Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chevolet Avalanche Transmission Problem

I have an Chevy Avalanche Transmission Problem.

The transmission will not change from the "tow neutral" position to one of the drive positions.

This started last fall when after towing I could not get it to cycle back to normal drive positions. I was ready to have it towed to the chevy dealer the next morning but it worked then as it should have. I drove it to the dealer anyway and they cycled it back and forth from "drive" to "tow" and could not find anything wrong with it.

It has happened twice since then but always finally worked as we kept trying.

Yesterday it happened again. This time I have tried over a dozen times but still no go. I will have the truck towed to repair place but suspect they will not have a clue as to what might be wrong.

My question is has this happened to anyone else with a General Motors AWD vesicle. If so, could a positive fix be found.

My guess it is a bad wire or connection somewhere.

Thanks, John Abbott
2004 Winnebago Journey 39'
2004 Chevrolet Avalanche tow
RRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We had the same problem with a Silverado. It was a stuck solenoid. Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes then see if it works.
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #3

It has only happened to me once and I could not get it into towing mode. Had the wife follow me for about 45 minutes and them pulled off and was able to get it into towing mode. Just found out last week that mine is having some solenoid issues.
mgosselin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks Our Time. I will try that. I charged the battery all last night in case that could be the problem.

Do you know where the solenoid is? Maybe if I get a big hammer!

Thanks, John Abbott
Old 01-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Some posts online also reference a brake switch that tells the trans that the brake pedal was depressed (not the owner, just the pedal...) so it can safely shift.

You may want to check that too.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys, I just went out and made sure brake was depressed and it worked. I did not have to disconnect the battery.

You folks are great. -- John Abbott
Old 01-21-2012, 09:39 PM   #7

tow mode problem

good evening gentlemen
I tow a number of different trailers with a 2002 Avalanche and had the tow mode crap out on it, it turns out that a common problem is the switch wiring at the end of the gearshift base in the steering column breaks because they are the size of speaker wire. I took the column cover off and removed the gearshift, took it to the workbench and soldered the wires together and covered the repair with 2 layers of shrink wrap last summer and have had no problems since. It takes a little time but saves alot of money in a repair bill if it is indeed the problem. It looks like when pushing the tow/haul mode button nothing happens, if you wiggle the gearshift while pushing the button it will sometimes work, if it happens like this it's probably the wire at the base of the gearshift.
check out www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com
do a search on trans problems and the wire fix is there.
Hope you get it fixed
Don
Doneuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It happened again. This time trying to get in neutral so we could tow to FMCA rally at Brooksville. My wife (who usually sets up the tow) pumped the trucks brakes until she got shift panel to light up. Then she was able to get it neutral so could tow. Pumping the brakes may have not done anything. I could have just been dumb luck. No answer.

We then towed for a couple of hours and then shifted truck back to "drive" with no problem. I know sometime our luck will run out an we will not be able to tow or drive the tow.

John Abborr, 2004 Winnebago Journey
2004 Chevy Avalanche