouldn't buy it again. Dave
Since the towed is also my daily driver, I wanted something a little more comfortable than a CRV. I thought I had the right mix with the Cherokee. I have never had a vehicle spend as much time in the shop as this one has. I am in uncharted waters.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2005 Grand Cherokee, it worked flawlessly prior to the recall for the Neutral Transfer switch which I had back in Mid 2013. For over a year the neutral transfer worked about 1/2 the time and left my wife stranded twice. The first time she had to take it to a dealer in NY and they reflashed the computer. It worked for ~2 months and then down in Florida it did the same thing we ended up driving it back home.

I reported this to Customer service, NHTSA, and the local shop. Chrysler pretty much denied there was a problem. I sent the local shop manager an email with about a dozen links to sites reporting the problem.

I finally got another recall notice earlier this year, it seems to have fixed the neutral switching issue but soon after that I would loose all electric on the dash (no AC, radio, instruments) but the Jeep would still drive.

They put out another recall mid last year and finally got the notice to fix the ignition switch. Got that done Monday, and at the same time the service manager handed me a list of "suggested" maintenance items, probably totaling $2500. I said THANKS but NO THANKS, the next thing to happen with the Jeep is it's going to get SOLD.

I am completely disappointed with my Jeep and the customer service that they provided. I would never buy another one.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #6

sounds like switches are not reliable - old style lever usually works all the time. Dave
Old 11-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You didn't specify in your original post what type of light wiring harness you used to connect the Cherokee to the MH. Have you considered that you may have gotten feedback into the Jeep's harness from the light wiring? Just a wild thought.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

The wiring harness is the Demco plug in harness. It was installed in March of 2015 and has caused no issues that I am aware of. The dealer called today and said they found 2 loose pins in a harness. T
hey had corrected it, and were road testing it. I called 90 minutes later to find out that it had thrown another code at the end of the test drive. They are no closer to fixing it, than they were last week.

I called Jeep Customer Service and told them I wanted someone to begin looking at the case for a Lemon Law Replacement. They have escalated it and assigned a case worker to look things over. I'm going to try and be nice and see how it goes. Mom always said be nice, until it's time to not be nice.

Love the car. Love the way it tows. Just need a new more dependable version.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:15 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
So many of the newer model cars have software to protect either ourselves or the car. The problem is they didn't install any self diagnostic software. Jeeps are well documented with software problems, see the Jeep forums- they are a good one to stay away from. The earlier models were more reliable, 99 to 04 GC for instance with the Limited or Overland (best choice)- they were also the last ones to have the live front axle. The 2000 to 2005 GM based Equinox and it's stable mates with the push button transfer case can be flat towed as they have a neutral combination that can be accessed easily. There are lots of them around and they don't seem to be having the problems that Jeep finds themselves in.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #10

Bill sounds like you are in Maryland? From the MD Atty Generals office

https://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/lemon.htm Your 30 days cumulative at the dealer seems to apply.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Seems the Italians aren't very good at maintaining the dependability of an American product. Where's Iacoca when you need him.
vman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Bill sounds like you are in Maryland? From the MD Atty Generals office

https://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/lemon.htm Your 30 days cumulative at the dealer seems to apply.
As far as days in the shop, I'm not sure what counts as a day. When I drop it off during business hours, does that count as a day? How about when the car is ready late in the afternoon?

I picked the car up this afternoon. They said it was ready. The service rep said he put 40 miles on it himself. Brought the car home. Drove 10 miles no problems. Yes!!! Went to head out to dinner, and it didn't think the key fob was in the vehicle. Not only was my key fob in the car, so was my wife's. Had to open the door, close the door and hit the start button about 10 times before it would engage the starter. So needless to say it is once again headed for the shop on Monday. I am definitely going to do something with the lemon law. I'm just not sure which direction to go. Replacement, Trade for Grand Cherokee or buy back.

We shall see. 👀
Old 11-06-2015, 10:29 PM   #13

I sure don't like the sound of you problems with your Jeep, as I have a '15 that I am in love with. I have 19,000 miles on it, my only problem has been an O2 sensor that likes to turn on the check engine light. I have a friend with a Cherokee, that is towing his, and he has said nothing about trouble with it. When he gets here I will sure find out how his is working.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaTOne65 View Post
I sure don't like the sound of you problems with your Jeep, as I have a '15 that I am in love with. I have 19,000 miles on it, my only problem has been an O2 sensor that likes to turn on the check engine light. I have a friend with a Cherokee, that is towing his, and he has said nothing about trouble with it. When he gets here I will sure find out how his is working.
GreaTOne,

It looks like today is your lucky day. You have a Grand Cherokee. While it shares some of the same lineage as my Cherokee, they are not experiencing the growing pains of the new model.

I am undecided on the best way to go. Replacement may be the easiest route. Then hope the replacement doesn't exhibit the same problems as the current one. The baseplate and harness could be transferred over from old to new (hopefully at Jeeps expense). As I said in an earlier post, I really like the Cherokee. it rides and tows well. No keys to turn and no fuses to pull. I also need to keep the weight under 5,000 lbs, with an automatic transmission. There aren't that many choices in the 4 down group.

I will wait and see how Jeep responds to my case. One thing is certain, the jeep that currently reside in the driveway (occasionally) days are numbered.